It's over guys, born too soon

It's over guys, born too soon.
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3000524/I-no-way-reaching-Mars-five-decades-Expert-says-Nasa-s-plan-2030s-not-feasible-moon-instead.html

Other urls found in this thread:

express.co.uk/news/science/607938/WATCH-Lunar-wave-which-cameraman-claims-proves-Moon-is-actually-a-HOLOGRAM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We could go to mars now. SpaceX's rocket landing technology makes it possible.

The only thing keeping us from doing it is the lack of money and will.

thankfully Musk has both.

See

Ah the DailyMail, the world's most untrustworthy news source.

"news"

No the problem is that we don't have any rocket that can get there fast enough.

Since this is a moon thread can anyone explain this? I was messing about on Google Earth and thought the perfectly circular shape was a little unusual.

Context?

>born too soon.

Sometimes I think, how lucky we are to live in this time, the first moment in human history when we are, in fact visiting other worlds and engaging in a deep reconnaissance of the cosmos. But if we had been born in a much earlier age, no matter how great our dedication, we couldn't have understood what the stars and planets are. We would not have known that there were other suns and other worlds. This is one of the great secrets wrested from nature, through a million years of patient observation and courageous thinking

that's funny because back in 1994 we believed it was possible to land on mars

the public just doesn't care for space exploration any more. we're too busy fighting unwinnable wars on terror.

The radiation exposure is a major issue though. Unless we can get there and back much faster.

Basically gave you as much context as I could. Object looks like it could be on some kind of slope.

We just need another Sputnik, like China doing it first. We'll colonize the shit out of it after that.

So one man did some research on propulsion systems, and identified an issue which space agencies have been aware of for decades and have been actually figuring out solutions to rather than screaming doom to a sad little news company. Op is lazy. Lazy op. You wrote this article didn't you?

I like that. We are living in the last prescientific era; going forward, everyone will have scientific knowledge. Because internets.

If people can spend months in orbit on the ISS why cant they spend months going to Mars?

because those people are good for nothing after those months spent
Certainly not doing hard work on mars
And once u leave earth orbit you are exposed to the radiation from the sun

ISS got regular deliveries [3 months].
ISS also was a shorter distance for said deliveries.
MARSDERP is going to have to take everything with it, which will cost fuel, and it has a longer distance to go.
So factor that in.

Sorry, I should have specified that I was only talking about the radiation.

Yes we do. Nuclear fission rockets developed in the 60s, or Orion drive.

This thread very soon:

"something something MCT something something BFR something omg supersonic retropropulsion so awesome xD something something Dragon V2 reusabilyty will save us all praise Elon"

some of you are late on the news... express.co.uk/news/science/607938/WATCH-Lunar-wave-which-cameraman-claims-proves-Moon-is-actually-a-HOLOGRAM

>Guy with a doctorate and internet connection in Portugal says it's impossible
OK GUYS, PACK IT IN, EVERYONE GO HOME

VASIMR is the only feasible way

Solutions

1. build a cycler
2. have rotating barbell shaped section on the craft.
3. nuclear thermal rockets so you can go fast and don't need an oxidizer.
4. you don't need to shielded from radiation all the time. You just need a radiation shelter for when your exposure risk is high. line it with something hydrogen dense you are already having to carry. you can also generate a powerful magnetic field around it to deflect ionized particles.
5. you send everything but the people to mars ahead of time. less mass on the cycler. go faster. carry less reaction mass.
6. the hab sets up near a cave. you spray the cave walls with resin to seal it up with an airlock to the outside and another air lock in the interior. the cave is radiation shelter.
7. the cycler drops a crew off and autopilots back to earth to get more.
8. you keep sending material to mars. the crew presently on mars keeps building and expanding.
9. cycler arrives and ground crews change out.
10. returning martians are weak bags of cancer. so you will probably have to retire them to a special home. until such time that they are healthy enough for earth.
11. keep it up until you have a complex that can support large numbers of people with out earth supply missions.
12. send the settlers.

>what is a crater