What is the science behind brushing your teeth?

what is the science behind brushing your teeth?
are there actual studies in support of the claim that a regular brushing regime reduces risk of developing cavities/bad teeth/etc ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PsgBtOVzHKI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16355646
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubme/17240933
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I never brush my teeth and haven't had any cavities and teeth are shiny white. Brushing is a meme invented by the global dentist society to make you by useless shit like toothpaste. Fuck the jews

This. Do you think people in Israel ever brush their teeth?

No science. This is for hygiene purpose.

whats the point of "hygiene" if it lacks any credible scientific basis?
for all I know, brushing my teeth weakens them.

I want hard facts. Rigorous studies, not dentist recommendations or what mommy told ya

bump

okay dont brush them then because no science is involved. enjoy stank mouth, yellow teeth, gingivitis, cavities, and many more nasty things.

Here's the deal, humans didn't evolve to require a toothbrush. However, humans didn't evolve to eat as much sugar as we do today which is a huge contributing factor to tooth decay.

I'm outta here gonna let someone else argue the rest

Teeth on cavemen skulls seem okay. People literally went hundreds of thousands of years without toothpaste. Who knows.

>gingivitis, cavities, and many more nasty things.
you say these are consequences of not brushing teeth as if there was a scientific consensus about it.
All I'm asking is actual evidence to back that up.

apparently Feynman didn't believe in brushing your teeth:
youtube.com/watch?v=PsgBtOVzHKI

You know even chimps clean their teeth with sticks, right?

anecdotal evidence is pretty clear: if i dont brush my teeth they do get yellow and lots of crap builds up around the gums and before a few days go by, my breath stinks.

it doesnt seem to get a whole lot worse than that tho, ive gone months and months with rarely brushing them.

brushing regularly or semi-regularly, on the other hand, keeps them fairly white and my breath is usually decent and i dont get a lot of crap in my gums, which consequently dont bleed as much.

brush your fucking teeth, nigger

I've endured several stretches without brushing my teeth for months due to schizophrenia. No noticeable symptoms aside from very mild discoloration and bleeding on probing that went away after resumption. Still afraid to see a dentist, though. I probably have a cavity on every tooth.

I agree! No science No brushing! Fuck mom she can eat her own stank

Cavemen didn't eat donuts and drink mountain dew

>anecdotal evidence
stopped reading right there.

Did not know that. I presume said chimps have diets high in fruit?

brushing them 3 times a day? probably unnecessary.
I brush them once a day, right before bed. If I dont, I wake up with stanky breath and sometimes a sore throat.

I have 2 fillings. One of them is from a lego though. The other happened after my wisdom teeth came in.

Plus, if I ever have problems, dentistry has come a long way.

should mention that my diet is mostly plant based, I do splurge on the occasional beer/soda/taco bell

This thread is so gross

The more carbs and sugar you eat, the faster the bacteria in your mouth reproduces and eats up your teeth hence alcohol in mouthwash, kills bacteria

>The more carbs and sugar you eat, the faster the bacteria in your mouth reproduces and eats up your teeth hence alcohol in mouthwash
only morbidly obese americans eat sugar

Kek I'm not talking about pure sugar, plenty of people drink sugared drinks, coffee and tea for example

There's no sugar in coffee or tea?

>I'm not talking about pure sugar
neither was I.
I dont eat/drink anything with artificially added sugar in it (which excludes like 90% of the food in america where everything has high fructose corn syrup in it) and guess what: I am not morbidly obese.
Maybe you should try it

Such projecting

I made a comment about dental hygiene, why are you bringing up nationality and all this flaming bullshit?

Also I'm neither American nor obese

final bump.

So it's the consensus that there is absolutely NO hard scientific data on the effectiveness of tooth brushing?

tmyk

>there.
Stopped reading there.

I eat/drink a lot of stuff with added sugar in it, and I am not morbidly obese either. Where is your god now?

>A thread on Veeky Forums
>Consensus
Ask your dentist, he studied that shit for years.

>Veeky Forums
wat, we're on sci you faggot.

> he studied that shit for years
there are people who study Islam for years. Doesn't mean any of it is based on evidence.
Your argument is invalid.

Also stop being so obviously butthurt about the fact that I pointed out how you engage in a superstitious ritual

I'm not sure what kind of answer are you looking for OP?
No, there were no studies on dental hygiene because everyone took opt granted. Literally none. Tell this to your mother- she will stop pressuring you to brush your teeth even though your breath stinks.
If there were no studies what are you going to do? Continue or stop brushing?

>>Veeky Forums
Oops, yes, Veeky Forums. Still, it's no more trustworthy.

>Continue or stop brushing?
certainly brush before I go out between people, because bad breath is like pussy repellent

Vermin Supreme 2016. Toothbrushes and ponies for everyone.

>there were no studies on dental hygiene because everyone took opt granted
if it's so bleeding obvious, it should be REALLY easy to prove.
So fact that to this day it has not been makes me suspicious about just how "obvious" this really is

Have you looked for studies (or other articles about it) yourself? Because just not being presented them on a silver plate when you ask for them does not mean that they don't exist.

By all means, stop brushing your teeth, it's your body. If in 30 years you still have perfectly fine teeth you'll know that it wasn't necessary. If you don't, well, correlation doesn't mean causation, right?

>still no studies
anything you babble is meaningless, unless you can cite some studies to back up your "common sense" notions.
but you sure get defensive. Does the idea that something you do everyday and have always believed in might just be superstitious hocus pocus really aggravate you that much

Literally went to wikipedia and looked at the citation.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16355646

I havent brushed my teeth in since i was 8. Now my teeth are comepletly without cavities anytypes of fillings and when i stil went to the dentist they always told me i had beautiful teeth and were shocked when i told them i never brush. Brushing teeth is a way for corporations to get rid of toxic chemicals and make money poisoning you.

My parents are from afghanistan and there my grandparents did not use any form of brushing teeth. Their teeth is clean and white because they only ate natural foods and drank fresh mineral spring water. Brushing teeth is nowadays a must because of the shitty food that is served

What I've always heard is... You get food stuck on your teeth.

Then Bacteria comes to feed on said food.. Bacteria excretes, the excrete both smells foul and is acid enough to damage the enamel over time.

Enamal damage means your teeth are more susceptible to yellowing and eventually more serious things like cavities/rot.

How can one guy be so based?

>I havent brushed my teeth in since i was 8
to be fair it takes longer than 4 years without brushing for your teeth to rot out.

I do so once in a while if I ate something too asidic

It's a conspiracy by the toothpaste manufacturers to get people to buy their product.

Pic related.
I don't brush and I'm fine.

Well, that was unexpected. Are you some kind of regretful NEET troll or something?

Not a regular poster on this board, but here's some anecdotal evidence from my dentist. Eskimo village in the 80's had no dental issues to speak of, no cavities, no decay. Suddenly cavities abound, dental hysteria ensued. Turns out a coke machine had been introduced a few months earlier.

>probably New Coke, proves Eskimos have shit taste

I shivered

The fuck is going on here?

of course there is studies. just google it and you find millions of them.

Shakespeare has a character say:
"Bid them wash their faces and keep their teeth clean."

This is coming from a guy who ate meat with his hands and used an outhouse without toilet paper or running water, like everyone else in his time.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16355646
here is one random study from that review:
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubme/17240933

>only compare different brands of toothpaste
>no control group that doesn't brush
>no mention of diet

as others in this thread have pointed out, staying away from sugery food is probably the best thing you can do for your teeth. I find it telling these studies don't mention the kind of foods the populations consumed.

Pretty much.

OP, when I was a teen, I didn't brush my teeth for years (long period of depression). Took me a very long while to convince myself I needed things fixed, and I lost some of my teeth from this. My gums also suffered and whatever's been done can't be easily fixed. Just brush your teeth, don't be an idiot. I'm still paying for mistakes I made years ago.

Wow this thread is dumb. This entire forum is dumb.

Why do people on this board believe every fucking conspiracy?

>Food gets caught under gums and between teeth.
>Bacteria grows in food this food.
>Bacterial wastes build, are acidic, decay teeth, and infect gums.
>Brushing removes bacteria.
>Fluoride kills bacteria and reduces acidity.
>Fluoride chemically alters enamel making for less grooves for bacteria to grow in.

Now, the actual effectiveness of fluoride, vs. the toxicity is largely debated, but as far as brushing and flossing itself concerned, that's about as clear a chain of cause an effect as you can hope to get.

I've personally noticed that using mouthwash has been a lot more effective at preventing cavities than brushing. Admittedly I am lazy about brushing but really it just seems like the key is putting something in your mouth that kills the bacteria.

Perhaps, but it doesn't remove food between the gums and teeth, and thus becomes less effective over time.

Obviously it'd be wiser to do both.

A water pick wouldn't hurt either. Anecdotal, but that thing was the difference between night and day for me, provided it's one you can hook to your faucet.

I suppose a water pick loaded with strong mouthwash would be even better still, but that'd get pricey over time. (Maybe salt water, but that'd probably clog up the pick eventually.)