Minors

Im going to start Mechanical Engineerring this September, and i thought i would ask /b/ what is a good Minor to have in your pocket by the time your done.

NOTE: it must be a combination of usefulness and easiness.

What should i Minor in ?

What have you minored in and Majored in ?

Inb4 summerfag bullshit: Request is empty as fuck and useless

In your case, it wouldn't be to bad to minor in physics or the kind of mathematics in your field.

I majored in Microbiology and Biochemistry, and I was able to double minor in chemical engineering and Spanish. The reason I minored in Spanish is because I passed the AP Spanish exam with a 4, and they allowed me to apply for a minor. Had to take like a semester long speaking class and I essentially got a free minor.

Obligatory:
English, music, computer science, and math in order of best to shit.

Whatever applies most to your field of study desu
A mechanical engineer could feasibly work with a minor in CS or a useful foreign language like mandarin, arabic, spanish or french as a "certificate of fluency"

i know English, Arabic, and French if that helps...

but i slightly fear programming, so ya.

/adv/ is shit for academic advice

LGBT Studies

Algerian detected

topkek

no actually i was born and raised in Quebec Canada, but my parents are lebanese

oh and i forgot to add im not a mussie nor are my parents

Literally doesn't matter. Mathematics minor is piss easy to get and recruiters know this. Doesn't mean anything. If you are gunning for a particular job (Say in a foreign country), then having that language minor would help.

do CS! It's not to hard for an engineer and relevant, really useful, and many engineering firms get excited if you can also program!

im hoping to get a masters later in aerospace eng.

im really into psyc. and philo ... they have always interested me and i was always good in them. (good as in always able to debunk and find flaws in types of world views and philosophies ... impressing my professors )

but what would you think would be more practical than a language

computer science ?

> by the time your done
> your done

English, friend. Minor in English.

sory ment too said you are. mine bad ,

>90% = my English avg.

ME here. I thought about picking up a minor but ultimately decided against it. Nanotech is a good choice desu senpai. CS/SE are also good. Math/Chemistry would be chill i guess. Of course you could always pick up a business minor

Two rules:
1) For homework go to /wsr/
2) For advice go to /adv/.
It does not matter if you like neither.

>getting a minor as an engineer

Lol. Just take more engineering classes.

which one would you recommend

wait what?

he's saying you should invest the time needed for a minor in more engineering classes.

I'd go for AS in business OP.

Apostates are punished with death, in your parents' land.

>i thought i

fuck off

Anything that has to do with design.

>Apostates
ya lebanon isnt africa or ISIS land...
its pretty diverse and we got along after our civil war...

its a fine country

> Mechanical Engineering
> What minor

What the fuck? This isn't feminist dance therapy, Engineers get no tangible benefit from minors.

what do you mean by tangible benefits for minors

what did you get a degree in ?

German, Chinese, Japanese would be alright languages me thinks

I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Go join your school's FSAE team or some other SAE international competition team if you want something to be different through. A minor means absolutely nothing in Engineering.

Chem E here.
minored in applied math because it was the easiest major to get with my courses

im contemplating a language
since im trilingual and would like to speak either jap,russ,germ, or mandirin

but how much will i learn... is it practical to help you find a job later...

did it help ? or boost your CV

Minors are fucking stupid. They don't give you enough breadth to be meaningful. Just take courses you enjoy and do what college is supposed to be. This is the only time in your life (for most) where learning whatever the fuck you want is basically your job.

advice threads don't belong on Veeky Forums - see the sticky

>What should i Minor in ?
Maybe Physics or Math.

>What have you minored in and Majored in ?
Anthropology with a minor in Archaeology. The minor is for the giggles and like 80% of the courses cross over so it's no big whoop.

Honestly minors, aside from foreign languages are mostly for the pure shits and giggles.

Do something about it, you punk bitch.

>Learn whatever the fuck you want
>minors are stupid
Uh... user, I think you missed the point of minors.

Reality says something different, friend.

I'm an EE 2nd year undergrad and I just finished my CS minor and it definitely gives you a more comprehensive overview of the systems you're working with. Also software engineering internships pay well and sound good to all employers

>What should i Minor in ?
Whatever you want to. Either minor in something you think will help aid your desired career path (cs, math, etc.) or minor in something you like, whatever that may be.

>What have you minored in and Majored in ?
I am an Aerospace Engineering major and I minor in Music.

Agree with this user. Even if you decide to do a minor, now's not the time to be thinking about it. You might not even be in engineering a year from now, and I don't mean that in a hostile way. Just keep an open mind.

Music and English? Lol kys

+1

No degree in mecheng is "major", everything is minor

Minors are worthless. Take only classes you want to take (which are probably 2-3) in another major and devote more time to things other than classes like clubs, research, internships, whatever.

The only thing more useless than a minor is a Double Major. Only worth doing if you wind up accidentally taking all the classes for it because you want to/need to.