New element names

What does Veeky Forums think of the new names?
>Nihonium
>Muscovium - I called this one :^)
>Tennessine
>Oganesson

Other urls found in this thread:

change.org/p/support-lemmy-tribute-name-newly-discovered-heavy-metal-lemmium
lemmium.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Nihonium

First blush: I like them, nice mix of place names and some dude's name.

I also love that the row is officially done now, in the most important sense. They should declare chemistry to be over and not look for anything higher, so as not to screw up the table.

>not look for anything higher
There's still the island of stability to look forward to

Nope, that's as fictitious as the Round Earth and the New World. And how can it exist if it's not in nature and we don't make it?

118 elements. Nice looking, standard table. we're done. :^)

117 was made in russia, should have russian name

I like Tennesine. It has a nice ring to it and is easily pronounced unlike a few other elements.

Pls hang yourself

>forcefully connect particles
>Call it new element
Why is this allowed?

>>forcefully connect particles
Oh man, that's good.

Nihonium, Moscovium, Tennessine, Oganesson.
Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Tennessine Nation attacked.
Only the Avatar, master of all four elements could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished.
A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an Oganesson bender named Oong.
And altough his oganesson bending skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone.
But I believe Oong can save the world.

made my day

What do people think about Ts being the symbol? I saw someone write that it could be confused with tosylate, but then again I feel like they'd be unlikely to be in the same paper so it might be a non-issue.

>Lacks basic understanding of what an element is and how it's created.

Collide. What else?

I am not saying they don't collide. You are asking why it's allowed for them to collide atoms to create new elements. Well, that's exactly how elements are created in the first place, nuclear fusion.

If your "element" falling apart after few nanoseconds then it's not an element, but a pile of particles sticked together

Tsarine

It's a great symbol, if we can manage to react it with titanium then we get TiTs.
Holy shit we actually might be able to do this.
A nanosecond is a long time, some chemical reactions happen in shorter time periods

Not an argument

For many chemists the table was done with decades ago.

All these new elements are important as nuclear fusion of Uranium to chemists.

>nihonium

GRORIOUS NIHONIUM KATANA

FUSIONED ONE THOUSAND TIMES

Uh loo muh num

I like all of them except oganesson. It seems a bit too long and rough for an 18th group element.
It also sounds really unnatural in greek.

Yurion sounds pretty cool.

chemist here, does anyone actually deal with lawrencium at all? I occasionally use the universal forcefield for setting up shitty molecular dynamics sims and lawrencium is as far down the table as it can handle.

These are the island of stability. They have half lives of microseconds instead of nanoseconds.

>Tennessine

Hah. At some point this is a valid argument.

If you ignore its etymology, it's pretty nice.

Which means it's pretty nice and you're just irrationally biased against Tennessee.

>microseconds instead of nanoseconds.

That's revolutionary

Hmmmm

>McNhOgTs
I'm loving it

If your universe is falling apart after a few billion galactic years it wasn't a universe to begin with, but a pile of particles sicked together.

You have something against winding rivers?

I never saw anything beyond Uranium used for anything at all myself.

If your organism falls apart after a few decades then it's not an organism, but a pile of molecules stuck together.

I like it

Those final two break the naming conventions established for elements but I would be ok, although not really thrilled, with Tenessium and Ogansium

What? Look at the periodic table, -ine and -on are used for the last two columns.

Sure but people giving the provisory names for 117 as Ununseptium and 118 as Ununoctium shows what a mistake those were

Upon reading my reply I realize it wasn't really clear enough; 118 isn't even a gas

>literally not calling it Elerium
faggots

They were only placeholders, and it is quite unlikely that we'll ever get to the end of the next row (because super-actinides), so it was only just those two.

As to whether 118 is a gas or not, it's sort of hard to confirm experimentally when you have a sub-millisecond half life. Relativistic effects can really make things crazy.

> Nihonium

Oh boy, I sure can't wait for Japanese anime to use that whenever they need material with magical bullshit properties.

> In b4 new Gundam series where Japan discovered stable isotops of Nihonium to build a Gundam

>>forcefully connect particles
>>Call it new element
>Why is this allowed?

Next we're going to crash Charon into Pluto and tow the result to a new orbit so it can be a planet again.

I'mma just leave this here:
change.org/p/support-lemmy-tribute-name-newly-discovered-heavy-metal-lemmium
lemmium.org/

I was going to add one about shitposts and a pile of bullshit stuck together, but that one would be true so I'd ruin the chain.

>still no J on the periodic table

Americium is used in smoke detectors- that's why you have to change them every ten years.

Oh god don't tell me chemistry is following physics into useless bullshit. Californium is the last useful element, all the others are useless curiosities. We should really stop funding this research.

I agree. We should stop where we are, at 118.

No! Not until we've had a "sodium party" with 119!