Is Khan Academy a good place to learn Math?

Is Khan Academy a good place to learn Math?

Other urls found in this thread:

projects.iq.harvard.edu/stat110/home
youtube.com/watch?v=BzzkGZlfVmg&list=PLBY4G2o7DhF0TSossUvJ-CTKSLfOhQgb6
youtube.com/watch?v=zt4-hHmOm7I&list=PLGCj8f6sgswntUil8yzohR_qazOfYZCg_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes.

Go on.

Yes?

high school math, sure.

as far as i can tell he hasn't really expanded beyond the same high school math lessons he's had for the past 6 years.

this.

khanacademy is really terrible. It's like watching a friend solve a problem for you and tell you "well I just taught you everything you need to know, good job me"

Well, good enough I guess.

I've always had problems with Math, I was left behind and frankly I didn't even feel it would be important (I was a stupid 15 years old shit and now I'm 25). Then I started coding and... well, fuck me.

I just wanna do this thing and it feels enormous and confusing. Khan Academy felt like the easiest way to have everything there for me to study but since I don't know this stuff too well I couldn't understand if it's a good place or not.

Udacity has the best Algebra course around but on the new version it's bugged. Coursera has a decent Calculus course.
Khan Academy for everything else but it's not as cool as the other.

Seems OK, though pretty limited. My daughter watches videos for elementary school math... like subtraction with borrowing. They explain it pretty well. You still need to sit down with the kid and explain it again as he or she works through some problems, but Khan is a nice initial lesson. It's good to have the kid re-watch after doing some problems, as more of the lecture will make sense and stick.

You should probably kill yourself.

What good are you for the society? You don't know math, you're probably unemployed, you're probably a fat fuck who thinks "Anyone can make it! :)!!" and you keep living on that shit hoping to become a milionare.

Really, kill yourself, you will never learn math and you will never live the life you're dreaming about.

You're a failure, do us a favour.

Also Khan Academy is shit.

kill yourself

Did I tickle something there? The truth is hard, right OP?

>new IP
>OP

It's excellent, although I prefer to use it as a supplement to go with various exercises from math books. Personally I think it really excels at breaking things down and putting complex ideas across simply, Sal's a really solid teacher.

You're trying too hard.

Khan Academy, patrickJMT, Paul's Math Notes Lamar, and MIT OCW serve the purpose of the lecture portion of a subject. You still need to get a standard college textbook and do at least EOO for homework, and download some old test from any school to make sure you can do the material. You can cover the first two years of math and physics with the resources above. If you like math there are now PDE, complex variables, and two probabilty courses online for your learning, as well as a decent into proofs course.

My friend did all the above and has been taking upper division math and EE courses at UC Irvine through Extension and has been doing well.

I bet 90% of what you wrote can also be applied to you, pathetic piece of shit.

It actually started expanding the curriculum again this year, not by much but I suppose we could at least have calculus 2 there by the end of the year

wtf r u talking about

It's a good way of tracking of your progress, but you'll probably need to supplement Khan Academy with other resources. It's great if you're autodidact (self taught) type. A Google-search-Khan-Academy combo will get through high school and some of college math (depending on the college program).

I'm pretty sure MIT OCW is the best for upper level maths.

Are there any other decent course work + lecture classes for upper level maths that are comparable to OCW?

mit ocw is great for lower level college math, and its best as a standalone desu. for higher clases, theres not much more than references and some notes

lol kill yourself

Harvard basic calc-based probability
projects.iq.harvard.edu/stat110/home

>I just want to see the world burn

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

Yes but it help to always supplement with other material. The Khan Academy math missions will determine what level you're at, where you need additional practice, and what your gap in knowledge are. It will keep throwing math problems, with hints and solutions if you get stuck, until you've mastered a particular skill. Right now there are around 1100 skills to master. There's a lock down timer on mastering skills to avoid cramming, so that what you learn is more efficiently encoded into your long-term memory. Though you can circumvent this timer by doing alot of practice questions.

The most important part of math is to burn the foundation into your head, so that you don't come back a year later struggling with high school concepts again. Khan Academy will help you identify the bad habits that keep resurfacing and iron them out over time.

All in all the math missions are pretty addictive. They're basically an early prototype for a math rpg experience.

Understanding and being able to apply math laws, analyzing proofs and using them to verify answers, and replacing algebraic terms with numbers helped me understand math beyond memorizing tricks to solving questions. I'd say alot of the problems people have in math stems from not being taught the 'why' instead of the 'how'. I would suggest textbooks, if they weren't all written like Wikipedia articles.

Complex Variables course - important for controls.
youtube.com/watch?v=BzzkGZlfVmg&list=PLBY4G2o7DhF0TSossUvJ-CTKSLfOhQgb6

PDE - important for thermo/fluids
youtube.com/watch?v=zt4-hHmOm7I&list=PLGCj8f6sgswntUil8yzohR_qazOfYZCg_

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

>if you want answers regarding race and IQ, go to Veeky Forums

We can also answer the monty hall problem.

what's that?

>There's a lock down timer on mastering skills to avoid cramming, so that what you learn is more efficiently encoded into your long-term memory. Though you can circumvent this timer by doing alot of practice questions.
Elaborate? I can't keep practicing a skill?

look at this faggot

I'm pretty sure I'm waayy too late to start a career path so it's not a problem.
>I'd say alot of the problems people have in math stems from not being taught the 'why' instead of the 'how'. I would suggest textbooks, if they weren't all written like Wikipedia articles.
heh, I remember one of my math teachers couldn't care less about explaining shit to me, I kept asking questions to the points I didn't get and he got all pissed at me
"You pick the damn book and you read it"
Kinda felt bad afterwards.

anyway

>The most important part of math is to burn the foundation into your head, so that you don't come back a year later struggling with high school concepts again. Khan Academy will help you identify the bad habits that keep resurfacing and iron them out over time.

You know, you're right. Also this is kinda looking easier and less scary that I though it would.
I have to make it a habit of practising everyday

>Elaborate? I can't keep practicing a skill?
You can practice how many times you want, it just doesn't tick the "Mastered" title on the skill and the system keeps delivering that particular skill until you've mastered it.

That is some strong projection you've got there bud. Treating Veeky Forums as a form of therapy isn't healthy m8.

You probably shouldn't use it as your only resource if you're majoring in math or physics or something math heavy, but it is still explained very simply and clearly, and can be a helpful reference.
My friends that had to take calculus for their biology, kinesiology, or other subjects lighter in math, found that Khan Academy was more than enough for them to do well in their courses.

No it's shit.

If you know arithmetic and basic algebra just buy the aops intro to problem solving vol 1 and 2 and solve all the shit in there. You'll have a more solid grasp on math than most people and can learn calculus easy and start doing some higher level competition problems.

End yourself

Don't mind the angry ones

I agree. It's not worth getting upset because the student crybabies don't have a /college/ chit chat forum on Veeky Forums.

but i can't find volume 2 online senpai

LOL