What is the most delicious Japanese dish of all, and why is it these little morsels of heaven?

What is the most delicious Japanese dish of all, and why is it these little morsels of heaven?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HBAcLgaHfVY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because you really just want to drink cooking oil

Gyoza are Chinese. Japanese people would even tell you they're Chinese.

> Gyoza are Chinese

>Gyoza are Chinese.

No you retard, gyoza is from Chicago.

this

ramen is better

t b h

even general tso's chicken is better than those slant eyed raviolis

japanese people are from china

Not a dish, but Kaiseki and Shojin ryori are GOAT

And Sina belongs to the Nippon Empire

Most japanese food is pretty mediocre imho.

But their dessert game is fucking incredible.

Daifuku for instance.

That's not any 'yoza, that's a 'cago deep dish 'yoza.

inari is tasty

You will go to heaven.

Chubbe fishe

And the Nippon Empire belongs to Uncle Sam.

And Uncle Sam has to listen to what the Queen says.

this
so under-rated

I find their desserts way too weak compared to western deserts, but that's most likely because a lot of is traditional stuff so it obviously doesn't stuff like processed sugars, etc.

That's objectively wrong and reverse. You should commit suicide.

And the British Empire, as Anglo-Saxon (Germanic people), belongs to the Fourth Reich.

And the fourth Reich belongs to the Jews.

The Jews belong in the oven.

commit sudoku*

fucking idiot

Japanese food is really bland and simplistic.

A bold shitpost

The oven belongs to me!

As was your birth

Pretty rude but not entirely unfounded

Because they're Chinese. I love the place, but honestly Japan sucks at cooking, they're like the dnd nerds of food - years of learning, meticulous methods, completely tedious and dull to anyone other than the person doing it.

I've Never Been To Japan, the post

Gyouza are fucking lush mate. I think my record was 30 at once.

Used to have a hot plate and every now and then I`d make my own, fucking well good times.

Moving to Osaka next year and gonna chow down in some all you can eat gyouza joints fuck yeah

> I`d make my own

Recipe plox. I have no hot plate so it'll have to be frying pan.

>Japanese food is really bland and simplistic.

In a sense. Compared to Chinese food, which varies wildly by the region and it feels like country has eight independent cuisines, Japanese food lacks any punch. It also IS simplistic, but much of it lies in how it's executed. Noodles too thick and your ramen is ruined, for example.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I make them often. They're really easy.

Meat here is ground pork.

Grate ginger to get some juice

Put in the food processor, add a little sesame oil and a dash of salt.

Let the food pro do its thing

Of course you could use other meats if you like.

Store-bought gyoza wrappers on the right. Pick one up, moisten the outside edge with a fingertip dipped in water. Add a little filling then fold 'em up.

Monitoring.

You are a fucking legend, mate. Thank you.

In progress. there are many ways to fold them closed, I find this one to be the easiest.

>You are a fucking legend

No, those photos are from my first time ever making them. It's dirt fucking simple: google recipe, follow directions. Legend? No.

Anyway, like I said I deep fried these and here they are. You could also steam them, pan-fry, whatever you like.

No, you ARE a fucking legend because I've been looking for a straightforward recipe for years. I can't arsed with all the faffing around.

Also:
> deep fried

Legend status confirmed. I didn't realise you could do this and I also didn't realise that Tescos (of all places) actually stocks gyoza skins. My life is complete.

Thank you again very much.

I'd mix it in a bowl, not much work and easier to clean up.

Sure, you could do that if you want. Though the cleanup is about the same: if you use the bowl then you'd have to use another tool like a knife to chop up the meat and the onions really really really fine beforehand. I've seen it done that way on the old Iron Chef show: they chop first, then use the back (dull) side of two cleavers to pound it further to get the right texture.

I use the food processor because it takes less than 30 seconds and the cleanup is just put the blade & bowl in the dishwasher. when you're done.

Gay

To me the main definitive difference between gyouza and the original Chinese dish has always been that the Chinese don't do the fry -> steam -> fry thing that the Japanese do.

thats not ramen..

no u

what is it then?

I like keichan.

Not sure if it's what you mean but when we fry them my (Chinese) mother calls it something else like "wah dip".

>Frying raw dough then steaming it then frying it again
That is the case if you've never made dumplings before.
There are no differences, dumplings are dumplings. Japanese version is identical to the Chinese one.
that's 锅贴, which literally means potsticker

Nah I mean the dumplings after they're put together, not making the wrappers from dough. The Japs fry them in a pan, then add water and put the lid on, and then take it off and fry them again.

>tfw I'll never visit Kyoto and gorge myself on all the delicious food and desserts

where's my noose

Thanks user, are you a genuine moonman?

I've done a lot of Japanese cooking and traveling in Japan and I've never heard of that method.

I see them either deep-fried, or put in a pan with water & a lid on, steamed to cook through, then the lid removed & the heat increased to boil off the water and fry the bottom.

youtube.com/watch?v=HBAcLgaHfVY

not Japanese , but xiao long bao is the most god tier dumpling I have ever had. Thin steamed perfect wrap, with a fatty pork soup/meat mixture on the inside. Tried making them myself once , my soup and filling tasted spot on, but I cannot for the life of me wrap the god damn dumplings . Curse these sausage hands

That seems unnecessary, I'm pretty sure you could steam it and then fry it and it'll have the same effect
No I'm Chinese, I do make dumplings from scratch though, including the dough

Best with some Tsukemen.

>the best Japanese food is literally Chinese
that about sums it up

but in my desupinion, the best Japanese food is literally Korean bbq

You say that like it's s bad thing

oden, kitsune udon, zarusoba, yokkaichi tonteki, misokatsu, basashi, syabu syabu, unajuu, nikujaga

>oden
better than Chinese hot pot, but that's not saying much. sucks if you live anywhere warm
>kitsune udon
instant ramen-tier
>zarusoba
toast sandwich for Asians
>yokai watch
why anyone would want a fast-cooked thick cut of pork is beyond me
>misokatsu
not bad, but very greasy
>basashi
noooope
>shabu shabu
one of my favorite hot pots, but hot pots aren't that good
>unajuu
good, but basically another generic "toss a protein in sugar and soy sauce for a bit" dish. you can do more creative things with eel, but that's not in it for Japanese food
>nikujaga
pot roast except even lazier

I was just listing things I like. I'm not very fussy but I think even pleb-tier dishes can be very good if done right.
Do you think there is any really good Japanese food?

like anything that makes you say "wow, this shit is great and I can't get enough of it"? the only things that come to mind are yakiniku--which even many Japanese would consider a Korean dish--and steak made with domestic beef. Beyond that, nothing in the 3 years I spent in Japan really wowed me. The benefit of Japanese cuisine is freshness, not culinary prowess, and any cuisine can be made fresh so long as you or your chef knows what you're doing.

Where Japanese cuisine really excels is probably in the alcohol business. Japanese rice wines, sojus, beers, whiskeys, fruit and nut liqueurs are all made with respect and precision, generally tasting of fresh flavors rather than shitty fillers. They also have an excellent price point.

>hot pots aren't that good
Can't think of a better way to spend a cold winter evening than eating hotpot with friends.

>whiskeys
Japanese whisky is rather good isn't it? I'd been drinking it for a while before it got much attention; I finished my last bottle of Yamazaki 12 a week before they announced underproduction and the prices skyrocketed. Now I'm lucky if I can get a shot for $30 (though the no-statement stuff is still cheap).

But Japs don't really care about whisky, sadly.

>japanese whiskey
I'd give you a fedora picture but then again I remember this is Veeky Forums and I really don't want to shitpost

You reminded me of the autist that made a thread hating hot pot and didn't see the value of it because he didn't have any friends to do it with.

Inari
Udon
Manju

All made by my おとうさん or おばさん

Going to Hong Kong soon and I'm diagnosed with Non-celiak gluten sensitivity. Can I get good dimsum/dumplings made out of rice "noodles" and things like that? Anyone been there?

dumplings are chinese, fuck you

>deep-fried gyouza

Ya blew it, fucking faggot

I've been to Hong Kong but I don't know about the special dimsum. I wandered into some restaurant and they were pushing around carts with baskets on top, and after some rudimentary gestures they figured out "bring whatever is in those baskets and we will give you money".

So like six chicks were all around our table presenting us with various baskets. Shit was cash.

that's the thing, hot pot is only good when you're with friends and when it's cold. even then, there's so much else you could eat, like bbq or dak-galbi. it's a bit of a novelty food with limited enjoyment options.

oddly enough, the hot pot here is served in solo bowls, and frequently eaten in the summer (8 months of the year), so I almost never want to eat it when anyone else does. it also sucks here, I would take Japanese or Korean hot pot in preference.

Japanese love whiskey, what are you talking about. Whiskey has to be the third or fourth most popular beverage in the country, far ahead of every other foreign liquor. it can be found in every bar, every izakaya, in karaokes, regular restaurants, on all-you-can-drink basic packages, and so forth. Major liquor retailers usually have an entire aisle dedicated to whiskey, sometimes two aisles for the split between Japanese and foreign whiskey.

Yamazaki and Hakushu aren't too expensive if you go to a Japanese liquor retailer, but if you haven't that convenience I'm not sure what to tell you. a good bottle of whiskey should set you back 20 to 40 dollars for one fifth.

yes, they have rice-paper rolls at many dim-sum places
they also have spring rolls made with tofu-skin wrappers

>I'm diagnosed with Non-celiak gluten sensitivit

You never been to a yum cha restaurant where you live?

Chinese go. This is Nippon only thread.

where I live they put a checklist at each table and you pass it off to a waiter

it's less adventurous than having baskets to point at, but at least you can guarantee what you want when you want to eat it, and if you already have enough experience in dim sum you can save time by grabbing exactly what you came for

>nippon thread
>OP is 鍋貼
sure thing Yamada Taro

The big places here will do carts on the weekend brunch rush and weekdays a la carte style. It's just not as fun without the carts coming around and waiting to pounce on the shit you want and politely rejecting the chicken foots lady. Also having a big place packed with jabbering slants is a nice environment.

yum cha is so comfy though damn i want some and it's midnight wish i had people to go with tomorrow morning

I've never been to a place that's been any less than maybe 80% capacity. There's a TimHoWan here too, and they still do checklist orders.

I'm crazy about any kind of small plate food desu.

One thing I do miss about Japan is the 300 yen izakayas. Anything you want to eat or drink for 3 bucks a plate/cup.

What's the difference between Japanese and Chinese hotpot?

I hope you realise 'here' doesn't mean the entirity of China. I had hotpot in Guangzhao and it was not lonely autism style at all.

Suntory time. For relaxing times.

so far I've only ever had two (three) kinds of hot pot

one kind seems to be a flavorless broth, single-serving pot, and you're supposed to take the stuff out and dip it in soy sauce or something. it's kind of like shabu-shabu but hopelessly devoid of flavor.

the other one I've had is the famous split-dish communal kind, where one is supposed to be Sichuan pepper-flavored (mala) and the other is sesame-flavored (zhima) but neither seemed to have very much flavor, spice, or anything.

These types seem to dominate around my island.

In Japan, you have quite a number of hot pots. Some of the most popular ones are tsuyu-based, including oden (slowly steeped starchy foods like daikon, potato, and fish cakes, usually boiled for around 45 minutes to an hour), miso (tastes like miso ramen), curry, or shabu-shabu. The Japanese ones seem to be more flavorful. It also helps that when Japan gets cold, it gets really cold, and hot pot mixes are really cheap (less than a dollar for a huge bag).

I live in Taiwan

oh ok sorry

You probably got jew'd by the Taiwanese then because there's no way seaweed broth is more flavorful than an authentic mala broth

Did you do those hot pots in a restaurant or at home?

I've eaten Taiwanese hot pot only in restaurants. I've eaten Japanese hot pot both at home and in restaurants.

Looks like udon? Remember the name comes from the noodles. Soumen, ramen, udon, etc. The prefixes determine the other stuff, like miso pork ramen, etc.

could be udon, could be ramen. There are a HUGE number of regional styles of both ramen and udon with different broths and "toppings" used in different areas.

The noodles look too wide to be ramen.

普通の家系ラーメンやな

Again, the width of noodles vary from place to place. Some places use thin noodles, some places use thicker ones. Sometimes they're flat in cross-section, sometimes they're square. Sometimes they're round. Sometimes they're straight, sometimes they're crinkled.