What are biology lab must haves?

What are biology lab must haves?

microscope and beakers

Big dildo.
Physicist on call for all your mistakes.

mathematician for all your mistakes. retard

Mathematicians aren't scientists, silly :) They don't know the last thing about experimental design.

celing, floor, walls, window?

A computer running Windows XP, and infected with half the viruses known to man.

forgot the door.

this would be next. usb 1.4, 10 users(pwd of 8 lost), never updated because no internet of course

Monkeys in the corner to fuck and create AIDS on your time off from tasting slime

slime mold in a loosely covered jar and several pounds of oatmeal

Some sort of NGS machine, mostly from Illumina these days.

>experimental design.
nice spook

Pippettes, tips, tubes, centrifuges, chemical shelf, electrophoresis systems (probably), imager, incubators (probably), chemical hood (maybe, if you're a pansy), tissue culture hood (maybe), PCR/qPCR machines... This list goes on and on. Setting up a decently equipped biology lab can cost $100,000's.

nice sterile metal surfaces, beakers and stuff connected by tubes with colourfull liquids bubbling through them, maybe a whiteboard, a bunch of people in lab coats chattering indicipherable science language or staring in deep concentration at the beakers / whiteboard/ a computer

the usual basically

Yeeehaw. Fire up that X10 baby.

-microscope (along with slides, microscope oil, etc)
-gel electrophoresis tank/power source (as well as UV light source to view bands)
-media ingredients
-PCR machine
-centrifuges
-general chemistry stuff like beakers, scales that measure grams, etc.
-incubators for cultures
-autoclave machine to sterilize media
-bunsen burners/disinfectant for sterile enviornment if dealing with micro stuff
-freezers, one at 4 degrees C for DNA/restriction enzymes/general chemicals and one at -80 C for long term glycerol stocks for bacteria/cells
-sterile disposable gloves
-if transforming bacteria, an electroporating machine (unless you opt out for transformation via chemical methods)

I've been to a few research labs for bio and never seen them use a chemical hood, what are some uses?

MCAT study books and a gullible brain

That's chem bucko

Haven't seen micropipettes yet, extremely useful tool.

At my university we use them for example for making the SDS-PAGE gel solutions.

thoufurious.png

Hot female lab aides in lab coats and glasses who can't do math.

Old guy with pattern baldness.

Microscopes, slides, petri dishes, black lights

>tfw everyone of my bio labs had this exact computer

holy fuck couldn't they just get new computers for the lab. They had them everywhere else.

>not mouth pipetting

Pussy.

>I've been to a few research labs for bio and never seen them use a chemical hood, what are some uses?

In bio?
Taking smoke breaks inside the lab, storage.

>work at a bio tech company
>mfw some new hire retard actually mouth pipettes 12 molar HCl

Just googled this. WHAT THE FUCK? is this real? do people actually use this method in a professional lab?

oh fuck off. everyone knows it's not harmful if you do it quickly. like snatching something submerged in liquid nitrogen barehanded.

Yes. Numerous microbiologists/ pathologists have actually died from accidentally inhaling infectious microbes.

>Guys its not harmful inhale vapour of concentrated
also;
>Comparing inhaling concentrated acid into your lungs which is the most permeable surface on the body
>holding something cold on a peripheral limb with a layer of keratinised cells that are designed to be impermeable.
Do you even into basic high school biology?

It's discouraged, but people still do it and few will say anything if you do.

First it was amusing.
Then my mind started working and it became terrifying.

an unplugged growth chamber with samples in it from 2003

>implying I'm not a biophysicist
Sorry, lost my head. Yes, I'll have an apple pie with that.

It's usually a sign that you went to a really bad school. Also that you should fired.

Believe it or not chemist actually used to taste their products. That's how they figured out how novacaine worked. Also how many chemists got cancer.

Exactly what kind of things do you do in biophysics? Is it like physical chemistry in a biology perspective or what?

And how artificial sweetener came to be.

No no, its like mechanotransduction, electro physiology, ion channels and so on.
Some parts of the body work in physical ways that skip right over chemistry, excitable membranes are the first thing that comes to mind.

In an ecology lab it seems to be outdoor gear, jars and formaldehyde.