Is the movie scienceproof?

Is the movie scienceproof?
To watch or not to watch?

I'd skip the movie and read the book instead

>I'd skip the movie and read the book instead
I've done both.
Book's better.
Mostly because the subject makes a better book than movie.

>scienceproof?
The atmosphere on Mars is too thin for the wind to be a problem it becomes several times in the story.
Otherwise seems legit.

He is scienceing the shit out of it.

He brings oxygen from earth, it checks out

He had a RTG but didn't wire it into the rover's charging circuit. Instead he hauls around a bunch of solar panels and spends most of the day charging.

Martian dirt is toxic to earth plant life. A little human poo isn't going to undo that.

the idea that they are going to spend billions to send people to Mars every few years, and only have them stay for a month. even if you are using a cycler to get between planets. You would want to stay for months/years

He seals off a room from the Martian atmosphere using a fucking tarp and sticky tape in order to walk around inside with no helmet. In reality, the pressure difference is pretty much 1 atm. Yeah, no.

All things are possible if you believe in the power of Duct Tape.

>He seals off a room from the Martian atmosphere using a fucking tarp and sticky tape in order to walk around inside with no helmet.
I'd forgotten about this, but it definitely goes along with:
>The atmosphere on Mars is too thin for the wind to be a problem

They also made no effort to point out the gravity difference.

Its shit.
Comedy gold.
Part of PR that target tax money. Just a part of the scam.

>He had a RTG but didn't wire it into the rover's charging circuit

If you read the book, you'd know that he did, but it only provided 100w, so it only extended the time between recharges by a little.

The movie also never gives you the sense of how friggin' COLD Mars is. In fact the movie lighting nearly makes it look warm and sunny.

>Is the movie scienceproof?
Is it a documentary?
Then who cares if it's scienceproof, just watch it, it's decent

well its a red planet, it should be hot

But 1atm is fuck all and can easily be sealed by duct tape.
Or was that your point ?

Toxic how ?
You certainly can't talk about perchlorate which is trivial to clean on a small scale, even without doing anything it's on the level of living in Chernobyl in harmless-level, is there something else ?

It wasn't just a small rip that was sealed, but an entire doorway.

Ah, ok.

Do you know how russian space suits are closed?

It's for discussion

Both the book and the movie are good, why not?

the movie is quite literally plebbit: the experience

the nigger wrote "SCIENCE!" on the chalkboard next to his equations

the whole thing was cringe

P O O
O
T
A
T
O

for you

Fair enough.

If you can bear the cringe of him 'sciencing the shit out of stuff' and being an engineer then it's ok.

Pretty much this. There are few scenes that were painful to watch, the movie as a whole is surprisingly entertaining, though. Unless you're highly sensitive about the 'scienceproofness' of the movie, which obviously has large gaps.

It's a movie for crying out loud.

Lol its a poo that is a potato XD

>it definitely goes along with:
Not really. The airlock blew up apparently due to a mechanical mishap, it had nothing to do with the wind.
>But 1atm is fuck all and can easily be sealed by duct tape.
No. Maybe the helmet, but DEFINITELY not the fucking airlock. A single layer of plastic tarp, even with a dozen strips of duct tape across it, wouldn't be anywhere near strong enough to hold back a six-foot hole's worth of atmospheric pressure.
>28 sq. ft. @ 2000 lbf/sq. ft. = 56,000 lbf of pressure
>Heavy-duty duct tape ruptures at 40 lbf, tops
It'd take 700 strips of tape, going across one end to the other, to patch that hole - with ZERO margin of safety.

I was impressed how much of an effort they went to for the sake of accuracy (for a hollywood movie, anyhow), but that scene was laughable.

>everything I don't like is plebbit