Pickling General

Just pickled some green beans AMA

What are pickled green beans used for? Just salad?

doing a shit load of mac applesauce soon, any ideas for the peels?

I just eat them as a snack or with meals

They make a very solid side dish for a lot of things. I like to put them next to grilled chicken breast.

nice

what'd you put in it?

White wine vinegar, garlic, dill, bay leaf, black pepper, red chili flakes, mustard seeds, ground coriander, turmeric, salt, sugar, a couple cloves and a bit of celery seed

>follow loads of pickling recipes down to the smallest detail
>always ends up fermenting
why? is there a tiny fertility goddess hiding in my cupboards?

Clean your shit out better

I don't shit in mason jars. We use toilets for that here.

>>always ends up fermenting
If you don't want any fermentation go for canning instead. Lactic bacteria are ubiquitous. They are inhibited by substrate depletion and high acidity.

they're canned lol

You're clearly not following the recipes down to the smallest detail if fermentation ends up happening.

What vinegar are you using? At what concentration?

Are you sterilizing your jars & lids? If so, how?

stop touching your cooch before handling the vegetables

My dad hates it when I make pickles because he thinks we'll die of botulism lmao

Besides other things already said. Use regular salt, not iodine one.

I lile to thinly slice yellow onions and pickled them with the following as my main base

1cup white vinegar
1cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

I sometimes thrown in some anise and put that shit on burgers

Sounds breddy gud

fermenting is better, you get healthy lactobacillus, using vinegar is just preserving it, what you live in the 1800s and need to store food for the winter? nigga just go to the grocery store

where i work, our ratio is:

3/4 c vinegar
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c water

peppercorn, corriander, anise, bay leaf

or for a lighter, sweeter pickle it's

2/3 c vinegar
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c water

I'm not being funny or anything, but why do Americans always put sugar in their pickles? Pickled veg s supposed to be sour.

have you ever pickled anything before?

pickling with straight up vinegar isn't good.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I often pickle with straight-up vinegar as the only liquid. I find that cutting it with water makes the pickle less flavorful.

There are different styles of pickles. Some are sweet and sour, some are just sour. I've made both kinds, but I most often make the sour ones.

i posted these recipes and the mixture definitely isn't "sweet". it's balanced and not like getting kicked in the dick by a bottle of vinegar.

i mean, pickles like that have their place (like when pickling things like carrots or other super dense veggies), but for most applications it's just too much to be used as a versatile ingredient.

I don't like my pickles very sweet but adding a bit is a must

because sweet & sour is breddy gud

How long should i wait after processing bread and butter pickles? I want to eat them as soon as possible