I'm making chicken fried steak for dinner tomorrow

I'm making chicken fried steak for dinner tomorrow.

What's your opinion on chicken fried steak? how do you like yours?

bretty gud, I dont think I have ever had it for dinner, only breakfast

there was this restaurant (closed down unfortunately, rip Enzo's) who served chicken fried steak, french fries, gravy, and melted cheese on a french roll. you could feel it killing your arteries, but it's super good.

still the best chicken fries steak meal i've ever had.

Ive only ever had it in frozen tv dinners.
That said, it is consistently the best kind of meal tv dinners offer

There used to be a place here in town where you could get a good chicken fried steak, 3 sides, and a roll for $9.99. The steak wasn't particularly thick, but it was big enough that it needed it's own plate, and if you weren't an obese mess or an asian hotdog eating champion you could get two meals out of it.

I miss you Stone Canyon Cafe, real sugar Dr. Pepper and Angus beef used for all the beef dishes, even hot dogs.

I fucking love chicken fried steak. When I make it myself I just have it with mashed potatoes, but I also like to buy frozen prepared patties and use them in sandwiches.

if you think white gravy is good on a chicken fried steak try out sausage gravy, double the heart attack but worth it

It has the potential to be good, but that cubed steak you buy at the market is usually a very tough, flavorless, stringy piece of shitty meat. An attempt was made to tenderize it by fucking it up with a ribbed hammer, but truth is, that's still a cheap, undesirable and shitty cut of beef that's going to be quite awful. Step up your game and stop using cheap cuts and it might be good. But chances are you already bought "cube steak" which is the worst possible grade of round simply smashed with a machine to make it "tender".
You tell me. What cut of beef did you buy, and what grade? Without that information, your post is completely fucking useless.

>Murricans
That shit is on the same level as burgers here, I could get one pretty much anywere

Isn't this just schnitzel?

Cube steak isn't mashed, it's perforated.

Pretty much, though it's usually done with beef rather than veal

I did not grow up in Texas, so the idea of a cheap steak breaded and cooked until grey then served with white gravy holds absolutely zero appeal to me. But I had a buddy from TX who used to hit a Dominican joint near me on a regular basis because they did a beef cutlet that was similar enough to be something like a taste of home for him.

Yes, and thats because it originates largely in Texas, where a ton of Germans settled. Also why sausage is a key bbq staple there.

I sense anger

Not just people of German origin, but people of German origin in a cowboy culture, which is why it's beef instead of the more traditional pork.

Angry because the quality of the dish depends on the quality of the meat. And its typically made with low quality meat thats stringy, tough, and not marbled at all. Poking a thousand holes into a crappy grade of top round isn't going to make the stringy gristle go away. The rest is just seasoned breading.
Its easy, buy good meat and have a good meal. The pre-packaged cube steaks are shitty meat that's been marked up a LOT just because its been cubed. You will have to buy a better quality steak and then ask the butcher to cube it for you while you wait. If this is beyond their capability, then you need to go to a better store.

>cube it for you

Not really. Just buy a tenderizing mallet and pound it out yourself.

I know it's typically made with either cube steak or ground beef. If you're going the ground beef route try to get 85% or 90% lean, otherwise it's just going to be dripping grease once you break the crust. It's good though, very americana diner food

Make sure it's proper cream gravy and not just Bechamel.

I love chicken-fried steak but 8/10 places that serve it use pre-made steaks and just re-heat them on the griddle before plating them up with some tasteless "gravy".

The only way to eat this is with the gravy on the side. It is a sin to smother a perfectly crispy chicken fried steak and let it get all soggy.

Also. I hate when places call it country fried steak. It's the same god damn thing. Let's just stick to one name why don't we.

>Let's just stick to one name why don't we.

Well, we already changed the name from "schnitzel" to "chicken fried steak", so why not change it again?

I'm talking about USA not Germany.

If you want to get into it, it's also called Milanesa in Latin American countries.

Well sure. Who do you think made it first in the US if not immigrants from Germany?

I did grow up in Texas, and in my (what was then) small hometown, the best chicken fried steak was made from boneless ribeye and was quickly fried to have a crisp crust and a medium rare interior, served with a bacon based cream gravy.
I feel kind of sad for you that you think all chicken fried steak is pounded round steak fried till well done. Sure, some places do it cheaply like that, but chicken fried steak is a point of pride for a lot of people, since it's a regional dish, so you can find glorious, juicy, crispy, wonderful chicken fried steak just as often. And, if the gravy is made right, it's more of a dark cream / tan color, not white, with lots of cracked pepper.

Country fried steak is the better name, many restaurants use this because stupid customers get really confused ordering something with chicken in the name and then getting beef.