/tea/ thread

Old one is on autosage!

What are you drinking? what are you waiting for? anything new that you discovered?

Be sure to check our pastebin for more info
pastebin.com/EnUxQGdK

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Fruit-Tea-Infusion-Pitcher-Beverage/dp/B015DS5R74/
amazon.com/Takeya-Flash-Chill®-Quarts-Blueberry/dp/B0095ZBJSS/
secure.uptontea.com/store/catalog.asp?begin=0&categoryID=249
adagio.com/masters/index.html
chinalifeweb.com/guides/the-tea-brewing-chart/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a rooibos from the local food co-op with a touch of honey. quite honestly one of my favorite teas ever and also happens to be super cheap at $13/lb

I discovered that a wholesome drink of dog piss is quite relaxing, and easy to obtain.

what

dont hate

Keep it alive boys

Tea leaves in Taiwan

Lots

damn son

I've never had tea before. I like flavored waters, so I figure I might like weak teas. What should a beginner get? I'm not a huge fan of coffee.

>flavored water
what

You've never seen flavored water before? It's basically just water with (usually fruit) flavor added. It's usually pretty weak.

fuck outta here degenerate

>drinking diabetuus is degenerate
the fuck

Oolong tea + gatorade. Enough said.

Still waiting for my Gong Fu set so I will probably save my teas for it. I'll drink Matcha in the meanwhile. Maybe a dark roasted Oolong later if I really need to. I probably will.

bump

I tried a puerh sample, and I think the people that claim to like it are either suffering from Stockholm syndrome due to exposure in their culture, or chinkaboo memers on the internet.

Good post
Now kill yourself

You're going to judge a whole range of puer of different types and ages from one sample?

Since I wouldn't buy any, and it's not likely that anyone will ever serve it to me, I guess so. It was bad enough to kill my curiosity.

I hear you man. One time I had a really cheap shitty beer so now I think all beer sucks because I'm a complete fucking moron.

Enjoy your half-rotten leaves faggot.

Currently drinking some shiraore from Yuuki-cha, it's the first tea I've ordered online and I don't think I'm going to buy much loose leaf in stores anymore.

The only faggot here is you.

oolong I assume, based on the place/leaf size

there's a huge difference between the good stuff and the 'puehr' that is sold in asian grocery stores, you just had a shit tier ripe with the fish/basement taste still on it

Got a gift of some Shincha off of Ocha&co from a family member.
Bretty fucking great green tea senpai, would reccomend if you're willing to wait for a shipment from nipponland

dont you have tendies to eat?

I just started. Ordered a black, oolong, green, white, and pu-erh from YS. Loving it so far, using a gaiwan, experimenting with steeping times and temperatures, etc.

So scared of trying the pu-erh for the first time.

I drink green tea all day, a minimal of 6 cups a day. Even though it does not have a lot of caffeine, it is still enough to make it difficult to fall asleep quickly. So I started adding a cup of cherry tea to drink right before bed...and not only did it help me get to sleep faster, I had some of the most deep, uninterrupted peaceful sleep I've had in a long time.

Tieguanyin. An oolong and green hybrid. I like to 'wash' the leaves with a bit of boiling water first and immediately dump it (you can use this to 'wash' your cup too) before steeping for the first time.

Does anyone here actually get tea drunk regularly? What is it like and what kind of tea are you drinking?

Chrysanthemum user here. I'm glad people defended it's flavor; I was ready to shelf the stuff indefinitely, but I gave it another try and discovered I had fucked it up as usual. It's a very pleasant sweetness and up there among my favorite tisanes.

never going back my negro

>I've never had tea before
How does this occur

going to start cold brewing

How's this?

amazon.com/Fruit-Tea-Infusion-Pitcher-Beverage/dp/B015DS5R74/

whats a good place to start with green tea? i want something flavorful enough that i wont be tempted to put sweeteners or anything in it, a big issue that i have with tea is that it always seems to smell better than it tastes.

i'm trying to drink less coffee, so please help

genmaicha or longjing. The former is sencha mixed with brown rice and is quite popular, and the latter is perhaps the most widely known and consumed Chinese green. Remember not to scald the leaves.

I like the Takeya ones personally.

not really interested in flash chilling

could I do a regular 8 hour cold brew with this?

amazon.com/Takeya-Flash-Chill®-Quarts-Blueberry/dp/B0095ZBJSS/

Definitely, and the infuser in that one is massive so your leaves will have plenty of room to expand and float around.

I bought bigelow green tea, decaf as well. Did I do bad? How should I prepare it? 2 minute only and then squeeze? Pls help

>teabags
kys

I am ordering the leaves one soon, but where should I go to? Aliexpress? What tea set do I use?

i have that same gaiwan! i don't have the cups though now i'm jealous

sage tea is pretty good, rec me tea

If I like the Trader Joe's Irish breakfast tea they have, is there a better version of Irish breakfast I can upgrade to?

It's pretty good, I just want to know how deep this hole goes.

Do you want Chinese or Japanese?

secure.uptontea.com/store/catalog.asp?begin=0&categoryID=249

Check out Upton's blends.

I tried black tea today and its like a less bitter, weaker coffee. I quite enjoyed it.

Are there any other coffee-like teas?

Hojicha is roasted green tea, you may enjoy it and it's easy to brew with just boiling water.

Yeah, I think I'm going to treat myself and give these guys a shot. Any recs for a green tea while I'm there? Something with a nutty flavor?

Try genmaicha, I think you'll be pleased with it.

Alright random user, I'm trusting you on this one.
I've been itching for some good tea after buying a lot of bad boxes of stuff recently.

Tonight seems like a good night to just go for it, get myself something new.

It's got a nice nutty flavour because of the brown rice that's a part of it, it's also very good served cold.

Brewing-wise I normally always start off with Den's Tea's suggestions and then adjust however I see fit.

Yeah. I've been drinking random bagged jenk that looks interesting at the store and is awful.
It's time for me to at least be as discerning as what coffee I drink.

No more crap, spend the extra $4 or whatever to get something good.

That's a good way to look at it, and you're going to notice a big difference going from bags to loose leaf, t's oftentimes not even that bad price-wise since you can re-steep the leaves multiple times

How is black tea anything like coffee? Get the fuck out of Veeky Forums

You should NOT use boiling water for any green tea. Start with 75 degrees for Genmaicha.

Good to know, thanks!

The other one I got was the River Shannon Breakfast Blend (irish breakfast), and the site says boiling is good. That correct? I didn't even know temperature mattered that much, but I guess it affects the steeping.

Not the user you're replying to, but I had one once that was kind of coffee-ish as well.
It was very strong, malty and rich. If it wasn't so malty, it could've probably passed as a horribly brewed coffee.

Mugicha (barley tea) is very coffeelike because it's roasted. It's good hot or cold too. No caffeine of course.

Eh, boiling is fine for hojicha, for genmaicha it's been awhile so I can't say for sure, but isn't it robust enough to handle it?

>and the site says boiling is good. That correct?
Yep, black tea takes boiling water.

is anything from this website worth the money? adagio.com/masters/index.html

No way, Genmaicha is just Sencha with toasted rice. Sencha is easily scorched.

Black/red tea is actually best at 85-95 degrees depending on the size of the leaves. The bigger the leaf the higher the temperature (buds and the top leaves are smaller). Boiling water is basically only suited for Oolongs (which have large leaves). Pu-erhs can also handle it but 95 degrees is better.

chinalifeweb.com/guides/the-tea-brewing-chart/
This is a good chart. Start with these parameters.

I'm a big coffee drinker and I just want to get some tea to add some variety in my diet.

Problem is I think Green Tea is gross, White I found to be pleasant but rather boring. Haven't tried much else.

So what's a good tea for a Coffee Drinker. I want earthy, nuttiness so Genmaicha sounds appealing.

Pu-erh

Watch out for the iron levels in your blood green tea washes a huge chunk of it away I had iron shortage and the doctor didn't understand why until he saw that I consumed over a liter of green tea a day

It's a good idea to incorporate some iron rich organ meats into your diet if you drink a lot of green tea. Chicken hearts are pretty good. Liver pate as well.

i don't understand this

Good post

Wuyi rock Oolongs also have a great nutty flavor.

Sort of. Overall their tea is slightly overpriced, especially for the Chinese stuff. Check out Yunnan Sourcing for better quality/price Chinese teas. Adagio teas are good though.

I've never heard of this, is it just green tea? Also source? I eat a ton of meat and vegetables cooked in a carbon steel pan which adds more iron. Also vitamins, so I'm fine it just seems bizarre that tea would specifically wash out iron.

Ive never heard of this before, I'll check it out. But user that was asking...
This is probably the most orthodox brewing guide and might be a good place for starters without knowing anything about leaf size etc.

It doesn't "wash out" iron. It makes iron absorption harder. Just google green tea iron absorption and pick your source.

You can see on the tea if it's small leaves or large leaves but generally there's a method to it. For instance Oolongs are always large leaves since Oolongs are always made with the third and fourth leaves and so on. That's what Oolongs are. Greens are almost always made out of the top leaves. It's different leaves for different teas, not that you need to measure the leaf so you'll know exactly how large it is but which leaf is used of the plant. I hope I make sense to you.

Just finished my morning pot of golden-tipped Assam. Every morning, no exceptions. I don't feel right without it.
Later, I'll have some Chai, and this afternoon, I'll switch to Sencha, and then this evening, I'll have Sleepytime tea to relax.
I have too much tea, though. I need use up what I have before I buy anymore. I have a large tin of really exquisite Earl Grey that I've barely touched, and I haven't even opened the Dragon Pearl tea I bought 2 weeks ago.
>mfw tea hoarding

I keep it in order by earing edam
Since I try to eat less meat
But some chicken liver with onions is indeed delicious aswell

what's your good earl grey?
I know a teafag who really likes the stuff so I'd like to send some to him

cool photos bro

It isn't just green tea. Black tea is worse. The tannins affect iron absorption.

Does anyone make it Russian style with concentrated tea and hot water?

ripe (cooked) puer

just burning it then?

Having some earl grey and some crepes rn, watching the hockey game... Life's good, Veeky Forums

My Chinese roommate gave me some tea in a little gold vacuum-sealed packet. She said it's loose leaf green tea. The packet has no English writing on it except the words "Savoring Tea" on the back.

How should I brew it?

What brewing utensils do you have at your disposal? 80 C water is a safe bet for most greens, and you could always just ask your roommate how to brew it.

She said she wasn't sure and that she had always just dumped it in a cup and microwaved it for a minute.

I'm extremely new to tea brewing. I have an electric kettle, a ceramic teapot, and a cast iron teapot. The electric kettle doesn't have a temperature gauge but I have thermometers.

Okay, I'm a little inexperienced with the teapot, but I would put around 1 tablespoon per 6 ounces of water, and steep it at 80 C water for a minute.

post a photo of the tea or the package

Constant Comment a best

How the fuck i am supposed to break a puerh toucha?

They make little picks for the purpose, but any sharp pointy object will work.

I'll bump the thread by saying that light Oolongs are probably my least favourite of any tea. Dark Oolongs are one of my favourite types tho.

What can I put into Earl Grey to make it taste less bitter?

in before sugar.

You can steep it for less time, or add honey.