What is the difference between a soup and a stew??

what is the difference between a soup and a stew??

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/236603/chef-johns-irish-stew/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is the difference between a salad bowl and a fruit bowl??

Only one of them has tomatoes.

mind.blown

Stews tend to be chunkier and with a thicker broth, sometimes gravy

is it possible to make a pea and ham stew? and if so, at what point does a soup become a stew (and vice versa)?

Stews are chunkier, less liquid. Soups are predominantly liquid based or specifically puréed.

Yes, you can make pea and ham stew. You would need a different cooking method as you would for any stew.

>at what point does a soup become a stew (and vice versa)?

At some completely arbitrary comparison of thickness/chunkiness that varies from person to person

Usually the size of the chunks and perhaps the amount/type of meat. Also how thick it is.

>when i grow up i want to be a stew
said the soup

A stew is stewed.
The clue is in the name, fuckwit.

Google says that 'stewing' is a type of cooking process. But what would he know?

Are you saying that a soup is souped?

>fuckwit

The problem is that many soups are cooked by that exact same method.

I'd guess that it might have something to do with the lid.
Stew = lid on
Soup = lid off

I'm admit that I'm just guessing, tho.

Lol, that's silly.

>souped
That is not a verb, mongchild.

ok but i tried.

i've never made either but i'm kinda curious now.

>Soup
>a liquid dish, typically savory and made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables etc. in stock or water.
>Stew
>a dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan.
You Americans are fucking retards.
Fuck knows what you are doing on Veeky Forums.

He's actually correct.
Stew is made in a lidded dish or pan.

we've been waiting for you all along!

So are many soups. Having the lid on or off doesn't change the nature or type of the cooking method.

I would suggest if you can't tell the difference between soup and stew you're probably not ready for the internet, user.

b-but tomato is a fruit

Stews are just thicker. You could separate the broth from the rest of the soup and use it elsewhere, unlike a stew which becomes one inseparable mush.

Soups usually have a clear broth, while stews consist of an opaque sauce.

You usually want the components of a soup to be firm to the bite, while the components of a stew are more tender or even mostly disintegrated into the sauce.

What about thick soups like bisques?

You're an idiot.

You don't know nothing

>idiot
Says the guy who thinks soup is a verb.

Soups and Stews are a bit of a sliding scale. You can give a soup are more stew like consistence by adding thickeners.

Bisques get their thickness from pureed components unlike stews which get their thickness from slow cooking. So it's basically a bastard child of soups and stews.

Other examples are chowders which get their thickness from flour addition to the broth. And cream soups which get thickness by addition of white sauce (e.g. milk, flour and butter). Also gumbos which get their thickness through addition of filé powder.

> soups have clear broth
Wat?

A stew involves large chunks of meat and or vegetable that have been stewed together for a long time. You can just throw stuff into a soup broth at the end whereas stew ingredients are cooked as part of it

you're beyond retarded and can't even do basic maths. nor can you monitor unique poster stats.

the user you're respoding to there was the 11th to enter the thread and that was their first post.

kys

This would have had a clear broth before it was pureed

a stew would be a soup before it was stewed

> soups usually have a clear broth

Is English your second language?

Yes, but then it became a stew.

The point is a stew becomes thick through slow cooking while soups are clear unless you make them thick by other means like addition of thickeners or pureed components.

>USUALLY have a clear broth
You shouldn't remove that part from your quote.

*responding

from now on i'm going to make debilerate spelling and gramaticle mitsakes just to piss you of

I'm not remotely interested in cooking and I know the answer.
>In theory, a soup is a combination of vegetables, meat or fish cooked in liquid. A stew is any dish that's prepared by stewing - that is, the food is barely covered with liquid and simmered for a long time in a covered pot.
>barely covered with liquid
Veeky Forums you are the biggest fucking retards on all of 4Chinks.

You can also add a lot of liquid and reduce it.

But that's the point, retard. They don't 'usually' have a clear broth. Hence why I specifically included a photograph of one of the most commonly consumed commercially available soup flavours that most would be familiar with. Certainly many soups are broth-based but your statement indicates that _most_ are.

Your assertion then that 'soups usually have a clear broth' is therefore proven to be a pile of shit.

Okay you won, whatever

>Soups usually have clear broth unless they are thickened or pureed

Happy now?

Yes. Thank you.

>soups are clear unless they're not clear

Okay soups are never clear

>>Soups usually have clear broth unless they don't

senpai

can you repeat the question?

If a planet made of soup and a planet made of stew collide, will the resulting black hole be a stew or a soup?

A clear broth will ensue from the maelstrom.

same thing

Stews are a type of braise. Meat or what have you is seared and then slowly cooked in liquid.

There are other characteristic differences but they don't always hold; for example, stews are generally thicker than a lot of soups, but some (bisques and pureed soups, notably) are thicker than most stews are. They also tend to be chunkier than most soups, but you could absolutely make a super chunky soup. The one clear delineating point between them is that a stew is a braise and a soup isn't.

they're spelled differently

stewpid

>Americans are fucking retards.

>make better stews than fucking britbongs any day.

fucking l.o.l. my dude.

ok but is pot au feu a soup or a stew?

the difference between soup and stew isn't in the lid you fucktard. stew isn't always made in a closed vessel.

taxonomy threads are always fucking packed with the most amazing stupidity

Try me fagit

Protip: your a bitch

I would say chunky potatoes makes a soup a stew, but that's only because I can't think of many soups with potatoes that aren't in whole chunks.

But what about Chowders?

Cereal is a cold soup.

a stew's broth should, at the very least, be thick enough to nappe (coat the back of a spoon)

this
also stews generally contain potatoes, where soup doesn't and will have rice or pasta for a starch instead

potato soup

I said generally, didn't say it was an absolute rule, the other main exception is clam chowder

I don't think thats it, plenty of soups do that, and sometimes stews do not

Stew is generally thicker. It has like gravy for liquid.

It also has bigger cuts of meat and vegetables in it.

your broth wrong.

>your

b-but i was only pretending to be retarded

you failed my test.

the only word deserving of attention there was 'broth', but I threw in a distraction that you fell for.

your are retarded and you're is not even pretending. how is this make you're feel?

This gets it.

Stews are for leftovers but soups are purpose-made. ;_;

You want stew, do this..

allrecipes.com/recipe/236603/chef-johns-irish-stew/