Protips on cooking instant oatmeal

Im about to make some for the firse tim in my life

Box say water salt and oats to cook 1 minutes

I do not have strawsberrys or blue berrys

Protip: Just follow the directions.

Follow the instructions and find some stuff to add into it or else it will taste like shit.

>peanut butter
>cinnamon
>nuts
>maple & brown sugar

If you have some times, get apples, cook them in a skillet with brown sugar, allspice, and a bit of butter until they get soft. Then put that on top of your oatmeal and finish it off with some crushed walnuts. It's a great fall breakfast.

Using vanilla soy milk rather than water is also really delicious, but it will add a bit of sugar.

All you need to do is rehydrate the oats, even if they are old fashioned. No need to 'cook' them.

Stir wit benis get best resudts XD

I just 'cook' mine with boiling water from my tea kettle poured right over the oats until all are wet but not swimming the water. Brown sugar and maple with cinnamon is used to flavor it.

Not OP, but you put that shit on after cooking the oats, right?

My best tip for cooking any oats: cook them in a low amount of water so that they remain firm. For 40g rolled oats, for example, just use 120 ml (half cup) of water.

Add your milk (dairy or nut-based) AFTER they're cooked, the hotter the better. This way you lose none of the flavor in your milk.

Once you go steel cut you won't go back.

use milk rather than water
add apple slices
add cinnamon

Seconding this
Steel cut oats can be made the night before and fridge really well. They have a texture that isn't miserable like rolled oats and can be lightly toasted before cooking to make the oatmeal taste nuttier

If you must go with rolled oats, microwaved plus frozen raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries is top notch

Grow some creativity, i just can't fathom how some people don't know how to cook food.

Oats thread? I could use some help.
1) Where can I get steelcut/pinhead/Irish/whatever the fuck they're called oats in Britian? Every shop I've visited only has rolled or instant.
2) What does Veeky Forums recommend I do to cook my rolled oats? Pic related are my first and second attempts, am I making any obvious mistakes?
3) Total beginner's question, but can you eat oats raw?

>3) Total beginner's question, but can you eat oats raw?
Sure.
In Denmark, rolled oats with milk (optionally, sugar) is a common breakfast item.

Cool, thanks.

Rolled oats with milk and yogurt stored overnight in the fridge has become an increasingly common healthy breakfast for lazy people like myself. I can make a whole weeks worth in 5 minutes and never worry about forgetting to eat.

I think Waitrose will sell those.

Personally, I'd add a little more liquid to it, but I just like porridge.

you consume week-old milk? sounds nasty.

>pic
i'd suggest more liquid and cook for longer. it looks dry and undercooked.

if anything it looks overcooked. i make it with milk and slightly undercook it so that it is still a little runny, like scrambled eggs

>if anything it looks overcooked.
i'm glad you wrote that because i'm the post above yours saying that i think it looks undercooked and i realised that i forgot to add that everybody is different. you kinda made that point there.
i still stand by what i said tho. seems dry.

Yeah, of course.

>i'd suggest more liquid and cook for longer. it looks dry and undercooked.
Are there any suggested ratios of oats to milk? I think the packaging said something like "use 60 grams oats and 180ml milk. Bring to boil and stir for one minute while its boiling, then leave it off the heat for 5 minutes, covered."

>can you eat oats raw?
Of course, rolled oats with honey, almonds and a little almond milk tastes amazing.

I used oats for my entire life as a dessert cooked with milk, sugar and butter. Since it's kinda expensive to get everyday and I have an emotional problem with eating milk and butter on a daily basis but I really like the taste of oats, conditioning myself to eat water oats was very desirable for an optional breakfast (usually I eat pita or just coffee/tea). After many attempts I really got the idea. Water oats is supposed to be very subtle in taste.

First I use fine cut oats I believe it's called quick oats in USA.

>half cup in a pan
>pinch of salt
>1,5 cup of cold water (aka 3 parts of water)
>low heat
>cook until little to no supernatant
>add a spoon of banana jam for sweet

banana jam
>overripe bananas
>mash in puree
>add cinnamon
>add salt
>weight the same amount in sugar
>50/50% banana/sugar in WEIGHT not volume
>mix in the pan, low heat
>let the sugar syrup generated boil for a bit without stirring (~1 minute)

I just eat them with milk for breakfast

>I have an emotional problem with eating milk and butter on a daily basis

?

One cup of Steel cut oats in a zojorishi rice cooker or any rice cooker with a porridge preset. Some overripe banana thrown in. Into the fridge and reheat as needed with a little milk. You've got breakfast for four days at least.

holy fuck, i never thought to make porridge in a slow cooker before, this is a game changer

Once you get your ratio of water to oats down you're laughing. With mine it's about 1 cup steel cut oats to 3 cups water.

I say emotional because a lot of people say processed milk and butter is bad but did I do the research to confirm these claims? No, whatever I still insist to avoid milk and butter.
Theres an economical motive too. I'm not american and I'm still studying, buying milk and butter would increase the price of breakfast and we not even discussing the unnecessary calories here.

Man, half of the pics in this thread just look disgusting. How the fuck do you even manage to ruin oatmeal?

Y'all need some freaking muesli in your lives. Rolled oats. Cold milk. Fresh or dried fruit, raisins, nuts, jams as desired. Eat it cold. You can let it sit over night. Don't fucking cook anything.

Man, I can't even stand looking at that slop some of you actually eat.

The point of cooking is to alter the texture. I like cold oats too, even dry oats but cooking gives the starchy cream to the dish.

>1 minute oats

Already fucked up. Should have bought 5 minute oats.

Agreed.

>Y'all need some freaking muesli in your lives.
Is that even widely known/available in burgerland?
I'm a Euro currently in Cannuckistan, and you hardly find any müsli in the shops. If at all, its some overly sugared processed crap.
So I just switched to oatmeal, because if I dont get the instant ones, its not loaded with crap, as for example all the sponges you can buy, which some retard labelled as "bread"

>Is that even widely known/available in burgerland?

Central Texasfag here. Every supermarket has it. There are many brands ranging from sugary crap to expensive organic free-trade hippie certified stuff.

and you can always make it yourself.

I eat them raw

Just throw some oats into bowl, add milk and a bit of honey

Wew lad that's all you need for a breakfast. Now go out and squat

>How the fuck do you even manage to ruin oatmeal?
Like in your pic, with all that disgusting sugar poured on top.

A handful of dried fruit?

With rolled oats you get the best consistency with a 1:3 ratio, e.g. 10g oats, 30ml water. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes, won't be mushy, won't be tough.

The fuck? Muesli is fucking everywhere in canacuck. Even small-ass supermarket have brandless muesli mixes on top of the usual.

use milk instead of water

>Now go out and squat
Hi Veeky Forums, what's brought you here?

As an OG nigga to the oat game, steel cut oats BTFO of instant.

Buy in bulk and it's cheaper

Make in a rice cooker and the only pain in the ass which was spending an hour watching over the shit disappears

Throw some brown sugar and cinnamon and it's the bee's knees you lil bitch

i laughed irl

just put them in a bowl with milk and microwave for a few minutes, and then add butter.

I usually eyeball it when I make it but I took some measurements today. These are my measurements for steel cut oats, which I usually cook for around 35 minutes. I haven't used rolled oats for a while but I used to cook those for around 10-15 minutes. A lot longer than the 1 minute that your packaging is telling you, plus I've never heard of anyone resting their oats.
Here's how I do my steel cut:

>1/3 metric cup SC oats
>1/3 metric cup milk
>500 ml water
>bring to boil in pot then low simmer for approx 35
>serve in bowl and add more milk like any other breakfast cereal
Things to watch:
>monitor to ensure that milk doesn't form a skin while it cooks or it will boil over
>stir more frequently towards the end to ensure that it doesn't scorch (ie. stick to the bottom of the pot).
A pro tip is to add diced banana in the later stages to cook and caramalize the banana a bit and release the sugars in the banana. Particularly if the banana is a bit under-ripe. I didn't do that with the banana in the pic, btw. Just sayin'.

Remember those measurements are for steel cut, and for rolled oats I'd use the same amount of oats (third of a cup) with the same amount of milk but use less water because it cooks for less time. My best guess would be about 300ml of water.

But, again; that's cooking it my personal tastes and preferences and you may like to have it differently. Plus I'm a neet so you may have less time in the mornings.

Good luck and just fun with it.

oats

Me again third attempt is pic related. I decided this time to simply use enough milk to cover the oats (which apparently was far more than what my packaging recommends, I apparently used about 400ml of milk for two ladle scoops of oats) and I cooked it on a lower heat while otherwise using the method here .

The brown shit came off the bottom of the pan, not too sure what's causing that.

>A pro tip is to add diced banana in the later stages to cook and caramalize the banana a bit and release the sugars in the banana. Particularly if the banana is a bit under-ripe. I didn't do that with the banana in the pic, btw. Just sayin'.
That sounds like fucking genius.

>The brown shit came off the bottom of the pan, not too sure what's causing that.
You scorched your oats. You need to stir it more often to prevent that from happening.

What about the rest? Is it any good?

thats called flavour, user.

kek

Is it a bad sign that I tend to enjoy my raw oats + milk more than porridge?

Here's my formula, OP:

1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp chia
1/4 of a peach or other fruit, diced
pinch cinnamon

Leave overnight in the fridge.
The chia gets all gooey and shit, it's awesome.

>The chia gets all gooey and shit, it's awesome.

>it turns to shit
>it's awesome
u wot m8?