Simple Quality of Life Improvements

Little things can have a big impact on the quality of what you eat, and your quality of life. For the last few years I've had an herb garden, so for most of the year whenever I need an herb I just walk out back and pick some. I've got dill, sage, oregano, chives, thyme, rosemary and mint. Having access to these herbs fresh for most of the year is a small thing that I take great pleasure in.

What little cooking things improve your quality of life?

4 CHAN IS MAHHHHH PERSONAL BAWWWWBLOG

You just wanted to get attention because you're bullshit garden is the only thing you can be proud of.
Sage and fuck you

Not a fan of fresh herbs, or gardening in general?

Salt cellar. It looks like absolute poncery, but adjusting the salt level is such a common step the three seconds it saves being able to just grab some is worth it.

>labeling your own herb rows
heh, sounds like you're well on your way kid, keeping taking those vitamins though

Finishing salt at the table is a good one. The wife started baking her own bread, and that jumped up our quality of life as well.

We have the same, although we include tarragon, fennel, parsley and cilantro. In the flower beds, our oregano acts as a ground cover between the bushes and flowers. Pretty cool.

We also grow most of our own veggies and can or freeze the excess. I don't think it's my imagination that my food tastes better when I use our own produce and spices. Also I don't have to use as much salt or cook things as long to bring out the flavor.

Meh, ours aren't in the nice neat rows like yours are though.

I like herb gardens for herbs that are too pricey to buy at the store.

Things like basil, parsley, cilantro and green onions I'll buy and plant some expensive to buy, but easy to grow herbs.
Sorrel, mint, Thai basil, dill, oregano and others are a good start, though rotating them is good just for variety

Mise en place.

Before you even put a pan on heat, look at your recipe and make sure everything that needs to be chopped is chopped. All your spices are ready to go and you know roughly what you're going to do before you start.

It takes 10-15 minutes, but once you're in the habit your quality of food drastically improves

Mise is doubly important when doing dishes that cook really fast. Crucial for wok cooking.

This.

Once you get some experience cooking it's no problem to do some prep while you have things going on the stove. But if it's something that cooks really fast like a stir-fry you had better have everything prepped before the heat goes on.

Disposable plates and only eat food you can use your fingies to eat. Drink from the bottle, no fuss no muss.

That sounds depressing af.

I buy a lot of shit on Amazon Prime. Idk if it's technically le lifehack but the selection is great.

I get a few things from them. Just got a case of Pomi tomatoes today.

are you ok user

Always wanted to start an herb garden but living in the city with no front yard/backyard or community garden and what not makes it almost impossible

looking good user. fresh herbs are the best.

all u need is a window nigga

godspeed

>fresh herbs are the best.
When it comes to finishing herbs like parsley, cilantro and basil I'd consider them the only legit option.
this

>takes five to ten minutes to check if you've prepped everything
5000 niggawuts
maybe when you first start it if you keep forgetting shit, but otherwise it should be look at your ingredient list, look at your counter, and done

this, buy or make some window planters, or hell just have a spare surface to put several small terra cotta flower pots on and plant your herbs in them. things don't necessarily have to be outside to grow

Cross breed oregano, basil and thyme to make Italian herb mix leaves

You can chop with your eyes?

like I said, it only takes that long if you forget shit, otherwise it should be done already and you're just double checking that you didn't forget anything which most of the time you didn't. or are you saying that at some point you didn't start chopping stuff till you started cooking?

Mise in a home kitchen is different than a work kitchen. In a home setting, you do the prep immediately before cooking instead of hours in advance of service.

The premise is the same. Spend time before cooking to make sure everything is in place

Nice dude! So simple and so effective, hey!
I am in the garden realm as well, got six little plots and a herb spiral, growing enough lettuce and kale to not ever have to buy any, as well as
strawberries, peas and various herbs. Spring is here (Ausfag) so broad beans en masse and tomatoes and okra are in the making! :-)
Keep on gardening on!

Been growing parsley from seed.

Got so much growing, I'm thinking of giving out bunches out the front of my house to passing parsley enthusiasts.

Nice move with the broad beans and okra. Two often overlooked and very great vegetables. Over the last few years they've become favorites of mine. And good luck with your tomatoes! I'm in the northern hemisphere, and just harvested the last of mine!