Whats the best way to cook the backstrap of a whitetail deer?

Whats the best way to cook the backstrap of a whitetail deer?

sous vide

Yeah I'd do sous vide. I wouldn't trust myself to hit medium rare on an unfamiliar meat. But yeah, dry it off real good, stick it in a bag with a pad of butter and some thyme and sear it on cast iron after

I do one of two methods:
1) Dry rub the whole thing, wrap it in caul fat (aka crepin), sear on all sides, then roast in the oven.

2) Cut into medallions. Season each one individually and treat them like tiny steaks: sear on all sides in a hot iron pan, then toss in some butter, garlic, and herbs and butter-baste them. If feeling extra-fancy then deglaze the pan with a little brandy, and some mushrooms and cream, and reduce to make a sauce.

Op here, that second one sounds fucking fantastic

You're not the OP, I am

No I'M op

No, I am OP

slice and grill with copious black pepper and salt. shit is delicious as is

No im op desu

OP here, pls stop.

Thanks user.

I'M OP YOU FUCKING RETARDED NIGGERS

I like cutting it into medallions ~1" thick. Pat with minced garlic, fresh rosemary and a pinch of red pepper (mix it all up and pat). Cook medium rare in a skillet on medium high heat in olive oil. 3-5 minutes each side.

Additionally, most any lamb chop recipe will come out pretty good with back strap substituted.

House autry breaders - mix 50:50 medium hot and chicken.
Cut backstrap no thicker than 1/2" and bread
Put 1/4" oil in a skillet on medium-high heat
sweet onion sliced and add to oil
Fry breaded slices after the onion has cooked down- about a minute each side.

This is how i did my caribou back strap last year. Cut back strap into portion sizes, brush on melted butter, season well with Cajun seasoning, sear on high heat, and then cook in a 375 oven for 3 min.

I love a reverse sear at 225 then a quick sear on a hot pan with lard or tallow fucking amazing.

>>calls for Medium Rare
>>gives FAR too long of a cooking time for MR

Depends on your stove.

Not really. It needs to be hot enough to sear the exterior yet not burn the oil. The knob setting would vary from stove to stove. But if the temp is set correctly so that the meat is sizzling but the oil is not burning then the cooking time would be fairly consistent from stove to stove. 2-3 min a side should give MR. Any longer time than that and the cook has the heat set too low (or is going for beyond MR)

2 is what I do almost exactly. Good stuff.

No. It has to hot enough to cook it fast, but not scorch the spices. Fuck a sear if it's covered in burnt garlic.

lol

Many ways. The most basic would be sear on every side in fat, then roast in the oven. Make a pan sauce while it gets down to temp under a aluminum foil.

A more non-traditional method would be cutting it flat. This kind of method to make it flat:
>www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCY1CPBE-dY

Or you could cut it that way, stuff with herb, then roast to perfection.

i roll it cornmeal, pan fry, then bake

Rub with salt, pepper, and other spices as desired (I like to add mustard powder and red pepper flakes.) Smoke it with either hickory or pecan (hickory is better) in a low smoker (around 220) till the internal hits your target (for game I usually go at least 145.)