What do you consider as the god tier to shit tier list, regarding difficulty, in mathematical subjects?

What do you consider as the god tier to shit tier list, regarding difficulty, in mathematical subjects?

>God Tier: Topology
>Shit Tier: everything else

Depends on what you mean.

When it comes to learn the basics of a subject, visual theories are more simply than abstract ones.

If you compete with good people on the cutting edge of research, it's always going to be more hard.

everything you do in school is toy examples = easy when you understand it

everything you do in real world (actually using the math to discover new structure/rules or apply it to modelling something useful) = hard

God tier: Category theory, formal language theory

I'm talking solely about the difficulty of understanding the subjects, as opposed to applying these subjects.

Random Example, maybe you believe that the order of difficulty is:
Topology > Analysis > Linear Algebra > Calculus

>God tier
All good mathematics. Natural intelligent questions that cry out for powerful theory's that connect different branches of mathematics

i.e. Number theory (Langlands program)/ Geometric Langlands and String Theory/ homological mirror symmetry is an example. Requires depth of thought, the erudition to connect different branches of mathematics, and the full on autistic mental prowess to plow through technical arguments when needed.

>OK tier
Whatever boring shit your typical non-exceptional grad student works on and typical professors work on, i.e. classify the invariant subspaces of such and such Banach space up to Nigger-Fuck equivalence under the action of my dick. Not bad but not deep or amazing. Good enough to keep mathematicians off the streets.

>diarrhea tier
Artificial retarded garbage, including 98% of logic and foundations ("look at me, I'm doing such deep mathematics by investing the consequences of our shitty formal language that will be obsolete next century anyways")

additive number theory: "prime numbers generate the multiplicative structure of the integers, but I know! Let's see what happens when we fuckin' ADD them together hurrr..." This includes Goldbach's conjecture. Literally who gives a fuck.

Overly abstract category theory retards: "let's generalize the notion of a quotient object, now called a quasi-projective indecomposable semi-coherent deformation Z*-K/L fractionalizable algebra and pretend we're making connections to real mathematics. I have no creativity, so I"m just going to pick out proterties of random mathematical objects and generalize them in categories that no one gives a fuck about, so I can look like I'm publishing stuff but really nobody gives a fuck"

>i.e. classify the invariant subspaces of such and such Banach space up to Nigger-Fuck equivalence under the action of my dick.

fucking functional analysts man
>find/create some asspull function space
>prove some stamp-collecting results about it
>collect your PhD

This.

Shit tier pleb detected. Just switch to applied math already, retard.

>Butthurt that his life's work was just classified as diarrhea

What are your other tiers, fello user?

Let's throw in subjects in physics, too!

Where do you all think stats fits?

Shit tier.

Schoastic Theory, mid tier.

The belief that set theory will become obsolete as a foundation is a meme.

I defy everyone in this thread to perform 947825/95.2 by hand using traditional long division with no more than 10 seconds of hesitation.

And the thread went straight to page 8.

That's half of OP's question answered, I guess.

nailed it fampai

everything is subservient to Number Theory

Is the decimal place supposed to make it harder? Because it doesn't.

I think his point was that nobody over ten remembers how to do long division.

If I think about it for five seconds I remember the concept of subtracting n * numerator from denominator repeatedly with the largest possible n. I don't consider that ten seconds of hesitation.

Derp, swap numerator and denominator. Doesn't make the concept any harder.

numerical analysis - the one class that requires math majors to actually produce a working product and demonstrate actual job skills.

God Tier: Complex analysis/topology
shit tier: Uhm, abstract algebra or Logic?

shit I take back abstract algebra, let it just be Logic as shit tier.

Serious question: Are there any of you here who find high level mathematics like topology, number theory, chaos theory, etc. easy?

Where would Diophantine equations/ inequalities fall in this?

If one gets to the level of modern research in any mathematical discipline, it is hard. The only topics that can truly be said to be comprehensively easy to some people are those that are "solved", such as calculus or euclidean geometry.

god tier

stick to your autismal pure math, redditor

Indeed.

that is why I chose that.

this. basically every subject you take a course on in undergraduate has open problems

>Artificial retarded garbage, including 98% of logic and foundations ("look at me, I'm doing such deep mathematics by investing the consequences of our shitty formal language that will be obsolete next century anyways")

I thought my master courses were a lot easier than the basic calculus stuff

God tier: Type theory
Shit tier: Number theory

Seconded.