When did you fall out of love with mathematics?

When did you fall out of love with mathematics?

When I met mathematicians.

When public education beat it out of me. I've since fallen back in love with it.

When I was introduced to the concept of imaginary numbers.

I know this is bait but imaginary numbers were the best thing I learned in high school.

Complex analysis sucks.

When I learned about aleph numbers. Before that I only like liked mathematics.

What? Why?

When I started arithmetic geometry in senior high school.

Because it's unintuitive as fuck, and basically it has no applications.

EE

I havent, but im only at diffeq and i think thats as far as pure math will go, maybe linear algebra

>unintuitive?
how?
>no applications?
how?
Can you at least give some examples for your claimed hate for it so that a meaningful discussion can be had?
Also, you did vector analysis before it right?

When I became a PhD student in it. Sucks the life out of you.

Residue theorem, argument principle, Rouche's theorem, the geometry of Riemann surfaces -- I don't see where that shit comes from or how to apply it. Call me a brainlet, but I'm sure you can't explain it either.

This

Can you tell me how much % of math is applicable to real world and how much is just theorists bullshit?

I can. I can understand why at first glance it may seem weird or plucked from thin air, but did you bother to learn the proofs for these things?
Learn, not memorise for the exam.
If you did, then as usual, the end result becomes much less mystical.

82% according to stochastic measurands.

Pure math isn't bullshit. Do you think when I study arithmetic geometry that I'm studying New Atheism or Buddhism? No. Just because there's no known practical use of a quasi-algebraically closed field doesn't mean it's bullshit. Maybe in a couple decades its application can be found in a charged plasma shield to protect spacecraft in interstellar travel. What do you think Lang would do if you said all his work is BS? He'd F you the right up, my son. Think before you speak.

When I got a C in calc 2
:(

When I got a job as a DB admin and realized no one else understands what I studied

When my wife's son called me a nerd.

>implying

b8

brainlet

>Ph.D. in Math
>any job I want
>$300k starting

>Taking care of other people's children

this.

this

>linear algebra
>not pure