Vegetarian

can we get a vegetarian thread going, talking about recipieces and why you dont eat meat ect im making the transition now and would love to share some recipiece

heres are a few facts why vegetarian diet is better

>eating red meat increases your chances of cancer by 3x
>reduced colestrol meaning healthy heart
>the enviroment, loss of top soil, loss of rainforest
>natural resources being depleted in facour of producing live stock for consumption
>a huge amount of antibiotics shoved down the livestocks throat 55% of antibiotics made are fed to live stock, the live stock is diseased.
>pesticides in the meat

Other urls found in this thread:

cancer.org/cancer/cancerbasics/lifetime-probability-of-developing-or-dying-from-cancer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm switching to a vegetarian diet effective immediately after having a worms scare after eating out. Any tips on eating vegetarian and still getting daily nutrient needs? Also cutting out empty carbs because fuck feeling tired.

1. Calcium is easy to find in a vegetarian diet. Many dark, green leafy vegetables and beans are loaded with calcium, and some orange juices and cereals are calcium-fortified. Iron is plentiful in whole grains, beans and fruits.

2. Vitamin B12: There is a misconception that without eating meat one cannot obtain sufficient vitamin B12, which is an essential nutrient. This is simply not true. The PCRM advises: "Although cases of B12 deficiency are very uncommon, it is important to make sure that one has a reliable source of the vitamin. Good sources include all common multiple vitamins
and a diet focused on beans, whole grains and vegetables contains adequate amounts of protein

Thanks, I've already made a Facebook post about becoming vegetarian and called my parents and told them. Any other tips you can give me?

well, make sure you buy a t-shirt aswell please, we need to get the word out, i cant take the confersation further unless you are 100% ready to commit

lmao

wher trytophan tho?

I eat meat but very reluctantly. After many, many years pondering it, I have come to the conclusion that the only meat that is ethically sound is meat that's hunted and shot straight to the head or heart. This is the only way one can be reasonably sure they have minimised any risk of harm.

However, as much as I try, I just can't go veggie. After a few weeks, I start to feel seriously sick, lethargic and weak. My anecdotal view is some can go without it, others can't. I've worked out my bare minimum is about 750gms a month so I eat that. That's red meat. I have to eat that specifically. Fish, etc doesn't cut it. Other than that, I eat smoked mussels or oysters occasionally and most of my protein is eggs, cottage cheese, milk.

Veggie Lasagna:

I don't have a recipe as such but do the sauce as you usually would but with tomatoes, eggplant, garlic, onions, and chopped up nuts. Don't put fucking grains in it. They're shit and fuck with the flavour. Layer up as usual with bechemal sauce etc. My veggie lasagna is often rated by friends to be the best they've tasted so it's bretty gud.

Not vegan but I've got a load of feta, anyone got any recipes with it?

born plant

Anyone interested in the SCIENCE behind why a plant based diet is one thing you can practice to help save the world, check this book out. all the ethical arguments we've heard but the facts in this book really changed my outlook on meat completely. The first half is all science--study after study after study and what they suggest in regards to the most common health problems (diabetes cancer heart disease etc). The other part of the book is a plant based diet cookbook and plannin guide for those with no creativity or clue how to stop eating meat.

Eggs dont appetize me. Im no longer addicted to the casomorphin in cheese; the smell of cheese pizza is nice but i dont find myself possesed to grab a slice. Im leaner, and have more energy.

sounds like you need more carbs senpai "ketosis" makes you feel nauseous and lethargic/anxious/depressed. Also theres the chance that your body was finally able to stsrt processing the back up of animal protein which has essentially just been rotting in your gut festering with all kinds of yummy bugz

>Save the planet
>Reduce the quality of my lifestyle so those in power can enjoy a clean planet

Nah, I'll see you all in hell or something

Hows the 'transition' coming along? Have you chopped off your oppressive meat parts and started taking 'iron' pills yet?

>recipiece

Iron is plentiful in whole grains, beans and fruits

No ones cares if I die, why would you want me to live longer?

OP is cruel.

>tfw just found out i'm a pescetarian

didn't even know that was a thing.

muh tuna and salmon

Does anyone have a vegetarian recipe for steak tartare? Maybe using beans or lentil?

Also, I just recently fell for the tofu meme. Ask me anything.

I tried to be vegan for 2 months but turned skeletor so it's not for me. Can anyone give be a reason why being a vegetarian (eggs and milk included) is any more ethical or healthy than being a moderate meat eater?

i got bit by a tick and it made me allergic to red meat

sucks ass

that's my only reason for not being a meat eater

i can eat fish and poultry, i think, but last time i did it made me sick

no man is an island, entire of itself; everyman is a peice of the continent, a part of the main. if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, aswell as if a promontory were, any man's death diminishes me, because i am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

for one red meat increases your colesteral and therefore chances of heart conditions/failure, is also increases chances of bowl and breast cancers by 3x

OK, so my chance of getting cancer went from .0001% to .0003%. So what?

aaaah we have a smart alec do we, or just an ignoramus?

Legit question. Please answer.

there is a 1 in 2 chance of getting some form of cancer and a 1 in 7 chance of getting prostate and a 1 in 93 chance of getting stomach why not reduce that chance ?

Source please. Those numbers sound completely out of whack with reality.

Also, wasn't the original claim colon cancer specifically? Now we're moving on to other types of cancer which have nothing to do with food risks?

gotta die from something
ill eat red meat and take the risk thanks

cancer.org/cancer/cancerbasics/lifetime-probability-of-developing-or-dying-from-cancer

i was mentioning other cancers aswell as a whole due to the sardonic way in which (you) or who ever is, stating his .0001% chance of getting cancer

Doing anything for "ethics" is a meme. Doing it for your own personal health is fine, but remember life is short, don't cuck yourself out of a good time.

>don't cuck yourself out of a good time.
>cuck
What?

Don't let some strapping, well-hung buck eat your steak for you while you watch. Duh.

Cuck is short for cuckold. In this context it would be Veeky Forums slang for the act denying yourself of pleasure or dignity. Is this you first day here or something?

Enjoy your nitrates.

Veg here. I don't eat meat or dairy because it constipates me. Eggs are dandy though. I eat eggy weggies just about every day.

My standby: stir-fry with either tofu or tempeh. I batter tofu and shallow fry it. Tempeh is pretty good on its own -- nutty flavor.

My favorite cookie: crunchy PB, oats, dark brown sugar and egg. That's it.

It's the season for soup, and my great grandma used to make poor man's soup with ground beef but it's pretty good without it: veg broth, escarole, rice or pastina, mixed veg but definitely tomato, and some kind of meaty bean (chickpea or kidney or something.) It's gotta be fatty, so throw some butter or oil in there. Mmm. I'm comfy just thinking about it.

I've been a pescatarian for a little over a year and I'm trying to transition back into vegetarianism now. To me it's pretty easy, my diet is mainly fresh fruits and vegetables to begin with. But I find myself craving massive amounts of peanut butter, its been suggested that its because of an iron deficiency that causes you to crave the nutrient. So I have magnesium, iron and B12 supplements I take every few days. I try to have a protein filled breakfast every morning to help me throughout the day, such as an over easy egg on top of white rice with salt, pepper and chili flakes. The rice absorbs the yolk and its heavenly.

be sure to suck dick for enough protein

Can you explain to me why fat from a cow's flesh is dangerous while fat from dairy aparantly is ok? To me it would seem that since animal fat has been *the* ubiquitous source of energy for humans throughout their natural history... if it causes death/aging/cancer... it's basically living that causes cancer.
I also don't buy the red meat bogeyman meme. Seems like the noise might come from correlation with the McDonald's diet. Doesn't make any sense to me why one animal's flesh would be fine (chicken) but another's not - barring recognised harmful toxins or preservation/treatment methods.

Me too. We have the diet of noble Samurai before the introduction of imperialist Westerners.

You mean before we kicked your ass in WWII? If I remember correctly, your leaders were eating their swords from the outside in.

enjoy your pestacide ridden foot

it is any type of meat i think red meat was just the main focus but there is a 3.6 times greater chance for men who consume meat, eggs, processed cheese and milk daily as compared with sparingly or not at all

food*

I am very intrigued by your breakfast.

I don't like the soggy looking rice, however, and all that whiteness does not appeal.

It does seem an awesome idea though so I'm going to try this but with a saffron rice, poached egg and then everything else you've done. I also think this is a fantastic breakfast to start the day.

Very nice. Thanks for the inspiration. Quality post.

best think is to just cut in in cubes and eat it as it is, good I love pure salty feta

But you can try to fill wine leaves with it or roll it in zucchini or eggplant slices and fry it with some olive oil. Best accompanied by white bread

>tfw half jap girlfriend
>tfw she only eats meat when I cook it because otherwise its bleh
>tfw for her fish somehow doesn't qualify as meat

to me that's a bunch of bs, but hey I won't complain

ever since I got here to Korea I've been eating way, way less meat. If I exclude bacon and eggs every now and then I eat meat like once a week, once every two weeks.. And that's coming from a person whose favorite dish is filet mignon.

living on vegetables and grains alone is not hard for me at all. I don't really miss meat, I am a very opportunistic eater.

I have found new ways to eat raw/barely cooked vegetables to get the absolute most nutritional value out of them, I think my diet is pretty close to being ideal at this point.

fight the methane jew, stop eating bullshit meat and only eat the good stuff! dark leafy green vegetables are delicious and everyone who says otherwise is an heretic and should be sacrificed.

>Can anyone give be a reason why being a vegetarian (eggs and milk included) is any more ethical

in order to keep lifestock, lots of trees are cut down, land is destroyed. they also have to eat, so you have to destroy additional land for that, too. by eating meat you are directly responsible for killing biodiversity.

l i t e r a l hundreds of species have already gone extinct due to this, this is not a hyperbole. there's other factors such as methane gas, the amount of water needed to feed lifestock, esp cattle.

of course you could talk about muh animal suffering, but that to is not even close to the most convincing argument.

antinatalism would also reduces human suffering, especially in countries like india, pakistan, bangladesh.. but do we consider it a good solution?

> muh animal suffering lol so edgy edge edges
> b-b-but mah trees!

You're a complete cunt. Want to know how I know you are?

just leave

not even the guy you were replying to either

>biodiversity
>only related to trees

are you fucking retarded or something? we're talking about hundreds of species of insects, mammals of all sizes, reptiles, amphibians, flowers, trees, weeds, herbs..

it's not just lifestock, excessive soy farming (thanks to vegan catering with "soy sausage" bullshit) causes the same fucking problems.

all I said is that animal suffering is not the most compelling argument in the equation.

I never buy factory farmed eggs, chicken, beef, pork, how about you?

why don't you try to make an actual argument instead of memeing like some sperg, you actual subhuman?

tl;dr

I didn't indicate at all that I was interested in the warbling bullshit of some aspie edge lord, fuckknuckle.

Just for you, however, I will deliberately fuck up my recycling for the next two weeks and Imma throw any litter I have out the window along countryside roads I go past for the next month.

Fuck you. Animal cruelty cunt.

this is the most embarrassing, cringeworthy post ive read in some time

and you call other people edgy? fucking lmao

>Just for you, however, I will deliberately fuck up my recycling for the next two weeks and Imma throw any litter I have out the window along countryside roads I go past for the next month.

You gotta love the hypocrisy.

> Must love trees!!
> Hurrr fuck animals let 'em suffer durrr

youre by far the most retarded person on Veeky Forums

I actually care about animal suffering, too, easily more than you do

I'll post pics of all that littering just for you, animal cruelty supporting cunt.

Enjoy posting absolutely nothing of any impact at all.

Gj, noble 'Eco warrior'. You sure made a big difference to the planet today.

Thanks so much user, I'm very happy I was able to inspire you. The rice may look soggy because I fried it with olive oil. I hope you like it though!

It's easy being vegan if you're not fucking retarded, and do the minimum amount of research. Honestly skinny vegans make me mad because they make all vegans look bad.

Did not mean to sage, my mistake.

>Animal cruelty cunt, he calls user
>isn't a vegan
what is going on

thinking of going vegetarian

however, i love chicken too much

help

At least half skinny vegans have eating disorder and going vegan was just next step in it. The other half is just stupid.

finally, we need a thread like this. After watching Fork Over Knives on Netflix I want to start eating more vegetarian too. Not fully giving up meat and dairy, but to avoid it as much as possible.

GO VEGAN

Suck it up desu

I've tried to give up meat, and I went to the store to buy collard greens and made some but I put bacon in it as the recipe called for.

I have so much more respect for vegans, I can't think of enough recipes that include no meat that will fill me for the whole week. In the end I just resort to eating some form of meat again.

I'm the person you're replying to.

1.Eating meat in my country (uk) is not responsible for killing diversity because the country was deforested hundreds of years ago. Now it's some of the richest pastureland in the world and ideal for keeping cows in relatively small fields. The fields aren't watered, just rained on. Furthermore this is necessary to produce milk so lacto vegetarians support this.

2. I eat meat rarely, maybe once or twice a week... have a few eggs a week, and use some butter every day. Occaisonal cheese. If the animal products I consume are perhaps less in quantity than a vegetarian's - how could they be more ethical? Is a 5'3" vegetarian of average weight more moral than a 6'1" vegetarian of average weight - because they need less food and therefore less animal products? Animals will suffer and be killed if you eat eggs and milk.

3. Regarding methane as a greenhouse gas - I don't drive a car so I'm pretty sure my carbon footprint is less than a car-driving vegetarian's.

4. I agree that more humans correspond to increased suffering and I don't plan to have kids.

On the small chance that you didn't want a shitposting thread, you should start with a recipe next time.

make falafel/veggie burgers
with actual veg
easiest thing I do

i miss grilled cheese

Go chickentarian, problem solved.

Only newfags from /pol/ call people new

Are vegans pro-choice or pro-life

Why does this make so much sense

Why don't use guys become pescatarians than and supplement your diet with mussels, clams, sardines, anchovies, etc which can be obtained super cheap in canned or fresh form and are "sustainable"? They even have more b vitamins and iron in a serving compared to livestock meat.

because i'm retarded

what about those vegan cheese? are they not good?

>see thread
>"Cool, some delicous vegetarian foods and recipes!"
>"muh iron!1" "muh b12!" "muh ethics!"

Exactly

exactly

I cooked some good stuff today. Quality chickpea curry with spiced bulgur mixed with some vegetables. It tasted surprisingly amazing.

I accidentally bought a shitload of chickpea and bulgur so now I gotta eat through it and I'm trying to find cool recipes over the interwebs. Tbh I've never used bulgur as a side dish before, I just kept grinding them down and made çiğ köfte because that's just fucking rad. No disappointments tho. Apparently it's kinda finer than rice, and spices well.

I can't wait to find soy granules at a grocery store some time, a while ago I whipped up some extreme risotto. Additional chilli soy sauce is the key.

FML I love eating