How much have you spent on your cooking knife,Veeky Forums? Do you have a special knife?

How much have you spent on your cooking knife,Veeky Forums? Do you have a special knife?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3Z49G6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Entire roll cost me a bit over 2k
> Pic related
Just bought a massive end grain board too, popped $200 for it

>sideways peeler

why

and also: no boning knife?

I got the Amazon set for like $25

link?

amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3Z49G6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ive had this yoshihiro chef knife that my chef gave me while i was his apprentice. when i find someone worthy and im able to see the endless potential that my chef saw in me in him or her, ill pass it down along with the knife roll i was given. its among my most prized possessions

>knife weeb

are you even a chef or wwhat

I'd really like to try out a nice rune knife. Any favorite brands out of the ones you have?

Pic related is my knife rack.

Ugh, you made me all jelly last time you posted your $200 or whatever custom knife roll. As much as I'd love to buy that shit for myself I'd be embarrassed to take it out anywhere in case anyone called me out on spending that kind of money on a fucking knife roll.

Can you recommend me a good chinese cleaver Veeky Forums?

It's actually my preferred peeler, able to do a bag of carrots with ease
Not a chef, but i'd consider my work place of the higher-end; having good tools help
Not sure what that is, but as for favourites, Masakage for sure. Takeda might compete, but I haven't gotten to try one out yet
> inb4 muh kurouchi
Definitely get some eyes rolling with "why would you spend that much on knives?", but those who work in kitchen appreciate the quality and artistry of them. If you were to check out KNF, there are people who spend a truly absurd amount on knives, heh.
It's a hobby of mine, which justifies it a bit for my co-workers

bought a kitchen knife at the supermarket for 4 dollars. works great.

Forgot to mention; been looking to get a Honesuki some time soon, can't find quite the right profile though. Might be the perfect time to get a Takeda!
But with such an nice brand being limited to doing butchery, it seems like a waste.

If anyone could recommend a nice brand, it'd be appreciated

I am not that guy but I am a chef. While I do kind of appreciate the knives, I cannot help but think anyone, even a chef, who drops that much on knives must be kind of a blow hard. And I have numerous $200 plus pocket knives.

Where do you work and what do you do that requires such a wide variety of high end pieces of cutlery?

And why can you not simply develop the skills to do it all with an 8 inch western chefs knife or gyotu like every single other person I have ever worked with?

This.
Chef as well.
Is a tripfag who got ignored on the knife board.

>a bit over 2k
holy shit kys

you can buy a decent set for 30USD

>why do you NEED a mercedes, why not just drive a ford focus

Not the point, like at all. My go to knives are all quite expensive. But their are three of them I will actually take to work. And even that is one too many.

In a professional kitchen you end up filling up benchspace with sharp metal, it takes time to clean them down and put them away, and you can only use one at a time.

You are simply fetishizing shit to the detriment of your kitchen and skillset if you are breaking out that much cutlery every shift.

And guy isn't even a chef. Meaning he probably doesn't even need ANY of those knives at work. Therefore he doesn't need the roll to carry them around. etc. etc.

And I talked myself out of buying my second two hundred dollar plus Gyuto in as many weeks today, and I also have numerous highish end pocket knives, so I am not unsympathetic to the types of retards who blow too much money on knives.

I am just trying to understand why someone would spend that much money on cutlery.

damn, dude.
I'm and agreeing with you, but why you got to be so much me? Are you me?
Except I've gotten over taking my knives to work anymore; just don't use them enough at work to bother carrying them back and forth.

Dunno. I even take my own labeling tape and markers to work so I don't have to search for the communal ones. Shit, I even carry my own highlighter around to make sure we know which tables have got entrees. And I try to stone my knives sharp enough to push cut paper every other week at the very least.

I don't think I would ever want to rely on a piece of burred pot metal that gets passed around the whole kitchen.

And I have never worked in a kitchen with decent communal knives.

I like this post.

> no photo of goat knife
sadface.png

got a three dollar knife from target. i use it as my slicer, my dicer, my stirrer and occasionally fork. feels good

I've just recently come back off the bench (was behind a desk "cheffing" for a few years).
Still not doing a lot of knife work, but I you've inspired me to start taking my knives to work again.
Agreed -Just taking my chef's knife, serrated, and paring (which almost never gets used). Ceramic honing rod, sharpie, smart phone, and a wine key; that's all I need.

Day to day set. Cost me about $750 or so.

Everyone is always jelly of the blue handled shiki.

knife rolls are a meme.

The only knife you could ever need is the chinese cleaver.
And a peeler on the side.

>fell for the gyuto ruse, love it
>local shop carries chinese cleavers real cheap
>don't need one but I want one anyway

This is the beginning of a problem, isn't it

Except shun is trash but okay

>The only knife you could ever need is the chinese cleaver.
Someone's been watching too much anime.

lol

Bob kramers and oxo tools...why because i can afford it.

>expensive knives
You're all cucks. You're not paying for steel or craftsmanship. You're paying for ponce.
Forged or barstock (read as milled) doesn't make any difference in the kitchen.

This lad knows what's up:

You need something with a serrated edge user...

>Quality of steel doesn't affect edge retention, ease of sharpening or resistance to staining
>ergonomics don't matter

>seriously suggesting a folding carbon steel knife for professional applications

You are actually retarded.

$11

>>Quality of steel doesn't affect edge retention, ease of sharpening or resistance to staining
Didn't say that. I said that the lads weren't paying for steel.

>>ergonomics don't matter
literally the cheapest part...

>>seriously suggesting a folding carbon steel knife for professional applications
It's tape.
They make ~5 inch opinel, that's good enough.
As for edge geometry, you can remedy that yourself in under 25 minutes.

>One knife fags
You've never wondered what some other knife is like? There is nothing wrong with have a good knife available to you at any time.

>Multi Knife fags
On a cooks salary, you definitely should be investing your money elsewhere.

chicago cutlery peeler, utility, bread, chef's knife. maybe $30 for all of it
$10 winco cleaver
some filet knife and honing rod out of a porta-filet set my grandpa got me
$15 for the magnetic strip
does everything I want. feels good man

>>Didn't say that. I said that the lads weren't paying for steel.

Except I was one of the lads and I did. I found the best value chunk of VG 10 I could.

>>literally the cheapest part...
Yeah, well designed shit never costs more...

>5 inches is enough for anywhere close to most of the applications I use my knife for
You need at least 8, and even that can come up short for some things...

>>As for edge geometry, you can remedy that yourself in under 25 minutes.

Is not even that important relative to the depth of the blade and the lack of a full tang.

I can accept that I spend a little for ponce as you said, But finish, build quality, steel and ergonomics are all much more important to me.

Also your hurr durr all sharp metal is the same retardation highlights you have never had to rely on using cutlery in your profession.

Protip; if you don't want to come off as a know nothing tool about this shit suggest stamped victorinox with the rosewood handle. It is simply the best balance of cost and quality on the market and the mark of choice for every butcher I have discussed knives with...

>trying to claim a shitty pocketknife is better than any kind of proper chefs knife for cooking

0/10 b8 m8

I spend next to nothing on my blades because I know how to sharpen steel because I was trained by an old school luthier. I spend a few hours sharpening up these 3 dollar santokus and they last for years. They're arm hair shaving sharp with a jewelers rouge on strop.

That's a birdseye maple cutting board with a honduras rosewood crosspiece. Rosewood is kinda poisonous but not enough to worry about.

if each of those santoku are $3 each you could have just bought a decent victorinox or tojiro and sharpened it once

But I'm minimalist and don't like clutter so thats just me.

My knaifu.

> Having multiple of the same exact knives
W h y A n o n W h y
>> I know how to sharpen steel
> Pull through sharpener
Congrats, you pull a blade through a grinder

Uuuuuuggggh. Dude. I hope you get to know some good knives some day. You seem to at least care.

If that is a powered grinder, you do realise that you run the risk of friction fucking with your temper, leading to increased brittelness and therefore chips along your edge.

If not, you realize that it will still lead to micro serrations that will not come out on a leather strop right?

t. someone who sharpens two or three knives to razor sharp by hand every week.