What was eating like in the Great Depression?

What was eating like in the Great Depression?

youtube.com/watch?v=3OPQqH3YlHA

sheep herders would leave the sickly and malformed baby lambs to wander the wild.

my grand grandparents hunted those retarded lambs. the family survived off retarded lamb.

this was utah btw.

Wasn't 2008 the "worst" recession since the 1930's?

I survived on McDonald's almost everyday in 2008 and world of warcraft, good times.

My grandparents raised and butchered rabbits and sold them at their place of work which they were fortunate to have. My Dad told me he can still remember the screaming of the rabbits as they were slaughtered. He said they literally sounded like a feminine human in distress.

My grandpa grew up on a farm in rural Missouri during the Depression. He had to wake up early and hunt squirrel and raccoon and rabbit for the family. He said they ate lots of cheap homemade bread, lots of root veggies...oh god, and he would make his mom's head cheese recipe and make me eat it when I was little.

This kind of insane frugality continued his whole life, even after he made his fortune. He would buy gallons of milk because they were cheaper, then split the gallon up between old orange juice cartons, and then freeze them. That made for pale orange and sour tasting milk with crunchy chunks of ice. He also would buy those industrial size bags of cereal (whatever was cheapest), then mix it all in a bucket, partition it out between boxes, and then freeze them. This made for a nasty combo of Raisin Bran, Lucky Charms, and Fruity Pebbles, all dried out and mushy with that musty taste of freezer burn.

I guess the Depression fucked people up pretty good.

My dad told me the first time he went hunting, he grazed a rabbit and it screamed like a person. Never went hunting again.

My grandparents who were both mid-twenties in the Depression, were crazy frugal.
I am really glad my grandmother taught me a lot of tips and tricks for pinching pennies: they have served me well.

>Depression cooking
Legit feeling depressed watching it

>>He would buy gallons of milk because they were cheaper

>not buying gallons of milk anyways because milk is delicious

punch ur grandpa in the mouth for me for being a pucci that can't drink a gallon of milk #GOMAD

My great aunt was a hoarder and still stored rain water until she turned 100.

Despite owning a large home and a small apartment complex (about 16 units), the house was packed till she couldn't get inside hardly, then she lived in and packed one unit after another.
So she had 4 of them plus her large home full of worthless shit, like old phone books and other nonsense.

And a couple of garages.

Literally flyover food.

My grandmother would make and drink what she called "clabber milk," essentially soured milk that went beyond sour and coagulated into a thick kind of mass. I tried it once being an adventurous kid, spit it out and gagged, and got a severe tongue lashing for wastefulness.

screaming? We're they slicing their necks with dull knives?

I have no idea as I wasn't there. My Dad told me the story and I don't think he was bullshitting. I didn't ask for the details, it was already enough. And I've hunted, butchered and eaten rabbits.

Some cheeky neighbour cunt comes over to steal this old cunt's vegetables

people are just shit

>peeling potatoes
sin, keep the skin on

>potatoes and onions sautéed in a pan with some form of sausage or bacon
I've been making this for years, originally improvised the recipe as a hashbrown for Sunday breakfast.

don't peel your potatoes

My grandma used to kill rabits
>yay childhood ruined
Fuckers are though as hell, but it was a 70 year old woman hitting them in the head with a hammer and 12 old me holding it so maybe it was not the most efficient way
She hammered them until they where out, but usually they woke up when their neck was sliced
I wouldn't call the screaming human its really high pitched but it was quite loud and fucked up
Sorry about bad english

Sounds like you were really there. I'm glad I just heard the story from my dad and didn't have to experience it.

Seems like not bad english, just scottish.

good god why

is that even safe

I wasn't alive during the great depression but my grandpa would tell me horror stories about how he and his wife's family were reduced to eating garbage food like two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun.
Depression food is horrible!

I don't know about safety, but she never got sick. She really just refused to throw food away.

fuck that was comfy as shit

any dead limbs from the diabeetus?

every meal is depression meal for me

Every second of my life is depression meal

he sounds really annoying

Sounds more like a child.

I once caught my cat running after a rabbit so I'm runnign after them trying to save it but I kept getting distracted by the sound of a crying baby. Took me a while to realize it was the rabbit

whu-whaaa whu-whu-whaaa. So creepy

>tfw my grandma is 93 and half dead with next to no mobility anymore

my grandpa was a fucking millionaire insurance salesmen but living thought the depression made him do shit like reuse napkins after they fell on the ground and wear underwear until they were ripped to shreds

Taste good though. Not too hard to butcher too.

A shame that his headcheese recipe was awful. Headcheese is great.

All of my grandparents died before I was old enough to listen/care to any good stories from them. Even now out of my Mom and her 11 brothers and sisters they're all dead except two uncles. Both Grandfathers died of heart attacks. Both Grandmas had both legs cut off from diabetes and later died from related stuff. I wish I could have gotten some cool stories from their younger days.

>feminine human in distress
with or without feminine benis? I need to know because reasons.

Are you like 40?

>Start to watch video
>Open channel
>That woman died three years ago

40 what? Killograms? Stone? Centimeters? Pounds?

My grandfather lost his job at the start of the Depression. He had a wife and six kids to feed. When he got a job as a milkman he kept it until his retirement. He was a meat and potatoes guy who smoked two packs a day. He died a year before I was born. My grandmother didn't die until I was seven, so I got a taste of her cooking, which was very meat and potatoes. All roasts and stwes with a small by today's standards serving of meat and potatoes taking up the rest of the real estate on the plate. Instead of a vegetable dish there would be gravy. Gravy was very important in her cooking.

sounds depressing af

It was the Depression, after all. I plan on reading the book Square Meal - a Culinary History of the Great Depression by Ziegelman and Coe. This thread just reminded me I have to pick up a copy.

She kept cooking like that forevertime after though

it triggers me when Clara dumps oil in a cold pan and starts frying

>it triggers me
Faggot.

Obligatory post

>"The Fist of God Special"

Because her husband and two of her sons were "meat and potatoes guys". My mother explained to me that vegetables weren't available fresh out of season back then. Canned was what people ate, and quite a few people simply weren't fans of canned vegetables. My mother grew up thinking she didn't like many vegetables at all until frozen food came in and she got to try non-canned versions of them. My grandmother was an old woman by the time fresh vegetables started becoming available year round. She wasn't in a position to learn to cook a whole bunch of unfamiliar things by then.

That said, my grandmother's pot roast was off the chain, as was her turkey noodle soup (made from holiday leftovers, including gravy). Meat and potatoes cooking can be very good, just not very exciting to our modern tastes.

>click on her channel page
>she died in 2013

fuck...

My grandpa was just a kid during the middle of the depression but he talked about how fucked up his father was because of it. They were super lucky and kept their store open, but he said they lived on corn and potatoes for a long time.

Son of a bitch LOVED corn on the cobb, and so do I now. Saved the man's life

My grandma put me to bed one night by telling me about how when she was a little girl she would lay awake at night after the family cat gave birth, which was practically every year, and would hear her dad stuffing all the kittens into a sack, and how they'd all screech loudly before they became completely silent as he held them underwater in a bucket to drown so they didn't starve to death.

Tough world, tough people back then.

this channels fucking depressing

great depression food sucked dick

>Sweet dreams, dearie!

My wife's Great Aunt did the same thing. Sentimentality for cute animals is not a luxury poor people can afford during hard times.

I heard during the Wiemar Republic in Germany they called cats "roof rabbits" because if you caught one you had a meal.

yep sounds serbian

i wouldn't mind it if there was another depression myself, my big fat belly could stand a few years of eating nothing but beans and water (and i'll brew up some of the beans into sum bean votka and get drunk as hell on occasion ok)

Clarice please.

i heard stories of my great grandma doing this back in the 30's and 40's but even back then ppl thought it was gross and few would drink it except for her lmao

With a side of fava beans.

Kittens dont scream loudly. They have little whispered kitten meows for the first couple days before the achieve normal but still quiet kitten meows.

If you arent in the same room you wont even hear when your brother steps on one breaking its leg then you come in after he tells you and you walk outside with it to fling it in the sea

>grandma grew up during British rationing in ww2
>never got to eat much
>mostly remembered eating lamb's brain on some toast, lots of tripe, ox tongue
>christmas present every year was an orange
>absolutely loved buying me tons of food and drinks and seeing me have lots to eat while I grew up
>got angry with my mum when she complained to my grandma about feeding me too much sugar

anyone else have grandparents who overfed them because when they were kids they ate so little?

>Both Grandmas had both legs cut off from diabetes and later died from related stuff.

i dunno why but i laughed at this

fucking worthless ass old people

>hurr guess i'll just sit around until i lose all circulation in my legs

My grandpa told me he would go to school with a mustard sandwich and some vegetable peelings and his dinner was often whatever he could find in the garbage bin behind the school

my parents grew up poor and are of course now obese so every person is "skin and bones" to them

me weighing 220lb at 5'9 in high school because the house was full of nothing but junk food? skin and bones

thanks for the crippling lifelong soda addiction mom n dad

Yeah, but in my case it was my grandma who went through the Japanese occupation of Japan, followed by Mao's communists taking over and inadvertently starving half the country with their idiotic public management schemes.

Oh fuck, I meant occupation of China. Fuck.

everyone on Veeky Forums noticed your mistake and laughed

No hate speech pls

The cat of shame stole your bread. You may never bake again.

During the German occupation of Norway in WW2 my gran would eat pancakes fried in rancid herring oil. It was a 'treat'.

Reminds me of my grandma :_(

just change the wording to "fermented herring oil" instead of rancid and you can put that on a hipster cafe's menu

>Genocide
>Gaming

Yes I smell Kosovo already.

That looks legit good. I'd much rather eat that than the processed garbage poor fat people love these days.

Uncommon is what it was like.

Christ, everything you named meat wise is incredibly high-end hipster food in amerifat land.

Hey my grandma had her legs cut off because of that too. She would try to still beat us with a wooden spoon but we would just walk up two stairs and she couldn't do shit.

We also had to handcuff the fridge at night because she'd go nuts with how much sugar she would get into. It was unusual for her to be sitting in the hallway yelling at us to 'cut down all these goddamn trees'.

>What was eating like in the Great Depression?

That's the same thing though

I certainly hope you never get old.

That man certainly knows how to enjoy an off-topic mango. Unusual in the Belgian.

I'm thankful my grandparents didn't hoard, they didn't have much to eat back then but they told me how being hungry and poor breaks something in many people. They see pile of things, any old thing, and they want it because it's something, even if it's trash and thier parents never kept anything they couldn't immediately sell to the recyclers or scrapper because it would be useless junk otherwise. I actually saw my grandpa get into a fistfight with an old friend because the friend couldn't let go of any scrap of iron or bit of machinery he had no ability or energy to fix despite owning a couple very successful diesel garages.

> Grandpa lived in the Great Depression
> has an entire farm
> hunts small vermin for food

Is there some reason he couldn't use his fucking farm to make some food?

My definition of poor does not include living in a large house on a plot of land designated for growing food and keeping animals

They were using their farm produce to pay for basic necessities that can only be purchased and probably paying off a mortgage (yes, they had those too, back then). The poster's grandfather was probably just a small boy whose job was to supplement the food, while older kids were in the field.

There wasn't much of a childhood for rural kids during the depression.

Government stimulus masked the 2008 depression and made it seem as though it was just a recession. Some people got hit hard but for the common man, y'all recovered pretty well by the time the stimulus wore off and so people got FUCKED by the '08 depression, but it wasn't as widespread as the '30's.

>the creatures wew harmless, but ugly
>and so he would destroy them for us
Why did I laugh?

Anyway, is Depression cooking better or worse than wartime rationing?

Are you kidding? If the US had a catastrophe anywhere near the severity of the Great Depression or WWII, the spoiled milktoast amerifag of today would not have the capacity to survive, let alone triumph. We'd roll over and play dead and hope that was enough to receive a treat.

>anyone else have grandparents who overfed them because when they were kids they ate so little?
Not really, but my grandmother always made sure that I hat a lot to eat all the time, whenever I visited her.
Also, whenever she was seing me (or my mum, for that matter), she would always complain that we are only skin and bones, and that we should eat more.
>She had to flee from the - now polish - eastern parts of Germany at the end of the war, and the times before they finally had to go where not easy either
>Stop to find something to eat, but get raped and shot by the russians, because you are German, or the same, but by the germans, because you are a coward
>Or simply keep "running" and eat when the war is over…

And nowadays, the availability of cheap fast food is enough to wreck peoples relationship with food… Back in the days, you needed a war or depression for that.

China would probably send aid to keep their biggest market for plastic rubbish alive

>milktoast
>not milquetoast

For all intensive proposes it means the same thing.

>all intensive purposes

Pseuds like you are a diamond dozen

I guess I hole heartedly agree

I dunno, I think there's something really interesting about someone's cuisine being shaped by the experiences they lived through

Same with my grandma who grew up in WW2 USSR