What are some good no-bullshit meditation regimens?

What are some good no-bullshit meditation regimens?

Other urls found in this thread:

accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.118.than.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Experiencing tranquility.

Meditation isn't necessarily good, in my experience at least; it can potentiated latent psychological. In my case: depersonalization, depression, suicidal thoughts and extreme anxiety.

That being said it can be beneficial. Just focus on your breathing and try not to think in words for 10-30 when ever you find time in the day. You'll know you're meditating when you realize you are experiencing strange phenomena and and occasional vivid visions, but when you realize that you'll break meditation. You just have to keep going at it and you'll know when you've got it.

after glancing over what I just posted, I think it may have made me retarded as well.

Wow meditation is some dangerous shit

Sorry bud you have schizophrenia. It'll get worse as you get older, especially since you're already so far gone that you won't get it treated. See you at the hospital!

Good information. I don't know where the hate's coming from really.

Go to any medical doctor and tell him that you have visions when you meditate and "experience strange phenomena". You'll be on pills or chemo by the end of the day, for good reason.

I was actually questioning my sanity for some time, but I stopped meditating and just like that everything went back to normal. I did convince my self I was going schizophrenic for a few weeks despite the absence of the hallmark symptoms, psychosis and hallucinations. I attribute this to my hypochondria, as I am constantly weary about my physical and mental well being. What reassured me is according to the internet--not the most reliable source, I know--schizophrenic people don't typically question their sanity and at the time I was constantly reality checking.

Those words can have different shades of meaning. To someone who has experience with meditation, "visions and strange phenomena" aren't that far fetched or weird. It's what the mind does is all.

It's just like a day dream dude, not like I was transported to another realm and am now convinced I am the living incarnation of the alien god, Zanthu. As for the strange phenomena, it varies. Nothing too weird though.

dark night of the soul
kundalini awakening is no joke
so how does that account for meditations specifically designed to bring about visions/strange physical phenomena?
you'd have to go to a doctor well-versed in meditation to get any good answers.

damn op I wish I could remember the book I started with.
but basically- breath to void to projections.

found it.
I started with Wake Up to Your Life by Ken McLeod
It's just a series of meditations to study and practice, as well as interpretations for why they're being done. That being said, it goes into the cosmology (if there is said to be one) of Buddhism, but explains why the metaphorical interpretations are as they are.

he's not kidding, they do anything to get that pharma cut

id buy that for a dollar

Fuck off with this Buddhist garbage.

Yes, go back to plebbit where the accept pseudoscience and shitty philosophy. Dumb fucking nigger.

>not even once

The 20 year old undergraduate has spoken.

I mean wigger. Only whiteys believe in that bullshit.

the funny thing is- buddhism is mostly a method you can test yourself. it is the most scientific analyzation of the mind we have

No it's not. Are you retarded? It's a religion you dip.

this

religion is a coping mechanism once you face your failure of your life, just like other contrived fantasizes, your faith in the scientific method included.

Religions are meant to leave material-bodily hedonism, travels, concerts, foods, sex and so on, for a spiritual hedonism, through prayers for theists and mediation for atheists.
Plenty of material hedonist love to think of themselves as less hedonistic than they are, since it improves their hedonism in thinking that they are not animals...most people who claim to be religious are not all, it is just the way they are.
In buddhism, you even leave this spiritual hedonism, after you have gained it, which is called jhanas, since you understand that this bliss from prayers, which is just a great, but not perfect concentration-stilness, are not personal nor permanent and that you are still prone to avidity and aversion.

Not OP, but isn't meditation proven to regenerate neurons? That's really all I'm interested in.

>being this edgy

Spirituality belongs on

Ok I'm gonna be nice and not call you names but please accept the fact that nothing can regenerate neurons in the sense you are thinking.

What meditation can do is regress the usage of certain neural pathways that you have formed over the course of your life.

Let's say you bite your nails for example. Through deliberate and persistent meditation you can teach your brain to use the pathway associated with nail biting much less frequently because meditation is essentially sitting in mental silence, thus not using any given brain pathway.

Now once you have previously specialized neurons just chilling and doing fuck all your brain can start to re-assign them to different tasks such as learning how to solve integrals or whatever you focus your mind on really, thereby giving you more neurons to specialize for a certain task.

The whole "regenerate" neurons thing is a stupid misnomer that likely originated from researchers using buzzwords to acquire more funding.

>hypochondriac

What was that spike? Was then when moot died?

What did I say that was edgy?

That's what I said, Kind of.

Wanna say goobergate.

have you studied buddhism?
one of its principles is "don't believe this- test it"

is not really for western. also you try to add it in your current lifestyle instead change anythin`
you like work is what you get
not even monks meditate all time just if happen have time for

fappening

That's also one of the principles of Ouija boards.

>no-bullshit meditation regimens

Zen Training - Katsuki Sekida

Supposed to be the most "scientific", straightforward book to meditation.

Joke's on you, ouija just got upgraded, see unu.ai and facepalm

Holy fuck finally someone gives a real answer

>Zen Training - Katsuki Sekida
Thanks a lot, I've been moderately interested for a couple years but every resource I found before was silly shit.

There's no non bullshit - because all oriental techniques are bullshit.

Sleep is the best thing for your brain.

Everything else implies some spiritual or impersonal energy which don't exist - so you just feel in some ways because you condition yourself to feel like that.

It's not a real answer, it's a delusional answer.

Meditation is complete nonsense and woo, and the neurologists that support it just use p-hacking.
Sleeping, relaxing and hottubbing does exactly the same thing, but better.
#fact

>#fact

Do I even need to say anything?

Dude, I hate religion too for the most part, but Jesus you're cringey as fuck.

really makes you think.jpg

Nice. Thank you for giving me a patient, thoughtful, non-smarmy answer. Very rare on this board.

Actually though there is a technique called biofeedback that they use in the medical field for stress reduction and has been proven to have similar effects to those purported of meditation. Biofeedback--and this is just one example of what it could be--is where you might hook yourself up to and EKG and use it to help you consciously slow your heart rate down. The thing is meditation is the exact same thing as biofeedback, just without the equipment.

>What are some good no-bullshit meditation regimens?
I'm fond of the catholic one/s

if you have faith in science, you believe that there is a the renormalization group floating around, also known as GOD, always renormalizing bare masses and other abstract parameters of elementary particles.

>science is truth, r-right guize ?

>Ok I'm gonna be nice and not call you names but please accept the fact that nothing can regenerate neurons in the sense you are thinking.
Actually it can
You should check out the degree of neurogeneration which accompanies recovered alcoholics.

Yeah Im with the sociopolitical economist on this one. Additionally, It is often found with difficulty to meditate in english based thinking, because the length of syllables is intrasonaurally dysmorphic to our surroundings. Perhaps try turning on c-span and smoking a fatty then count backwards from a to -a. variables used for the sake of clarity. Also, for a while, in order to obtain a security of mental soundness, be daily nonbias and succinct to the interactions you have. Meditating on a day of nondiscriminate self-encountering is an introvertial and interpersonal strategy. Whatever you decide to meditate for I hope it brings all your positive traits to the surface layer.

Fappening

buimp

Killing yourself

I highly recommend the book "Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation" by Joseph Goldstein & Jack Kornfield for a beginning meditation practitioner. Insight meditation (aka vipassana) is a simple, low bullshit-factor approach to the practice and these two guys are absolute masters.

I disagree with this. It's like that really expensive halo thing they sell now that's supposed to teach you meditation. It gives you audible feedback when you're like.... thinking supposedly.

The goal is to make the noise go away by not thinking, but that's not what meditation is about. You're supposed to become consciously aware that you are thinking, not try to suppress thoughts. I believe that's called Sloth Torpor.

Well supposedly biofeedback doesn't have all the same results, but a lot of easily measurable ones. Now, does it help you with introspection? No.

Anyway, there really isn't much reason to do biofeedback seeing as how you can really do the same things with out the need of specialized medical equipment, regardless of whether or not meditation holds more benefit.

Meditation in the west is done by normies to get their hedonistic fix.

While this may be true for some, it is a long ways from being true for all.

or waste of time am ex-meditator years and might be wrong and definitely better than any of you ever
got interested science spent dreaming next month get money for food dreamed will fill room with cookies if want to know

The Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing (Ānāpānasmṛti Sūtra), or as its wikipedia page puts it, "Mindful-Breathing Discourse."

From its Pali rendition Anapanasati Sutta

"[1] Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' [2] Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' [3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.'[2] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire body.' [4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

"[5] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to rapture.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to rapture.' [6] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to pleasure.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to pleasure.' [7] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to mental fabrication.'[4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to mental fabrication.' [8] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming mental fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming mental fabrication.'

"[9] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the mind.' [10] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in satisfying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out satisfying the mind.' [11] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in steadying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out steadying the mind.'

[12] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in releasing the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.'[5]

"[13] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on inconstancy.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on inconstancy.' [14] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on dispassion [literally, fading].' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on dispassion.' [15] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on cessation.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on cessation.' [16] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.'

"This is how mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to be of great fruit, of great benefit.

>accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.118.than.html

anapassati is nice

>anapassati
A simple practice that can take you all the way to the top of the mountain.

what book is this from? sounds good

The worst thing about trying it is not being able to do it, but never knowing for sure If you are really meditating or not

I think this is very, very common, especially with beginning meditators. This is where having access to an experienced teacher is quite valuable.

this thread should go where all the psychology threads should go.
[spoiler] [/spoiler]

The_Mind_Illuminated_A_Complete_Meditation_Guide_Integrating_Buddhist_Wisdom_and_Brain_Science_-_Yates,_Culadasa_John

It is more interesting to discuss meditation with the Veeky Forums bros than the morons on /x/.

>realize you are experiencing strange phenomena and and occasional vivid visions, but when you realize that you'll break meditation.

AH I HATE THIS. MY EGO IS STILL TOO POWERFUL

Where in my post did I say ""?

do a guided meditation, one that gives you a simple breathing technique will do just fine.

Make a really uncomfortable face in the mirror and yell memes at yourself.

Going just for the medical benefits means breathing deeply and slowly, then using that concentration to relax individual muscles. This increases blood oxygen and decreases stress.

A lot of truth to this.

If you are a beginner and are looking for simple guided meditation from a secular perspective, I recommend "Mindfulness for Beginners" from Jon Kabat-Zinn. Kabat-Zinn is the originator of MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction). His program really is a great place to get started with a meditation practice.

Sit in a chair in a quiet room and meditate. It's not pocket science.

>pocket science

Why must the room be quiet?

once you want to be happy and once you see the dhamma, you understand that happiness is the not the hedonism of the body (through the five senses) nor the hedonism of the will (through the intellect), but what is called stillness towards what fades, which means towards the two hedonisms above.

You understand that you are not awake, which means that you are an hedonist of the body and that in this heodnism, you must behave towards nibbana. this means that you only take care of the body in the view of nibbana. this means that you take only what you need for the body to be used for nibbana. this means only shelter, food and health.
The entertainment is the opposite of the dhamma. Once you want to be happy and see the dhamma, you know that you must appease your five senses, which you know will displease you sooner or later, plus you remain must rain to remain still towards this hedonism. you know that you are not so still towards them currently. THere is no need to worsen the situation. Once you calm what you consider is outside of you and go through your five senses, to speak as a realist, you begin what people call mindfulness, which just means alertness.

You know that you must strive for appeasement towards whatever arises, which means that you must constantly get rid of behaviors which go towards the embracing of the hedonismS, and manage to summon behaviors which lead you to nibbana.
The next thing to the remembrance of why you ''meditate'' as they and to alertness (sati mindfulness) is thus the energy to leave strive for nibbana.
Once you are apply yourself to summon the paramitas [=equanimity+benevolence], everywhere, every time, towards what you consider is you and towards what you consider is not you, once you are secluded, as best as you can, from the excitation of the five senses, a state of consciousness that they call jhana arises. In the jhana you follow this.

Meditation is complete bullshit and it's a pseudoscientific scam on the same level as psychiatry.

What makes meditation worse is that it has it's root in Ayurvedic religious mumbo jumbo.

The "Transcendental Meditation" markets by psychologists is actually part of a super-religious cult that convinces people, incorrectly mind you, that TM causes your brain to heal and learn better. It doesn't.
The EEG results show someone closing their eyes and concentrating at normal levels.
There is zero distinction between regular relaxing and TM. Zero.

All the publications are by people that don't have a clue as to how neurology works, nor how EEGs work.

It's *all* pseudoscience, and *all* of the "reports" are fabricated nonsense by the EXACT SAME groups that support Homeopathy.

Sorry, but that didn't answer my question. Sounds are no better and no worse than any other object of meditation. Any meditation object at all is fine as long as it is perceived with the proper attitude and wisdom.

Non-sequitur / ad hominem attack.
Where is the proof for TM?
It doesn't exist. It's a scam.

perhaps if you are a good meditator

breth in breaht out

yeah and if it worked, why wouldn't you use it?

Your meditation regimens depend on where you want to go and what kind of person you are. In a sense, it's like physical training.

meditation is hard

If meditation is hard for you, chances are you are doing it wrong. For me, it is the most effortless thing in the world.

Wow user, that is some sage advice, thank you from a rando for helping that dude out.

Well, if one is fighting one's experiences during meditation or trying too hard to achieve something that one read about in a book or heard about on a message board, one becomes tired and probably frustrated. This is always a sign that the practice should be examined and corrected.

Religions are conspiracy theories about the reality.