Any Chinese guys online wanna tell me the secret to good fried rice?

Any Chinese guys online wanna tell me the secret to good fried rice?
I this is my first attempt at chicken fried rice and it didn't come out too terribly but could obviously be better. I kept it simple with:
>chopped chicken
>white rice
>canned peas and carrots
>eggs
>low sodium soy sauce
Cooked on a frying pan on an electric stovetop.
Given what I have, where could I make more improvements? I feel like it tastes a bit bland and the rice is really sticky and clumpy. Never been able to get rice down beyond "good enough".

I'm away you should use a gas stove, a wok, and the rice should probably be cooked in a cooker, but I have none of that.

Other urls found in this thread:

ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Use leftover rice, or rather rice that has been cooked the night before and cooled.

Add sesame oil.

Add scallions.

Not Chinese, but you want high heat (you can't use a nonstick pan), day old rice, and not mushy canned vegetables.

>canned peas and carrots

in what universe would this be a good idea to add to anything

you didn't wait for your rice to even cool, you are supposed to use cold rice.

>Use leftover rice, or rather rice that has been cooked the night before and cooled.
I've read this but just used rice that was in the fridge for an hour. What's the difference, really? I feel like it would still be one giant clump after the fact.

>Add sesame oil.
In the cooking process or what?

>you want high heat (you can't use a nonstick pan)
That's all I got. Why not?

It's easy.

I don't know m8 it just works better. And yeah just add a healthy glug of sesame towards the end of cooking

Also fuck canned veg what is this WW2

Fresh veggetables, the rice texture is better after sitting in a fridge overnight, experimentation as usual.

It shouldn't be as salty as places make it, a good fried rice doesn't need much sodium. It helps to cook it in the fat of the meat after taking the meat out so it doesn't overcook.

It's drier, the grain identity(just made that up) is more distinguishable. Personally it's not a big deal to me. Add a few drops of sesame oil to the water of the rice and if you like you can add a star anise.

My personal touch is a pinch of sugar or a tiny drizzle of honey, sounds dumb but it gives it that pop in flavor that a lot of times the lower fat lower sodium content fried rice lacks

>That's all I got. Why not?
Teflon will release fumes above 450F and you want to go above that to slightly char the rice and vegetables and to prevent the rice from sticking. Low and slow makes a clumpy mess. Since you have an electric stove, you probably want to get a pan with a high heat capacity, otherwise, when you add food to the pan it'll cool too much. Also skip the low sodium soy sauce since that tends to be bland.

Not a chink but day old rice and get your oil as hot as possible before the rice goes in. The electric hob is also not helping. If your rice is coming out clumpy try rinsing it first. Also ensure you salt the water you're cooking it in.

That's really all this was is experimenting.

>If your rice is coming out clumpy try rinsing it first. Also ensure you salt the water you're cooking it in.
Did that. Did nothing.

I heard that was a myth. The bottle of oil says if it's too hot then it starts smoking and that's bad. Especially since a fart will set off my apartment's fucking smoke detectors.

>Did that. Did nothing.
Are you leaving it for a day or at least overnight? This matters. Also what type of rice? I suspect the cause it the electric hob and not getting the oil hot enough.

I wish I took a pic last night because I made chicken fried rice for dinner.

For me this is how I make it.

You'll need, chopped onion, 2 c frozen mixed vege, 3 eggs, chicken breast, left over rice, light soy sauce, sesame oil, white pepper, canola oil.

Have the mix vegetables in a pot with hot water, dice the chicken breast, whisk the eggs lightly, in a hot wok or frying pan (former is best) add 4 Tbs canola oil, fry the chicken until white all ovcer, add the onions and fry everything until cooked, remove from wok, add whisk eggs and stir it around so it looks scramble but not rubbery, add rice, and toss until hot, add the chicken and onion and toss, add soy sause 2 Tbs sesame oil and tsp white pepper. Toss. Add vegetables in last to maintain the color. Give it a final toss. Serve and add chopped spring onion on top.

Yeah, first time I made fried rice like 4 years ago I put fish oil in it and it was terrible.

Keep it simple. Cook your egg/meat, pull it out, little oil and a small amount of minced garlic, get it real hot, throw your veggies in and cook as much as you want, throw your rice in, add seasonings/sauces, usually just soy sauce and maybe some sambal for spice, add protein and then taste. If it lacks a punch add more soy sauce or a little something sweet

If you eat fried rice from a Chinese place it's often packed with sodium so a lot of times homemade fried rice is underwhelming, add a lot of good Chinese cut veggies to give it flavor instead of a shitload of soy sauce. I don't wash my rice, it's fortified and I really don't give a shit about the added stickiness from the starch. If anything I like my end result to be gooey with fat/sauce a bit

Sorry, for the shitty instructions. I'm in the middle of an experiment.

So day-old rice really is the make it or break it factor then, eh? I guess I'll keep that in mind for next time.
On a related topic, how do you prepare stir fry? I made some a few months ago and it came out awesome. Just wondering if I could improve upon it.

Grapeseed oil, aromatics, fats (chicken, egg, pork, etc), vegetables, rice, sauce (2 tsp soy sauce with 1 tsp corn starch, at least).

You don't need a wok, but it makes it way easier.

Once your oil is hot, your drop in and stir fry (key word is STIR) each thing for a at least minute before dropping the next thing in.

It piles up, but it all works out in the end.

and yeah old rice is a make or break, it's not as sticky as fresh rice.

For me, I try and use fresh verges when ever I can. But, I usually make a honey soy chicken and use that marinate in the stir fry. Would you like the recipe?

>pic related.
>cutting for summer

>The bottle of oil says if it's too hot then it starts smoking and that's bad.
You're putting too much oil in. You want enough so that the rice doesn't stick but develops a nice char.

leftover rice
fry your eggs quickly first (half cooked, half runny) and put it in a bowl. you don't want it fully cooked at this point just some solid parts.
high heat
meats first
chuck your rice in
soy sauce
oyster sauce (that umami shit)
throw the eggs in there now and stir it up
sesame oil
green onions

done

the maillard reaction is a huge component.

i cheat by toasting the uncooked rice first. once it's cooked, that rice goes in the fridge overnight. it gets a seconds browning in a roaring hot pan of oil.

How well does that work out? What does the end product look, taste, and feel like?

flavor is the same as restaurant fried rice, but admittedly it can be a bit soft and mushy. sometimes the rice grains split open.

as mentioned before you need oil...veggie oil or peanut oil was what the Chinese mostly used when I lived there.

also pork fat.

I usually add my egg sin at the end... I make a small "nest" in the middle of the pan, crack the eggs in, let them cook some and stir them around a bit before combining them with everything else. I find this much easier than cooking them, removing them and adding them in again later.

What I do.

Day old/leftover whiterice. Just cook some up the night before and let it sit out. I just steam some in the mircrowave, I don't care.

Large pan you can get very hot. Non-stick is generally not advisable. If your oil is burning and smells, it's too hot.

Cook meat in same pan and set aside.

Add oil, let it get hot. Add aromatics and chopped or julienne veggies....garlic, ginger, onion or leeks, carrots, it's generally what I always use, and saute briefly. Large vegetables like broccoli or pea pods I make separately. Add some soy sauce at the end and stir it around.

Add rice and meat and more soy sauce, and salt or MSG, pepper, and stir it up. Let it fry, turn it over, let it fry. Just keep folding it over. Add soy sauce as needed.

If you're making a lot of rice, fry the rice in batches.

Personally, I make the eggs while cooking the rice. Just push the rice off to the side and cook the eggs in the center. Mix it together when the eggs are half-cooked. Or even just dump the egg mix over the rice and let it cook on its own.

I love that bite of a large piece of egg embedded with some carrot, a piece of meat, and a clump of charred rice in one.

Top with a light drizzle of toasted sesame oil.

This user knows it. If you don't have leftover rice, toast to a very light brown.

My chink friend would eat white rice with gross fried eggs on it

So there ya go m8

LIGHT SOY SAUCE + DARK SOY SAUCE + FISH SAUCE. POOR IT IN WHILE FRYING THE RICE.

literally and unironically

>PAN, NICE AND HOT

most gwai lo will fail on this first critical step

if the pan aint hot, you're a thot

seriously just try this.

Everyone in thread wrong. You never learn our ancient secret round eyes. Fuck gwailo americans

>low sodium soy sauce

uhhhhhhh

Also make sure the rice isn't too wet, and add more MSG

u forgot the eggs

day old rice. its drier and less gummy. absorbs flavor. lowers cooking time required to cook out liquid

oil
chicken
soy
stir
rice
soy(or broth if handy)
stir
veg
soy
stir
(egg in bowl, soy, stir slightly)
stir
done

oh and also shallots and garlic in first oil but not on your list for some reason

Not him, but I'd like the recipe.

a bit of this

with some of this

>use refrigerated day old white rice
>sesame oil
>regular soy sauce you cuck
>ginger

it'll taste so authentic you'll swear your dick got smaller.

(mom is half Chinese)

Where is your msg?

Sweet,

For my honey soy stir fry for two people.

I marinate my chicken, cut the vegetables, fry everything.

So for my marinate, I use 2 Tsp honey, 1 clove of glaric crushed and chopped, 2 tsp grated ginger, 1 tsp Brown sugar, 1/4 cup light soy sauce, heat over low heat to melt, set aside and let it cool. Marinate one chicken breast (cubed). Let it sit in the fridge ideally overnight or all day.

For verges my favorite are zucchini, onion, carrot, green beans and broccoli. Cut into bites size pieces. But for carrots I Blanche it quickly to soften it just a tad.

In a hot wok, add 4 Tsp of canola oil and heat until hot. Add the chicken and cook until done, set it aside. With the left over marinate, heat in a pot with 1 Tsp corn flour with cold water and stir to thicken. Cook onions first then the rest of the vegetables. They should be about 80% cooked, add chicken, and add the marinate. Cost everything and give it one last toss. Serve on white rice. When perfected it should only take 20 min prep and cook. It's one of my fast got to get back to work meal.

>day old rice
>regular soy
>fresh vegetables
These are all pretty much crucial. Keep in mind the end dish should be fairly dry. Also make sure you're frying off everything individually beforehand then putting them aside. Considering I can't see any egg in there, I sure hope you didn't just pour it in there. Fry that shit off into a thin omelette type thing then chop it into strips up before throwing it in.

Friedrice is all about dryness. The dryer your ingredients the better it is.

So high heat and add ingredients that are dry or precooked, don't use so much soy sauce that it turns the rice wet. Also it's called fried rice because you use the hot oil to coat each grain of rice with oil so oil first then add rice then add the other ingredients after coating each grain with oil.

more like 660 degrees F. PTFE is safe even at very hot temperatures.

///Ultimate Guide Coming Through///

1) Day in advance. Boil Rice With slightly less water than regular 1cup basmati rice and 1 cup water.
2) Put in some kind of tray and keep in fridge for 24hrs.
3) Just stirfry on really hot temps with chicken and veggies. You need to add soysauce or other stirfry sauces during the cooking.
4) Dont be afraid to add little water if the rice is still hard. You shouldnt need to but it just helps final cooking sometimes.

This board is racist as fuck towards Chinese so very unlikely you'll get an actual Chinese recipe

I'm Chinese and I gave OP my recipe.

I dunno man all I'm seeing is day old rice and high heat. That's sufficient for a mediocre fried rice but not a good one

>basmati rice
>chinese cooking

nigga if u cant eat it with chopsticks u dun fucked up that is some poo in loo variety u using.

Step it up and make your life magical with jasmine rice.

chinese places always add a small amount of sugar

so what's your advice?

only gweilo think sesame oil belongs anywhere near fried rice.

>peas carrots

fucking this.

op the answer is simple. cold day old REFRIGERATED DRY rice + FUCKING HOT lightly oiled wok + constant movement. eggs is optional. even soy sauce and other flavouring like oyster sauce is optional. salt + pepper + chopped green onion. finely minced sauteed yellow onion, garlic or shallot is nice if you like those flavor. really what you put in the fried rice is preference, but the essentials is dry rice can easily be separated into grains, a really hot wok, and attention and care in frying the rice.

Do batch cooking to keep the heat high.

Cook your meat, remove

Cook your tofu, remove

Cook your veges, remove

Fry garlic in oil

Add rice, mix with garlic and oil, add soy sauce, fry for a while

move to one side of wok/pan and add a little extra oil in bare space. Scramble a few eggs there and incorperate after they're cooked.

Fry for a while

Add little bit of sugar, more soy sauce (tasting), little bit of sesame, mix everything back in, and serve.

Well first thing I wouldn't use dry old rice.

I thought I was the only one that caught that he didnt use jasmine

switching from basmati to jasmine upped my asian food game so hard.

Still use basmati for some stuff though.

>kecap manis
is best soy. Its sweet AND salty so you dont have to add sugar like a lot of places do.

Ive made plenty of fried rice from same day rice, as long as its cool itll work fine but straight from cooker to pan is lame, but ive done it in a pinch.

It's a good variety of rice, but it's not for frying. But hey if you like it that's all it matters.

Your rice looks gross

This board is racist as fuck toward everyone. You're not a unique snowflake, Wang.

Did you scramble the eggs, take it out and cook the veggies/rice then add in the eggs at the end?

Can confirm, Chinese here. But like everyone else, I love nigger chicken and spic tacos. The love we have for food is what bonds us together.

>660 F
Nope. That's for "significant decomposition of the coating" according to DuPont. Toxic particles are released at 464 degrees F. Most of these nonstick pans are only rated for 450 degrees F degrees anyway; some of the really cheap ones can't handle above 350 degrees F.
ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen

I meant to say racist towards Chinese food, so it's unlikely to see someone who knows how to actually cook it. And judging from what I've read nobody actually knows how to make authentic fried rice.

>batch cooking
This.

Are you trying to stir fry with sesame? Maybe you should look up the smoke point. Use peanut oil.

tell us then

Depends highly on the type of sesame oil being used.

Normal sesame oil is commonly used to stir-fry. It's also traditional for deep frying tempura. But that type of sesame oil is fairly uncommon in the west.

TOASTED sesame oil is the one with the low smoke point and would indeed be silly to use for a stir-fry.

The main issue is that you can't get most consumer oven ranges hot enough to properly stir fry in America

Asians cooking at home buy propane or butane campstove style burners that will output ~14k BTUs

Yep, and people keep telling OP to use refrigerated rice

Most people don't even own decent woks, fuck the 14k BTU burner the point is moot

Why get a decent wok though if you can only put it on an electric coil that outputs 5k BTU max

Regarding day old rice.... listen to me OP. I'm not a chink but I've been tweaking my fried rice recipe for over 10 years.

You CAN use freshly cooked rice as follows. Cook the rice only 75-80%. Then rinse it with some cold water from the tap. It should be just warm and most of the stickiness washed off. The rice should be just slightly unpleasantly crunchy.

The thing is, when you cook rice 100%... the outer layer is gluey and sticky and contains a lot of water. When it's been in the fridge for a day or two the harder centre has time to reabsorb some of this moisture and this makes the outside easier to fry.

The rinsed, undercooked rice - when fried - quickly reabsorbs the thin layer of rinsing water, cooking the centre to perfection. I find this also works well if you want to prepare steamed rice in advance and finish it in the microwave on demand.

Rice cooker is a dumb $500 meme, you don't need it. You do however have to rinse the starch off properly and measure the water correctly. That way you won't get rice that is excessively sticky. If you fucked up cooking the rice, you can still salvage it by leaving it in your fridge for a few hours before frying, which makes it dry.
If you don't have wok, then at least use newer, non stick pan, the kind that won't have your rice stick. The oil is used at the very end after cooking while cooling off for flavor only, there is no need to use oil for frying at all. Pre-fry the eggs and meat, then add vegetables, then the rice in that order.

Thanks. Gonna make this.

left overrice absorbs the flavor of the other shit better because it is less moist (osmosis) and you it'll char on the hot pan.

>>Add sesame oil.
>In the cooking process or what?
Never add sesame oil to anything too hot to eat immediately. The aromatic compounds in sesame oil are delicate.

>authentic fried rice
authentic to what, nigger? Fried rice isn't really haute chinese cuisine, there's probably millions of chinks who make fried rice by putting shitty rice in a shitty wok and adding garbage oil and two eggs directly to the wok, because they can't afford another cooking dish.

Authentic doesn't mean better. It doesn't necessarily mean worse, either. Judge a recipe on its merits. Americanized chinese food is, in some regards and dishes, an improvement on "authentic"

ultimately it comes down to the diner's (most likely, you and whatever you call a family) taste.

I liked it. Just finished my leftovers now.

>Cook the rice only 75-80%
So boil it for 15 minutes instead of 20?

just used this thread as guidance
rice turned out great
thanks Veeky Forums

Which advice did you take from here to make good fried rice?? I'll copy it so I don't have to second guess all I'm reading

>obeying packet instructions at all cost >needing further clarification on "cook it 80%"
Enjoy your shitty rice

They're literally all the same recipe.

woks are one of the few pieces of cookware were the cheapest, most basic (carbon steel), are the best, that everyone uses. A shitty wok and a decent wok are the same thing.

frying doesnt do much but soak up oil into the rice unless you cook it very hot

honestly, thats the secret. get that rice a little

Use long grain rice like you get from Chinese take out
Regular rice doesn't take to frying all that well

Assuming you know what type of rice to cook with and how to cook it, fried rice is pretty easy.
Melt lard on high heat, add smashed/grinded garlic and green onion until fragrant. Dump rice in, fry until individual grains are separated and turning color. Add small amounts of soy sauce in (tablespoonfuls at a time for 2 cups of rice) if it still clumps after one minute. Salt and pepper and you're done.

You don't need day old rice or soy sauce if you cooked the rice correctly.

>Putting this much effort into fried rice
It's not that hard nigga. All you have to do is boil the shit then fry it. I make 10/10 fried rice every time.