Vim

Emacs

spacemacs

TeXmaker

Word with LaTeX export plugin

second

Emacs with evil

overleaf masterrace

I usually use kate/kile/emacs in *nix. They are probably not the best. But they do get the job I need done.

For those new to latex I recommend Gummi. If you already use emacs then auctex. If you use KDE or windows TexStudio. If you use GNOME then LaTeXila

TexStudio
everything ist just great and the inbuild pdf-viewer works out of the box

I always create my LaTeX by writing it in Word, exporting to HTML and converting that to LaTeX which I then create a PDF out of.

texmaker

Overleaf

This
b8

I use it and I like it, being able to go from the pdf to the line in the tex file is great.

lyx

jk

Friends don't let friends be autistic

I always thought Vim vs Emacs was an internet only thing until I saw it happen in real life near me.

I go with emacs with vim commands,
it is like a emacs/vim hybrid. Emacs just has so much more plugins.

Arguing between the two is for children, but they are useful and vim is more functional "out-of-the-box" in my opinion (not that it's sane without some plugins). I avoided them for a long ass time thinking similarly, but vim probably doubled my productivity purely from learning basics of modal navigation.

I find overcustomization to be a problem. I'd like to have minimal setup from scratch to get a usable environment with all of the tools I need. So more plugins isn't necessarily a good thing to me.

I've only ever used Texworks.
It's finicky to learn the basics but once you do you can really do anything.

Is there such a thing as a visual tex editor, where you build what you want the pdf to be using drag and drop or some shit, then the program writes the tex code, so you dont have to fuck with floats and subfigures?

The internet [math]is[/math] real life!

sublimetext

Sublime text with LaTeXTools and Skim for viewing the generated pdfs

notepad++

I like using vim for actual programming, but vim kinda sucks for writing prose. The way it displays long lines that are wrapped multiple times causes inconsistent behavior between scrolling up and down and can result in huge unnecessary chunks of whitspace in your editor view.

>using a WYSIWYG editor for a WYSIWYM typesetter
it's almost like people don't actually know the benefits of the system they're using and would be better off using Word

My man, that was exactly my suggestion. I especially like Sublime because it can be made to look fucking gorgeous while still being very functional.

how exactly are the editors mentioned a wysiwyg editor?

Damn, that looks noice.

I want.