Hey Veeky Forums, I'm in charge of Christmas dinner this year and so, like any obsessive autist...

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm in charge of Christmas dinner this year and so, like any obsessive autist, I am planning it months in advance. Everything but the appetizer is homemade, not prepackaged ready-to-eat junk. Is there a base I haven't covered yet? The only thing I'm blanking on is what kind of wine I should get for this, since I know nothing about wines and how they're supposed to compliment certain meals.

Appetizer
>Salami and brie on crackers

Roasted Vegetables
>Carrots and sweet potatoes/yams
>Bell peppers in Christmas colors and onions

Fruits
>Applebutter
>Cranberry sauce

Starches
>Biscuits/english muffins (for the applebutter)
>Garlic mashed potatoes

Meat
>Roasted brisket
>Gravy mixture from brisket drippings

Dessert
>Pumpkin pie OR chocolate peanut butter brownies (Hell, maybe both)
>Chocolate chip cookies

> brisket

This is why no one likes you people.

Lamb with mint jelly on Christmas you dumb fuck.

I like it, but not digging salami + brie... What about proscuitto? Or just salami with crackers and cornichons? Or salami and swiss?

Oh, also add olives to appetizer

We've had turkey 5 years in a row because people got lazy. Not even good turkey the last 2 years, just prepackaged shit. This is my first year cooking a major family meal and I want it to stand out with a very tender roasted brisket.

Oh god yes proscuitto, mmmm...
Would olives go with proscuitto and brie? Never tried that before.

If you want to offer a fruit dessert option for those aunts who never want pie, persimmons and pomegranate makes a beautiful plate.

Alright, fair enough.

We only have turkey here so I have no idea what roast brisket looks like.

The menu is great otherwise. I don't really know what your traditions are so I can't make any suggestions.

I'm thinking about doing braised veal shanks this year. Anyone have side dish suggestions?

My family will enjoy anything that's above typical white trash food (mac n cheese, coleslaw, jello, etc.) so anything you think is tasty I'm happy to consider. Hell even if I don't add it I'm always happy to have something new in my arsenal for next year. :)

Good call, will consider a fruit salad option. Hoping none of my cousins went vegetarian since last year though. That would suck....

Prep as much as you can the day before. Takes a lot of stress off.

Ok, lemme give it some thought as to what would fit and I'll post back tomorrow. Good thread. You're family are lucky to have you.

I have found that a salad of roasted brussel sprouts, chopped thick-cut bacon bits, and pecans make wonderful side dish for most red meats.

Homemade whipped cream for that pie
Salad or cruditee plate

Yep. Going to do the desserts and fruits the day before and let them chill in the fridge. We usually have Christmas at my aunt's house because she has 2 ovens. One will be assigned to brisket, and the other to veggies and biscuits. If we end up doing it someplace else with only one oven, then I may have to buy the biscuits.

Get a red wine since you're having red meat.

For dessert have something bubbly, whether it be champers or prosecco.

>it's christmas time soon-ish again

I think salami and brie on crackers is too salty and heavy to make a good appetizer. Get a canteloupe/honeydew, cube into bite size pieces, wrap them in a little prosciutto and secure it with a toothpick. Refrigerate till almost serving time. The sweet cool melon and the salty savory meat go well together.

God I'd kill to have a second oven available to me during the holidays.

>Homemade whipped cream

lost it

A fucling shitload of cava or prosecco. A few decent bottles of cybernet.

Jameson, Jack, beefeater, stoli, at least two types of good beer.