>mass revolution
>pepes sold on the black market
>people realise that they can burn pepes for energon
>pepes fought for by two political factions
>meme lovers and meme burners
>ww3
>annhailation
>tfw all I wanted was an anime catgirl waifu

you better hope we never run out of oil.

it isn't just drilled for energy. refined oil products support basically the entire economy.

there will be famine because no fertilizer, herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides to grow food. No plastics or adhesives to package the food and prevent spoilage.

We go back to mars

Ooooooops
Wasn't supposed to reveal our illuminati secrets
Ooooooops wasn't supposed to tell everyone about illuminati
I'm a dead man

youtube.com/watch?v=KqMj3E94BK0

Wow, that is the most informative movie on the subject of peak oil and the problem of our lifestyle I never thought of before.

Thanks for posting that me.

You're welcome me, I hope you learned a lot from it.

We synthesize our own using non-petroleum feedstocks.
Petroleum isn't the only way of producing these products; it's just the cheapest. There are plenty of alternatives, there's just no reason to pay for them right now with petroleum as cheap and available as it is.
>no fertilizer
This is a major potential problem, but not because of petroleum scarcity. Guano has already been depleted and phosphate rock is currently a crucial fertilizer feedstock with no viable substitute, and it's projected to be depleted within a century or two.

Not much.
Before they actually run out. The cost of obtaining fossil fuels would have become so expensive that getting energy from other sources has become cheaper.

Do you know that we currently use coal-fired power plants to obtain the necessary energy to make solar photovoltaic panels?

You guys need to be sure to have a reliable hydroelectric plant near the place you're living right now.

>alternatives

ah, good luck finding them all:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrochemical#Petrochemicals_products

Or just build a lot of wind farms in the 500 years we have before the coal runs out.

Tell you thanks from me!

But also don't be a smartass next time.

desperation forces countries to take up nuclear as an option

everything is saved and the anti nuclear cucks are blown the fuck off the planet

Actually, having watched it, by all means keep being a smartass

>tfw it's too late for Thorium
just end my life senpai

The consequences on the Earth's climate of burning all the available fossil fuels on would be horrifying.

Air travel/combat, large shipping vessels, rockets, etc. would have to be totally re-imagined or abandoned.

We can make cars run off electricity from renewable sources already, but it's gonna be a pain to figure out how to fly a super sonic f-35 or a 170,000 kg 787 without jet fuel.

For military uses, I could see the use of synthetic liquid fuels as feasible. Commercial air travel would be limited to those willing to pay large amounts though.

Oil will become uneconomically expensive long before it runs out.

Wat

Yes the puzzle we have before us, is to stop using fossils fuels before they run out. If we cannot get over our shortsightedness enough to do that, then it's not going to matter. We're not going to make it.

gg no re

>large shipping vessels

But we already have big boats powered with nuke energy.

It's quite straightforward though?

>retards who think it wouldn't be a gradual weaning off oil and replacement by other energy sources

end of da wurld

Prices will be so high that making a war to get oil from your neighbour countries will be cheaper than legally buying it.

Every international treaty will be ignored.

The only countries that can survive will be those that have both oil and the military power to defend it.

You can build them because you still have cheap energy; in the future your only option will be sailboats.

the solar panel industry booms

we panel up our homes and gather energy during the day.

then we wake up and shit post all night long.

There is essentially nothing in most of Nebraska and the it's one of the windiest states.

>implying people would not see this decline encroaching and build nuclear shipping vessels and ships before the fall.

>good luck finding them all
>all
Petroleum is just a mixture of random hydrocarbons. That's it. The fact that there are numerous different products derived from this same feedstock doesn't change that fact. And you can synthesize these same fucking hydrocarbons from just about any organic material using Fischer-Tropsch conversion (basically an accelerated version of the natural processes that turn biomass into petroleum), the ONLY reason it isn't done is because it's cheaper to just pump petroleum out of the ground than to gather up and process these other organic feedstocks ourselves.
>combat
>abandoned
Bwahhaha
>it's gonna be a pain to figure out how to fly a super sonic f-35 or a 170,000 kg 787 without jet fuel.
Again, you can synthesize fuel from all kinds of different feedstocks. Some, like coal gas or biomass are already energetic, others require the addition of energy to process (which you could provide from solar power if absolutely necessary). The Navy even had a proposal to synthesize jet fuel at sea from seawater and energy from the carrier's reactor, supposedly for as little as $3/gal: defensetech.org/2012/10/02/converting-sea-water-to-navy-jet-fuel/

We grow gems to propel ships slowly toward places their counter parts are available.

or both

There's no such thing as "Fossil" fuels you fucking retards.

It was made up by oil companies so they can keep prices high, they'll just keep finding more till it no longer benefits them.

We go out

we go back to fireing jews

>fossil fuels
When will this meme end?

Peak oil is bullshit conjured up by Shell oil "scientist" in the 50's and only designed to create artificial scarcity. Oil is not a fossil fuel, petroleum is a primordial mixture of deep-earth hydrocarbons and is only limited by the amount of hydrocarbon constituents in the inner regions of our planet.

Everybody hopes we'll go to space to mine asteroids.
But we're sitting on more nickel-iron than we could ever use.

We're likely to run out of helium before oil.
So space mining is likely to go after helium in the atmospheres of Saturn and Jupiter.

Once that's established, we'll just go to Venus for hydrocarbons.

Seriously though:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel
...we can even make plastic from algae.

Plus:
geology.com/articles/methane-hydrates/

No, even if we burn them all at once the global temps will rise less than 0.3°C for a couple of years, then everything will be back to "normal", which means the usual ups and downs dictated by the Sun. In general, our activities account for less than a fart in comparison to the energy coming from the Sun:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance#Earth

The main reason to avoid wasting fossil fuels is that we'll need them in case of another ice age.

>oil can't be produced in labs
>we can't design a society without oil
>let's ignore mandkind had to live without oil until 200 year ago
ITT : peak oil retards.

The shipping cost of mining and hauling helium far exceed the costs of just making it with fusion, at any scale.

Get back into your grave Thomas.

>No, even if we burn them all at once the global temps will rise less than 0.3°C for a couple of years,
You're only counting the effect of the heat, not the emissions?

>>let's ignore mandkind had to live without oil until 200 year ago
...instead we just mined coal, harvested peat bogs and burned down old growth forests.
Plus we've got over seven time the population we had back then.
See also: pic related.

>shipping cost of mining and hauling helium far exceed the costs of just making it with fusion, at any scale.
From Saturn? Probably.
It was a half-facetious idea. Semi-shitposting if you will.
But a brief Google turns up nothing about helium fusion except stars.
Tell me more about making hydrogen.

>Tell me more about making *HELIUM*.

...sorry, I'm a tad drunk

Not the other user but..

Put hydrogen in a special particle accelerator which can withstand around 200 million degrees and voila you have your own mini sun.

Dont ask me how getting it to 200 million degrees creates fusion but it should form your helium since were accelerating hydrogen and when it crashes into the other atom it makes your beloved helium.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel
>...we can even make plastic from algae.
That stuff works, but it doesn't seem likely that it will be able to replace fossil liquid fuels all together. Aviation, military use, construction, etc I can see being powered on biofuels. The land use, and thus cost, would be way to high for commuting to work though.

>In general, our activities account for less than a fart in comparison to the energy coming from the Sun:
Calling that "bullshit" would be putting it mildly.

>oil can't be produced in labs
Not cheaply.

>we can't design a society without oil
No-one is claiming this. For fucks sake, the argument is HOW we do that.

>let's ignore mandkind had to live without oil until 200 year ago
I'd rather not go with "Lets have a massive population die off, then regress back a few centuries" as plan-A, thanks.

Helium isn't actually all that rare on Earth.

>Put hydrogen in a special particle accelerator which can withstand around 200 million degrees and voila you have your own mini sun.
The goal is to put the sun in a box. The problem is the box.

Wait and see, for now work hard to be useful, also enjoy life and help others.

I could make helium in my garage.

Electrolysis to get hydrogen from water.

put the hydrogen in a fusor and turn it into helium

so we should start collecting shit in jars? damn robots had it figured out all along..

You have a fusion reactor in your garage?

Damn, here I was proud of my tool kit.

I highly doubt your garage fusor can do H1->He4.

Fuck off

>Abiogenic petroleum
In the 1950's, a few Russian scientists began questioning this traditional view and proposed instead that petroleum could form naturally deep inside the Earth.

We start cloning and burning living dinosaurs.

you can make gasoline out of thin air and energy. though you can't get more energy out than you put in. So it just becomes liquid battery.

an incredibly expensive, inefficent, and dangerous battery. which will only make sense for a limited number of applications. Everything else will have to be electrified.

>can make helium in my garage
Yep, you can. Now please do the math on how long it will take you to fill one balloon. And how much electricity it will take to run your fusor.

I'll wait.

>Helium isnt that rare
It doesnt have a purpuse so we dont use it but it is very rare

also

Who cares about the box if we cant even make the mini sun

That would be pretty cool if true.

Complex organic matter discovered throughout the Universe

gizmag.com/organic-stardust-discovered/20310/

>too late for thorium

U wot

round all the fags and mutants up into the factories and burn them for fuel, putting literally trillions of terawatts of crisp, clean energy onto the global power grid

Than we can start burning fat people for fuel. If you disagree, you're a moralfag who is holding back progress.

Solar is getting dirt cheap, so cheap that we could use solar power to make liquid fuels economically:

keith.seas.harvard.edu/blog/cheapsolarpower

U-2...235

Even if it was true, which it isn't because the origins of geological petroleum are well understood, the issue is production will eventually be unable to scale with demand. Once that relationship breaks, the world economy will crash in a civilization-smashing manner.

>fly into space to mine oil so that lazy assholes on earth don't have to use their fucking legs

What about Titan and its hydrocarbon lakes?

What about it?

Here you go:

National Geographic - World Without Oil
youtube.com/watch?v=S56y0AzwdVk

ITT: Y'all niggers forget that gas at the pump (in the U.S.) is already 10% alcohol.
We're ALREADY transitioning to a post-crude-oil world, and you didn't even notice.

This is one o the many things that needs to be done to replace fossil fuels:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_digestion

youtube.com/watch?v=rYntOAAQZZ4

google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=191qAKrYC6zKBPCqGSI2GLWcaH-c&hl=en_US

You can actually do this at home on any scale you need, depending on how much biomass you have to put into your digester(s). It can be anything; a gallon milk jug, 5gal bucket/carboy, 55gal drum, 5000gal septic tank, etc.

You get methane fuel and great fertilizer.

If we turned every acre of land in the US into growing corn for ethanol we would produce 1/2 of the energy requirements for the nation.

The ONLY viable solution to burning oil that we have is burning coal and we are not prepared for running everything on coal. The problem is the suburban way of life. As I already posted.

That fat little asian from OP's picture finds and rapes you

not sure if ur trolling, but ethanol requires oil to make, on both the level of growing the corn and refining corn into ethanol. it takes more energy to make ethanol than you get out of burning it.

Asteroids form planets, and accumulates into oil deposits during planet formation
Russians are finding Oil deposits below the Fossil layer.

Geology student here again. That's pretty well uneducated right there. Oil migrates. It doesn't stay in the location where it forms. Finding oil below the fossil layer says nothing

>it takes more energy to make ethanol than you get out of burning it.
[citation needed]

Fossil fuel has bin on the verge of running out for decades. All bullshit. It's artificial scarcity created by the oil companies to keep the prices high.

What is hemp?

It is actually pretty logical. You never get more energy out of anything you make than what you put into it.

The only times you can hope to stop this is something where you hijack existing bio processes that lower energy costs in production. One major thing is biomethane which uses microbes to produce the methane fuel. We get more out of that than what we put in only because of the microbes doing the major workload.

We still need to feed the microbes so that still requires biomass. Instead of growing things specifically for the biomass like in ethanol production, we use waste products. Things like human feces, animal manure, industrial food waste, farming biomass waste, etc.

You get back methane and fertilizer. So you can grow more crops with the fertilizer to start the cycle over again. That's something can can't be done with ethanol production unless you couple ethanol production biomass waste with the methanol/fertilizer production.

Ok... so how do I get plastic lawn furniture from dead Dinosaurs?

seems like this inevitably will lead to massive population declines via population control by governments or violent conflict but both lead either to exhaustion of resources and then destruction or exhaustion and then a reversion to traditional farming styles (i.e. everyone grows food for themselves or their local community networks).

You don't, they are not the ones that turned into oil. Oil comes from plants that were buried, not animal life.

>keith.seas.harvard.edu/blog/cheapsolarpower

But the inverters are not, the transmission lines are not, and the batteries are definitely not. Also, energy costs are much more worrying than money costs.
bravenewclimate.com/2014/08/22/catch-22-of-energy-storage/
Money costs do not match energy costs because solar is being constructed by energetically cheap fossil fuels.

Nuclear is totally viable.

It's a well known fact. Google it. Note: The numbers differ slightly. It might be marginally energetically positive to do so, but it's still a colossal waste of time.

>It is actually pretty logical. You never get more energy out of anything you make than what you put into it.
>implying photosynthesis doesn't real

>What are the laws of thermodynamics?
>What is the Sun (durr)?

Will you be triangulated, will they shut down the Art Bell show?

They won't "run out". What will happen is that we'll start to go to fossil fuels that are harder to extract, and that have require more energy to extract compared to the energy that we get from burning them. This decrease in net energy will mean that we'll have less surplus energy and human labor for other activities, and left unabated, this will continue until we're better off not even bothering with fossil fuels, and then no more modern fertilizers, and then 80% of the world's population starves. Again that starvation won't come all at once. It'll be a slow, gradual process, as "cheap" fossil fuels and fertilizer runs out.

>It's a well known fact. Google it.
doge.jpg
wow
such citation
many credibility
etc

lmgtfy.com/?q=ethanol corn eroi

>>What is the Sun (durr)?
In this case, a source of energy, which is converted to chemical energy via photosynthesis.
Did you even bother to read this retard's post:
>it takes more energy to make ethanol than you get out of burning it.
>You never get more energy out of anything you make than what you put into it.
Obviously, we can't get more energy out of ethanol than the total energy that went in, counting sunlight and all.
But, since we aren't paying for sunlight, you can't say that means ethanol is economically unfeasible, nor does "durr, first law of thermodynamics!" prove biofuels are nonviable.

The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil.

The rich will survive.
Supermodels will survive.
The rich will fuck supermodels in luxury, solar powered homes.

You will starve.

>lmgtfy.com/?q=ethanol corn eroi
Google says you might be right, you might be wrong.
No clear answer.
>netenergy.theoildrum.com/node/6760
>On one side are Pimentel (2003) and Patzek (2004) who claim that corn ethanol has an EROI below one energy unit returned per energy unit invested,
>and on the other side are a number of studies claiming that the EROI is positive, reported variously as between 1.08 and 1.45 (Wang et al. 1997; Wang 2001; Shapouri et al. 2002; Graboski 2004; Shapouri 2004; Oliveira et al. 2005; Farrell et al. 2006; Wang et al. 2007).
>Even with numerous publications on this issue, disagreement remains as to whether corn ethanol is a net energy yielder. - See more at: netenergy.theoildrum.com/node/6760#sthash.e4FUdHr0.dpuf
>none of the major studies of the EROI of corn ethanol account for statistical error within their analysis. - See more at: netenergy.theoildrum.com/node/6760#sthash.e4FUdHr0.dpuf

This shit's as bad as economics.
Lots of people (like you, user) WANT so badly to find a particular answer, you ignore all the results that don't support your position.

Indeed.

But for corn ethanol in particular, when you look at the inputs of human labor, electricity, fertilizer, and other energy inputs that come from human effort, and specifically ignoring energy inputs like the sun, and you look at the energy output, you find that it's actually comparable to humans just moving a pile of dirt from location A to location B, then back again, aka busy work.