Butcher Shops

Is meat from a butcher shop any different than meat from a grocery store?

What are the benefits of buying meat from a butcher?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT#Effects_on_wildlife_and_eggshell_thinning
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/145496
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17022422
web.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/DDT_and_Birds.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pros
>Often less expensive since you cut the middle man
>You can get the cuts you want and how you want them
>Encourages local merchants
>is going to be a lot better quality

Cons
>Having to find a local butcher
>the drive to get there may not be economical

I find butcher meat, at least here in the UK, tastes far far better than supermarkets

However here in the UK going to a butcher is generally more expensive than supermarket.

Pro:
Practically any specific cut you want
Butcher can give you tips and what not
Tastes better
Supporting small business
Generally fresher and higher quality than prepackaged at supermarkets

Cons:
More expensive (here at least)
Hard to find a decent local one
Less convenient than just picking up and going

I buy from my butcher because 9 times out of 10 its cheaper, the meat is far better quality and I'm giving my money to the butcher instead of the big supermarkets.

they all come from the same farm. unless your butcher has their own farm or is the only buyer or another farm (unlikely) you're getting the same cow. butchers will buy better grades, but supermarkets do to, the cheaper stuff they sell is just lower grade that they buy in as well.

I work in a meatworks. its all the same shit.

Butcher in my country is way more expensive, because they only stock higher grades.

You guys make a solid case. I moved to a big city and it just hot me that there are like 5 butchers near me and I depleted my meats.

Also should I try cooking ox tails with no experience? Also is lamb a meme?

Also how would I go about getting a whole (but dead) animal for cooking?

lamb is delicious, try hogget and mutton to. depends on what animal you wanted to buy whole.

Lamb is definitely not a meme. If done right it'll be the best thing you'll ever taste.

Provided it's actually fresh and butcher isn't looking to swindle you with his old stock, yes. You'll also find you can order specific pieces from a local butcher as opposed to going with whatever the store has.

It can be expensive as hell if you're just shopping for the standards (Chicken Breast, Steaks, etc)

Butchers I've found can provide fantastic deals on stuff though. Ask them if they have bones for stocks.

>tfw my butcher once gave me Veal Bones for next to nothing.
I felt like I had been given gold.

>Also should I try cooking ox tails with no experience? Also is lamb a meme?

Definitely. Keep in mind you have access to internet so basically any meat you pick up you can find a recipe for.

>Also how would I go about getting a whole (but dead) animal for cooking?
Unless your butcher feels like, well, butchering the carcass for you I wouldn't get a whole animal. You can get it by asking the butcher and he'll reserve a whole animal for you, same animal he would've tranched otherwise for individual pieces.

Only cooking for 2 so I guess being able to order stuff to our needs is nice as well. I nstead of having to repack the leftover meat or if my wife is cooking just wasting the rest by making too much food.

Try oxtail soup first, cheap and very hard to fuck up

Here in the colonies, grocery stores have butcher shops inside them. The store buys primal cuts and makes them into cuts. They'll cut whatever you want for you too.

Hunt for it pussy.

lamb makes the best gravy in the fucking universe.

USA here. Last I checked, the butcher shop's normal meat prices resembled the grocery stores' sale prices while also being of more consistent quality. I'd buy all my meat there if I lived slightly closer

Pro tip: Find a truly independent butcher and avoid the large chain butchers. Basically, if you walk in a butcher store and see half a dozen employees standing around waiting to serve you then turn 360 degrees and moon walk out of there. They'll likely be sourcing their meat from farms that use similar farming practices as the major supermarket chains, so the meat may not be a whole lot better.

The butcher that I've found near me is completely independent and his meat is infinitely better than supermarket meat. The taste is better but more importantly, for me, the meat is much more tender and juicy.
However the single most important aspect for me, as someone who wholeheartedly believes that 'you are what you eat' (on a molecular level), is knowing that the cows that I'm eating have been raised and fed on a diet that they are naturally designed to eat, and that flows through to the creation of their flesh. I guess that explains why it's always so tender.
Unfortunately these smaller independent butchers don't tend to embrace the digital age (i know mine hasn't ) so they can be hard to find and rely on word of mouth. Which probably suits them as they have a limited supply of meat.

Another tip is to buy a cooler bag and a reusable ice block to transport your meat home.

What type of meat so you see the biggest improvement in since changing to that butcher

Definitely the beef.
I don't eat lamb often enough to have noticed any diffence in quality.
However, and this is something that I wanted add before, but I've found that some of the smaller butchers may have different specialties. Like, my regular guy has the best beef that I've ever had but his chicken is pretty ordinary when compared to another butcher a few suburbs away who has much better chicken (and the thighs are huge!). But I've only been to that chicken guy twice so probably shouldn't make any concrete conclusions.
But even his beef was better than supermarket beef, and pretty similar to my regular guy.

countries exist where the average butcher has better deals than the supermarket? - i dont believe you to be honest.

You go to the butcher for the better quality and rarely for the different cuts. And even for those 2 things you have to look reeaaaaaly hard to find a good butcher, otherwise the much higher prices wont be worth it.

Found the Monsanto shill endorsing supermarket meat because those are the cows that are eating the gmo grains.

>Is meat from a butcher shop any different than meat from a grocery store?
Not really.

>What are the benefits of buying meat from a butcher?
Custom cuts

>Also should I try cooking ox tails with no experience? Also is lamb a meme?
... You've got that order mixed up.

Raise it yourself, buy one, or find a butcher and buy a 2 sides (left and right) and some string/needle.

Yes, cheaper feed means cheaper food.
Yes, more heads means cheaper food.

You're the same type of lad from the 70's proclaiming that chemicals, ddt, and nuclear are bad. Try having evidence to support your claims instead of blind testimony.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I have absolutely found that my local butcher (which is nothing special) often has better deals than the supermarket. This is in the USA, Texas, Brazos Valley area.

Specifically, the bacon, whole chickens, and most pork products are cheaper than the supermarket. When the butcher has them (which is not often) the "Tomahawk" style steaks are far better quality and value than anything at the supermarket.

OTOH, if you want a really good quality steak then I must admit the supermarkets are better. We have the HEB chain here in Texas and they stock USDA Prime grade, which the butcher only sometimes has.

But I don't want food that's mass-produced with the goal of it being cheaper.

I want food that's produced with the goal of it tasting better. I am willing to pay a higher price for a better tasting product.

>cheaper feed means cheaper food.
>living in a tent is the same as living in a castle

when cows eat shit that they can't digest then that reflects in the quality of their flesh.

cheaper =/= better

>countries exist where the average butcher has better deals than the supermarket? - i dont believe you to be honest.

that's because you're retarded

butchers here in Germany are dirt cheap, use local meat mostly and have undoubtedly higher quality unless we are talking about the high-end supermarkets, who pretty much have their own butcher shops anyway.

>is lamb a meme

people like you should just leave desu

>"chemicals"
>acting as if that's a thing

h2o is a chemical, too

>ddt

kills birds, kills bees, kill bumblebees, kills butterflies.. kills basically anything that can pollinate plants

you fucking retard

>nuclear

try asking the nips how they feel about nuclear energy

god I hope you kill yourself

Japan has a crap ton of nuclear plants. Did you forget that tsunami a couple year back that damaged one? They love the stuff.

>Is lamb a meme?

Please kill your self

The butcher at the market on my city in Bongland is cheaper than some of the supermarkets.

Less packaging too.

disgusting scavengers like you should be eliminated.
stop eating corpses faggot.
stop stabbing animals to d

stop stabbing animals to death for hamburgers you disgusting pleb*

>h2o is a chemical, too
Exactly.

>>ddt
>kills birds
nope.
>kills bees
yes.
>kills butterflies
maybe.
>kills basically anything that can pollinate plants
blatantly false.

Don't act as though a farm is a legitimate ecosystem.
Inb4 migration and distance a bee travels from its hive, etc

>try asking the nips how they feel about nuclear energy
Probably quite happy. Their reactors are some of the most modern designs in the world.
The only thing that can cause a meltdown with proper design is incompetence.

There is nothing wrong with nuclear power or weapons, the impact is minimal and all the alleged negative effects are the result of fear mongering models from the 70/80's that have been proven to be false or severely limited in legitimate impact.

>others are scavengers
>eating the fruit of shit stones
You're not exactly selling me there...

>not classifying head
>smalahove patrician cut

if you don't eat what you kill, you're a disgusting scavenger
avocados are god tier.

how do the chicken breasts at my grocery store deli go from a chicken breast to a boneless roughly pyramid shaped blob of meat

>avocados are god tier.
The joke is that avocados are likely the evolutionary result of megafauna eating them whole and then shitting the stones out.

>kills birds
>nope.
yes it fucking does, just only not directly
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT#Effects_on_wildlife_and_eggshell_thinning
>kills butterflies
>maybe.
what you mean by "maybe"? it's insect like any other

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT#Effects_on_wildlife_and_eggshell_thinning
It's a disproved meme.

>what you mean by "maybe"? it's insect like any other
Butterflies don't live for long, and I don't know if ddt impacts caterpillars.

every fruit is a result of this process. wether the eater is an animal or a human.

since i don't look for my avocados in warm shits i'm fine
i can say that you're drinking water that was might has been diarrhea and pee.

>butcher thread
>fuck that i wanna talk about the birds and the bees and fucking avocados

ok i'll post butcher content

>disproved meme
show me a peer reviewed study then
never mind, I'll do it for you
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/145496
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17022422
oh look you are 100% full of shit
>I don't know if ddt impacts caterpillars
of course it does you dumb cunt

>Tsunami damages a nuclear powerplant
>THEY HAVE SO MANY NUCLEAR POWERPLANTS

>there is nothing wrong with nuclear power

>or weapons

say that again when pakistan has finally developed its weapon program you mouthbreather

>nope

web.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/DDT_and_Birds.html

but of course, what is stanford university compared to an user (that doesn't post a source) on a singaporean shadowboxing board?

come the fuck on man, why even act like ddt is okay?

bees are already dying out anyway, do we really have to speed it up?

Good tip! Always keep your meat on ice to keep it fresh. Thanx user. Doing the Lord's work.

>say that again when pakistan has finally developed its weapon program you mouthbreather
They are almost no worse than conventional weapons.
The nuclear holocaust/winter/wasteland claims are complete and total memes.
All the cataclysmic predictions are based on models that assume a couple dozen consecutive worse case scenarios, many of which are not valid concerns because building materials and cities in target locations have changed.

The situation literally solves itself.
After 2 weeks you can safely have 1-6 hours of exposure per day.
After 3 months you can safely have 6-24 hours of exposure per day.
The uninhabitable for 200 years is complete shit, after a year you are completely fine. Worst case scenario you will have a negligibly higher risk of cancer. Just compensate with trains instead of planes.
And if you follow the exposure rules, you only have a mildly increased risk of cancer.

there's the perfect mince for bolognese. beef and veal.

did you somehow forget about the part where even the initial impact and the following radiation can kill hundreds of thousands of people?

the bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki resulted in ~130.000 direct deaths. those atomic bombs are nothing compared to the ones we can build now, but even if we are extremely conservative, we are talking about a weapon that can take

>ONE HUNDRED
>THOUSAND
>HUMAN LIVES
>IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE

how anyone can possibly defend that is just beyond me.

>Come on guys! It´s a meme!
>After just 2 weeks you can go outside for a couple of hours!
>And after a couple of months you can go outside probably for a whole day!
>It´s completely a meme u dummies!

Not the anons you´re already arguing with, but since you haven´t been posting citations on the crap you´re typing, you´re either a corporate shill thats just desperately trying to convince people on a shitty image board that ddt is fine and that nuclear power and weapons are just as bad as convencional weapons, when this are used as last resources and regarded as a huge threat by almost every nation of not all of them.
Or you´re just baiting.

I´m going for the latter, so get out spergö, no one is gonna buy into your bullshit.

>did you somehow forget about the part where even the initial impact and the following radiation can kill hundreds of thousands of people?
And this is different from a conventional missile/bombing campaign how?
The death toll and destruction are almost equivalent, the only difference is time scale.
War is war.

>~130.000
eurofag
(it's just bants, don't be a fag)

>those atomic bombs are nothing compared to the ones we can build now
So? The rules of war say that civilian deaths due to housing strategic targets in population centers are the fault of the host country.
If you don't like it, don't like near strategic targets. You know, the same thing you do in a purely conventional war...

>IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
Why is timescale so important to you?

>how anyone can possibly defend that is just beyond me.
Because I understand the limitations and goals of a nuclear war/exchange.
Just about the only time a nuclear exchange would occur is if a nation is losing hard (invaded and lost control of most of the nation).
And next to no one is willing to trade the existence or themselves and their country just to spite another.
Not to mention that most of their silos, warheads, and bombs would have already been captured.

>And this is different from a conventional missile/bombing campaign how?

a bombing campaign takes much longer and is, generally speaking, less destructive unless you invest huge amount of human and material ressources into it. it is also much harder to pull off.

it can be just as devastating, as the korea war has shown.

>(it's just bants, don't be a fag)

fair

>If you don't like it, don't like near strategic targets. You know, the same thing you do in a purely conventional war...

I assume you meant to say live, not like? that's a fucking retarded argument. no one should have to live in the woods just in order not to get bombed.

by looking at your argument from a diff perspective it is revealed how ridiculous it is:

>don't live next to an atomic reactor
>it's your own fault when it explodes

no, it is not. I did not ask anyone to build this reactor where I live. I should not have to move because someone wants to build a reactor close to my home.

>Why is timescale so important to you?

just having to use a single bomber and just having to successfully drop a single bomb makes the process that much easier.

in a conventional bombing campaign, how many bombers are brought down by fighters or aa guns or missiles?

with WOMD you only need one successful hit. it's critical.

>Because I understand the limitations and goals of a nuclear war/exchange.

you don't. if a nuclear war really would break out, how big would the chances be that just a single nuke gets dropped?

if it goes down the one thing that'll happen is MAD. you'd be ignorant to think otherwise. even if one atomic bomb isn't the end of the world, twenty come pretty close to the apocalypse.

>Just about the only time a nuclear exchange would occur is if a nation is losing hard (invaded and lost control of most of the nation).

I dont think nuclear war is realistic, but thats not what this argument is about at all.

you are bizarrely optimistic

yeah, it wouldn't be total cataclysm as in "planet explodes"

EMP alone would throw everything into medieval age, in 50's-80's that wasn't that big issue with vacuum tube computers still around and electronics were a rarity
but now, you can't even open a car with fried electronics, let alone drive it around
there would be no trains to compensate with for the "negligibly higher risk of cancer", let alone planes to compensate

because for that amount of death people, you need a huge bombing run with tens of thousands of people doing the bombing
all you need for that same effect is a cannon or a jet or a missile

you sound like the most retarded WWI general
>geez what's wrong with you, just walk into the machineguns and poisoned gas, it's just a faster shooting longbow and smelly mist right? just don't breath it in
>I mean you guys get shot by the thousands, but in all wars people get killed, right?
>Why is timescale so important to you guys?

Whats the best way to find out about farms and local produce? I don't want to go and badger the butcher but im interested in whats in my area

Anyone got a Denver butcher recommendation? Every butcher shop I've been to has been way overpriced and caters to rich hipsters.

>you need a huge bombing run with tens of thousands of people doing the bombing

A nuclear bomb still requires that much effort. It's just elsewhere. Conventional bombs take very little effort to produce but a lot of effort to deliver on target. A nuke has that backwards: relatively easy to deliver, but a massive amount of work up-front to create the bomb's components & associated technology.

>no one should have to live in the woods just in order not to get bombed.
Oh hey... I'm in a population/shipping center, and there are more than a dozen army, navy, air, and marine corps bases within 100 miles of me.
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised when I get bombed...

>no, it is not.
I would agree that isn't not your fault it exploded.
>I did not ask anyone to build this reactor where I live.
Perfectly fine to do so.
>I should not have to move because someone wants to build a reactor close to my home.
You want to control the land around your home, you should have bought the land around your home.

>just having to use a single bomber and just having to successfully drop a single bomb makes the process that much easier.
Yes. That's why people agree to not use them provided others follow suit, because it benefits you more not to use them.
A nuclear exchange puts a war to stalemate pretty quick, which is just about the worst possible outcome. Modern wars go to submission not destruction, so its best to just lose to an agreeable level and recover than to destroy yourself out of pride.

>how big would the chances be that just a single nuke gets dropped?
Among nuclear nations, short of the jews taking their ball and going to hell too, next to none.
But against a nuclear and non-nuclear power, fairly good.
If they are smart they will submit. If not, then it should only take one or two more.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I just used google. Search for the name of your city plus whatever it is you're looking for (butcher, farmer's market, co-op, whatever)

Also, you're not pestering the butcher (or whomever) by asking relevant questions. That's what they are there for. I've gotten a lot of useful input like this:

Me: Hello, I'm looking for X. Do you have that?
Them: Sorry, we don't sell that.
Me: Thanks, do you know someone who might be able to help?
Them: Sure, check with A, B, or C.

>you sound like the most retarded WWI general
Hey, marching fire was a sensible tactic for the 1910's.

>>geez what's wrong with you, just walk into the machineguns and poisoned gas, it's just a faster shooting longbow and smelly mist right?
The chinese bought it...

>just don't breath it in
This is good advice.
Agreements to not use weapons unless the other party violates the agreement don't tend to form until after the end of a war.

>I mean you guys get shot by the thousands, but in all wars people get killed, right?
Yeah, large scale war does tend to have large scale death.

I live in the butt fuck middle of no where in Scotland. Tried googling for what the farms around me produce other than dairy but had no luck

I've never lived in Scotland, but I have lived in rural areas in a couple different US states. What I noticed there is that there is always somewhere(s) in the community where people tend to congregate, or at least somewhere where everyone goes for one thing or another. In the rural areas of the US it's often what we call a "feed store"--basically a shop that sells everything, but has a focus on farm supplies. Think of a farm store, gun store, hardware store, clothing shop and supermarket all rolled into one. I just asked around there. If the person you're talking to doesn't know then they will know someone who does. I would imagine there's somewhere like that in your area too: maybe it's the only supermarket or gas station or whatever in the area. Next time you're there, just ask.

How much land do you own?
You could grow them yourself.

A gentleman and a scholar

ok hansi, either you are from the countryside or you are talking complete shit.
I am german 2, it is known that germany has the cheapest supermarkets in the western world, dont pretend your local butchershop, who has to pay his rent on the little sales he does, can afford to keep up with aldi etc dipshit. I also go to a different butcher for each animal, i only buy cheap supermarket cuts for broth, and i said in my post that the quality is why youre going there. But in a large GERMAN city, butchers are waywayway more expensive than a supermarket on the average, no discussion possible.

It almost doesn't even look real to me. Like they're made of rubber. My mind just doesn't want to think of them as food.

Try squinting.

Wildly underrated

>ok hansi, either you are from the countryside or you are talking complete shit.

no, i live in eastern germany in a big city

when I lived in bavaria the prices of the butcher were often comparable

to add to this, i've found that certain cuts, especially the tougher ones you have to cook longer are especially cheap in butcher stores

hell often time even their mince is cheaper, which is very odd to me

I lived off of 3 euro a day for almost two years so I know what the fuck I'm talking about, I saved big money by going to the butcher

Fuck, the lamb meat season is about to start up here in two weeks and that picture fucking triggered me. Ill be up at 3am to pack all of that shit soon enough.

10/10

I always buy my meat from Asian supermarkets here in the US. Not sure if there is any different from regular supermarkets.

>Maybe I shouldn't be surprised when I get bombed...
I would be surprised that I'm the one being bombed and not the more than a dozen army, navy, air, and marine corps bases within 100 miles of me.

The main difference is they have different cuts available than your average grocery store does. Stuff like thinly-sliced beef for frying, etc.

I go to a butcher mainly because the supermarket cuts their meat for white pussies. I can't find a fucking pork shoulder with enough skin left on for chicarrones. If you live in a place where barbecue is more popular, this probably won't be a problem for you, but out here in suburbia, fucking everyone is afraid of anything that isn't dry overcooked chicken breast.

You can't even find chicken wings anywhere except at hole-in-the-wall bars. Everything is fucking "boneless wings" WHICH ARE JUST CHICKEN NUGGETS IN SAUCE. THEY'RE NOT WINGS.

anyone know of a decent butcher in the houston area?

>always buy my meat from Asian supermarkets

The beef is often from Mexico, which doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. One good thing, they have excellent fish sections, and butchers that can cut anything you want.

>which doesn't mean it's necessarily bad
Sure thing pedro ;)

I'd rather have it than the putrescence they call beef at Walmart.

Veeky Forums - Nuclear Weapons

Meat from supermarket is usually sold too early. It has to appeal to the eye, like everything in a supermarket. If it's not aged properly it won't get as tender as a fine piece of meat from the butcher. The butcher will sell you the beef in it's perfect state. Also you should let him decide on the cut so he can think up which piece that he has in stock would satisfy your needs for the best. You should also save his number and make orders so he can take preperations to give you even better quality.

The butchers near me are utter wankers. They'll sell you complete muck under the pretence of "helping local business".

Sainsburys is fine.

I really like one local butcher in my city. It's only 5 minute bicycle ride away and some really nice foie gras, soups, ragoût and tête de veaux. You don't find these meals made to only warm up in a pan at the supermarket. You can buy the ingredients at the supermarket though but they take about 3 hours to make. But a butcher has them already made, and it only takes then about 5 to 15 minutes to warm up and dinner is served.

Bunch of halal butchers nearby. Never seen a non halal one.

Halal slaughter is the easiest, thats why. You stun gun, string em up and slit the throat. No pain, no panic, easier to bleed the blood out with the heart still going. When you stun gun em, thats it, all over.

I've only seen people shoot them for slaughter when it's one or two for personal meat.