Tell me about Ethiopian food, Veeky Forums. Have you had it? Did you like it? How do you eat it?

Tell me about Ethiopian food, Veeky Forums. Have you had it? Did you like it? How do you eat it?

Other urls found in this thread:

zeds.net/
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ethiopian-spice-mix-berbere-104015
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes. They do a traditional type of stew that's mildly curried but tastes beautiful. Beef. Inexplicably, it has an egg in the middle of it.

It's eaten with a type of flat bread that is one of the most revolting things I've ever tasted. I can't tell you why or what it's made of but its a disgusting spongy texture and tastes like shit. I had to eat it as I didn't want to be rude but it's put me off eating in one of their restaurants again for life. The stew however as I mention is goat-tier.

They also serve popcorn with coffee which I thought was great. They also tend to have good bar set ups in their restaurants and don't care at all if you get absolutely shit faced.

Later on, there's a lot of dancing. Women are beautiful.

injera bread is god tier

all of it is god tier

Oh, yeah. I should mention the food comes like that. You get your own plate but everyone takes from that central plate. I think the guest is offered the egg in the middle or there might be a couple, can't remember.

And yeah, that's that shit bread but I remember it being thicker.

Generally everyone dishes with their spoon and eats with their hand but they have no problem with you using cutlery and the restaurant had full cutlery on the table anyway.

I thought the bread was weird the few times I tried it.

Injera (the bread) is made from teff. It has a slight sour flavor to it. It's not for everyone but it's good at picking up the various stews. There's probably some kind of sampler or combination platter on the menu. It'll let you a try a variety of dishes without giving you too much if you find some don't suit you.

it looks like a big ass pancake

Yeah. Sour that's the right word. The texture is spongy as well. I just struggled to eat it but I know that likely is mostly to do with being used to bread being a certain way. It's nothing to do with the bread itself and sure, a lot of people may really like it. That was just my particular experience with it.

I bet you are a burger right? Sour bread is pretty common.

No.

canadian is the same thing.

injera is SO FUCKING TASTY

>tfw my whole foods sells it from the local ethiopian place
>protip: microwave it first

the tiny halal grocer near me had like 6 varieties of it but they got gentrified away :(

hipsters giveth, hipsters takeaway

The bread gives me a headache. The dishes are fine I'd just rather eat them with naan or something.

Sourdough is popular in the US.

I'm sure it's good but ethopian cuisine looks unappetizing, it's as if someone chewed it up and spit it out onto the serving platter

The pinnacle of African cuisine. Bread and slop

>Have you had it?

No, but neither have they

love it

Once. I liked it a lot. Every aspect of it, especially the spices they used.

I liked the bread they use a lot.

ITT: OP Is a buttflustered, samefagging Ethiopian who doesn't like any criticism of his shit tier national 'food' at all.

Tried it a couple times.You can get it spicy as fuck and its delicious. But you dont buy this food, you only rent it, just like Indian food.

>It's eaten with a type of flat bread that is one of the most revolting things I've ever tasted. I can't tell you why or what it's made of but its a disgusting spongy texture and tastes like shit.
All of this. This guy knows.

OP, I've eaten at all of the choices that DC has to offer. And, it was only because someone HAD to go, who was in town visiting me. I was done after my first injera visit. I'd take Indian, pakistani, iranian, nearly any other world's cuisine first, any day. I'll be okay if I never have it again, and it's reaffirmed every damn time I had to go.

Here's the deal. There is one ingredient that is added to each dish that ruins it. What I mean by that, is someone's idea of balance is completely opposite to the kind of food the rest of the world makes. Adding sugar where it doesn't compliment it. Those random hard boiled eggs. Making okra as mushy and sticky as humanly possible. Overchopping a meat that is better left chunky. It's hard to fully describe it without sounding just crazy myself, but it's ruined food. It's like someone who decides to puree dinty moore stew and add to cold chicken salad. It's like WTF? kind of seasoning or cooking method. If there is a nice seasoning profile you think you'd like, they'll use 150x more than is needed, and it'll be bitter. No exaggeration. Dried cottage cheese curds with collard greens powder? Oh no no. It's ALL bad. The people are nice..the food is inferior :( It's wannabe Indian food. What changes happened when african food went caribbean or southern american are a good thing. They started to fix the bad when away from the poverty.
Here's the famous Zed's in Georgetown. Apparently Chelsea's favorite *rolls eyes*
zeds.net/
Here's the main seasoning profile of berbere seasoning, the most common in Ethiopian food. Imagine too much of it.
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ethiopian-spice-mix-berbere-104015

10/10 awesome post.

I meant to add, by all means, go try it once. Bring some friends. Order all of it. It's a social thing, kind of like going to have some fondue, or sitting around a hot pot. Laugh, critique it quietly, and get drunk. Now I like sourdough bread, and even adore mushy german rye. I make a old fashioned fermented bread called salt-rising bread. I love bread. This tastes like poi from hawaii that someone left to dry up a bit, and then rolled into a sticky gummy sheet. It's the texture of fruit rolls up. It's also a pain in the ass to eat with, as it's too floppy. Prepare to look like an animal with no manners if you really want to use soft gummy floppy bread to mop up gravy-texture food on a flat platter.

Yeah, the fucking bread is what gets me. The weird thing is that a part of me likes it, or rather that there's something about it that I like. But there's also something about it that I really don't like. It's a strange contradiction.

Otherwise, though, I thought the food was good.

u wot m8?

underrated post

Tbh us Somali's got it right with injera/laxoox

Laxoox is like the pancake equivalent of injera, usually eaten hot topped with butter or olive oil, honey, and tea

As in you spread butter or olive oil on it, then put honey and then pour some tea on it all. The porous nature of the bread absorbs it all

Yeah the bread is usually the deal breaker isn't it?

Personally I like it quite a bit. Spongey and sour, soaks up the stews well. But I don't think it appeals to most people. I'm the sort of person who will eat plain pancakes or crepes out of the pan while I make breakfast for the rest of the family, so I immediately liked it.

Interesting. I clearly have less experience, as I've only eaten at 1 big restaurant in a college town further north and a little cafe near me. The spice was good as I remember it, especially the beef. And I avoid okra at all costs but thought the collards and cabbage were great. We ask for the egg soft boiled.

Maybe the cafe near me adjusts to fit the public palate, moreso than they would in a place like DC where there are lots of east africans.

It's true that overall I'd say the bangaldeshi restaurant and better indian restaurants have bigger, more interesting, more enjoyable menus.

HEY GUYS

GGUUUUUYYYS
LOL

HAVE YOU EVER HAD ETHIOPIAN FOOD?

NEITHER HAVE THEY!!!

LMAO

Get off the Internet ,Dad.

Had some from a stall in Southwark Market the other day, super tasty. Curried lentils & chickpeas, stewed cabbage, delicious injera bread

One of my best restaurant experiences was in this tiny ethiopian place. They just brought a massive communal plate of food. Curried meats, lentils, the amazing bread. Just scooping it up with the bread makes for an amazing combination of pungent sourness and umami. Like indian food but with less finesse and more opposing flavours.

I will try this.

These guys know whats up.

>he doesn't know about our selection of breads

Ive had it once, I remember the food itself tasting pretty good, the pancakes to grab it with tasted like shit. And it was impossible to eat without the crappy pancakes because there was no silverware.
Was a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Meaning, I will never go back.
3/10

Reminds me too much of Indian food so I am not even going to try it.

The Ethiopian espresso I had once was delicious.

There's a great place near me, its got a full bar and it's full of black folks so the hipsters are too scared to go in. Their food is great and ts CHEAP AS FUCK. If I go with some friends we usually end up paying maybe 5 dollars apiece with drinks and tip included.

looks like tripe.

only its bread.

sort of smells like tripe too...

>Tbh us Somali's got it right
Tbh Somalis have never gotten anything right in their entire history of existence.