Crawfish

Do Crawfish have their own unique flavor?

Are they good; are they better than shrimp?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GzJ7dXY9UHs
youtube.com/watch?v=71jo8PKqKYg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They look like nasty fucking cock-a-roaches being broiled in a pan.

I don't see the appeal.

Well, they're called mud bugs. I think some of the process of cooking them is to cover up any kind of mud flavor, which is mild mind you. They are somewhat like lobster flavored, but ideally they are cooked in a pretty good amount of crawfish/crab boil seasoning, which is like the cajun equivalent of bay-heavy Old Bay. A liquid boil is better than a powdered for heat, has essences of thyme, marjoram, clove, bay, and lots of hot pepper, but missing some of the mustard seed and dill element. I think crawfish tastes like the boil, but succulent and buttery, lemon-y with the butter added too. Plus any corn or potatoes cooked with it. A lot of people suck the crab boil liquid that lingers in the head.

A cross between shrimp and lobster is how they taste to me unless you go to a place where they sell the bigger ones and those taste like lobster

unique flavour? yes
better than shrimp? no
fresh shrimp's best the sea can offer

When fresh, they have a richer flavor than shrimp.. shrimp taste a lot like the sea while crawfish taste like all the shit they've been eating in creeks and streams... Given the option between two A+ quality specimens, I would take crawdads every time

If shrimp are the peanuts of meat, then crawfish are pistachios.

Yes. They have a less briny and richer taste than shrimp.

As far as being better than shrimp, that is subjective.

youtube.com/watch?v=GzJ7dXY9UHs

crayfish/crawfish/crawdads are the same thing right?

youtube.com/watch?v=71jo8PKqKYg

yep

They start as fish and then grow the armor plating and at old age they are probably dads as well.

Spoken like someone who has never had fresh snowcrab. Shrimp is over rated.

I like them but I think the whole crawfish boil experience makes them better. nothing like picking through a shit ton of crawfish boil on a table in your backyard with some ice cold shitty beer.

How the hell do you eat these?

They have so little meat and so much shell

Break tail off from head. Suck head. Remove tail meat from tail and eat it.

If they're large enough then the claw meat is worth eating too. Just break off the "thumb" part of the claw and if you're lucky the meat will come out with it.

>Suck head

l-lewd

Yeah I'd take crawfish over shrimp any day, even if the shrimp are in the same boil. They just don't have that delicious crawfish flavor.

Fuck I want some crawfish now.

They're delicious, you just need to go somewhere with a good boil. Cajun or creole people required.

They're a great source of energy for fucking your cousin

spoken like someone who has never had dungeness.

This makes me feel uneasy

We're gonna get in trouble for this down the road