Mfw 95% of the idiots talking about this shit have no clue that mars has 1/3 earth gravity

>mfw 95% of the idiots talking about this shit have no clue that mars has 1/3 earth gravity

how the fuck does he plan to deal with this for his "colonists"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag
jdavis.tv/jd_animation_sub_motion_aiaa.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

""""gravity""""

Maybe you retards will find Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy while you're in Mars too

lifting

>1/3 earth gravity
>actually complaining about it

Can you even imagine all the shit you can do with 1/3 gravity?!? I'll give you a hint, pic realted

Good thing that we numerically understand gravity and can adjust for it in literally anything we plan to do.

I mean, this shit is high school physics. Why don't you know this?

I think OP is referring to the health risks, though I don't think they will be that severe. With the bulk of the suits and tools colonists will inevitably carry, I think it will be relatively easy to compensate.

Don't see the problem

im talking about childhood development... not fully grown men jumping around like superman and throwing shit thousands of feet for fun

are we going to put pregnant mothers in centrifuges for 9 months and then have the kid in the centrifuge until he/she is fully developed?

its like im speaking with literal retards right now

>its like im speaking with literal retards right now

That's what you get when you explain your point with a vague single sentence that could be interpreted in a myriad of ways.

I would understand your concerns regarding the health risks of living on a planet with 1/3 of earths gravity. Otherwise there are no issues with having 1/3 the earths gravity. However referring to the health issues, all the colonists would only exit in space suits which protect the internal organs from the outside gravity. Also the biospheres the colonists are depressurized and protect the colonists from the outside forces.

Also the biospheres the colonists are living in, are depressurized*

I think what OP is concerned about is how the lower gravity can affect humans. In fact, it can create problems with circulation (lower blood pressure or higher heart workload), bones and muscles (lower weight -> bone resorption and atrophy).
We've seen this kind of problems multiple times on astronauts, but it's not that bad since they only stay in space for a little while; a colony is another thing. Also, we have no idea how it can affect humans in developing age.

calm down dumbo

if gravity is 1/3 does that mean you can make sky scrapers 3 times taller? that's almost a space elevator

>all the colonists would only exit in space suits which protect the internal organs from the outside gravity

If this is bait, it is very well done.

thank you, first intelligent response in the thread.

but the main concern is not longterm health defects from new arrivals to the planet. moreso having fucked up mutant children

pretty much. the highest mountains are also 3 times taller

Moving to Mars would provide unique health risks and potential problems that could be passed on to children. I'm not sure those risks mean we shouldn't still do it.

The same could be said of moving to a lot of place on Earth. Hell, even living in a first world country opens up your bloodline to several diseases that are near unheard of anywhere else.

Well, we can build big machines that create gravity and build them around designated areas.

jesus christ, there are no "new" diseases on mars you idiot.

nor would anything new be "passed" onto children that cant be passed onto them on earth

literally the main concern is CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT from conception to adulthood in a low gravity environment.

do you even know how stupid you sound? i refuse to believe you are being serious.

>having fucked up mutant children

You guys are putting the cart before the horse. We don't even know the effects low gravity will have. And you asking us what we're going to do about it? muh bone density, guess we'll stay home then. No point risking osteoporosis. Space faring colonies will NEVER be safe because life in general is never safe. If you want to wait around for it to become safe then it'll never happen. Humans will never reach Mars. Accept the risks and and consequences and move on.

mars olympics when

You need to understand the general public wants instant results.
Popsci gives that to them, telling them the results of exciting scientific studies.
Although it proves to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things, it gives the general public a sense of progression.
>"b-b-but Popsci tells me we are going to mars in 2020 and sooner or later flying hover boards will be a norm"
Basically its science studies and their possible results.

That's exactly what I was talking about. I didn't mean that the problems on Mars would be diseases, I only mentioned those to compare health concerns on Earth.

Mars will never have permanent settlers, it will be a highly automated tourist attraction.

I refuse to believe that you think that person was not being serious, you can't be so daft.

>osteoporosis

im not talking about adults losing bone mass you fucking tool

im talking about an embro growing like a fucking WEED due to it not having correct circulation due to gravity, nutritional fuckups, oxygenation of the brain during development

im done with this thread

im done with Veeky Forums, im convinced its just a bunch of 12 year olds why do i come here im fucking 30 years old

clicking the x on my browser and blowing my brains out

Women on Mars? Not going to happen. Ever. The plethora of drugs you have to dose astronauts with just to function at 60% is too toxic for women, including high doses of testosterone. Test, plus other growth hormones will make living in a confined space for a year (next closest return orbit) makes the possibility of women on Mars 1000000000000-1

>jesus christ, there are no "new" diseases on mars you idiot.

I wouldn't be so dismissive user, when the Apollo astronauts returned home NASA placed them in quarantine to prevent any pathogens from the moon spreading. It might have been an outside possibility, but it was still considered a big enough risk to be addressed. The MQF was only discontinued after it was proven that the moon was devoid of life, on Mars, well isn't finding life one of the main reasons used for going?

One question.

What makes you think mars colonists are going to be making babies? Especially without knowing the effects it'll have? That's what lab rats are for. We haven't even tested a plan to reach Mars let alone figured out how to survive in numbers larger than single digits and you're worried about how they're going to procreate. Cross that road when you get to it user.

Theoretically, people in a low (lower than Earth) gravity environment would grow up to be taller, right?

Well if they aren't having kids it's not a colony. It's basically a costly (and fairly useless) research station.

>ugghhhhhh why am I so smart
>no one understand how smart I am
>you're all twelveeeeeeeeee

see you tomorrow

taller, low gravity creates increased cranial blood pressure so they'd have bigger heads, less muscle mass too, farther from the sun means less pigment in their skin too .... oh shit

Why don't we just take gravity from somewhere else and put it on Mars?

They could just wear weighted boots

this, if gravity is a problem on physical condition just make it so the suits make you three times as heavy.

>musk in picture
instant hide thread.

and make babby lift weights in womb?

>they don't know how to shield themselves off from harmfull gravity rays
I thought this was a board for scientifically literate people

Is starting a Martian backup of humanity for if the Earth blows up NOT the ultimate goal of Mars exploration? What do you think we're doing all of this for? To learn about a dead planet's geology?

The humans would eventually evolve for Mars conditions, so it's just a couple generations that are fucked.

It would be much more than 3x increase in height.

Also the main reason skyscrapers aren't taller is because of wind and occupants not wanting to live in a swaying building. With the much thinner atmosphere, wind would be almost a non-factor.

>a couple generations
More like a couple million generations

This is among the reasons the former guy on PBS Space Time promulgates that we should colonize Venus instead of Mars.

youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag

Venus is the worst meme ever

If Martian colonies are ever larger than a tiny handful of people, yes, it's going to happen eventually, planned or not. Telling people they can't fuck isn't particularly effective, and with every colonist added the chances of a couple fucking and contraception failing (or couple choosing to not use it) increases. I wouldn't be surprised if the first pregnancy occurred before the population hits 1k, and if it hasn't occurred before 5k or 10k we're either sending warped individuals exclusively or have everyone's sex drive killed through medication.

No, I think we'd adapt within at least 100 generations. We could use some genetic engineering.

>1/3 earth gravity
3/8ths, technically.

But when there's no atmosphere and the surface is bathed in cosmic radiation, the gravity being a bit weaker is the least of your worries (you can just exercise a bit more for that).

Even talking about "colonizing" other planets in the solar system is ridiculous given our level of technology. Some people don't seem to realize just how comfy our own planet is compared to other planets, we should be focused on saving it.

I'm not for the insane deplete and move on shit, but we do NEED to make scientific progress in many directions and this is one of them.

I agree. A manned mission to Mars is a good idea, but not with the goal of colonizing the planet.

Problem is, that technology isn't going to improve if nobody tries to colonize other bodies. Sitting and waiting will get us nowhere.

It's also extremely likely that many of the things we learn and technologies we develop doing space exploration and colonization are directly applicable to life on earth. For example, if we can grow fruits and vegetables economically on Mars, we can grow them just about anywhere else, including the middle of the Sahara, meaning that the vast expanses of desert on Earth can be put to use feeding the population. Mars and Venus also give us two nearby planets suitable for long-term atmospheric and environmental experimentation - learning how to thicken Mars' atmosphere or thin that of Venus would also teach us how to safely maintain the atmosphere of Earth without risking ourselves and Earth's ecosystems.

Space has a great deal to teach us, and we don't even have to go that far to start learning from it. To not do so is unbelievably stupid.

Individual weight suits can easily bring back the 2/3 of weight back.

Make humans 3 times bigger.

/thread

I don't think the first people on mars are going to be having kids, in fact I'd wager that it will take more time to figure that part out than it will to get sustainable habitat on the planet itself. As to adults working in 1/3rd or 3/8ths G, just send some lifting equipment with them, or shit just go outside of the habitat and throw big rocks. 1/3G will be a lot easier to deal with than the zero gravity they'll be stuck with on the trip there unless the ship has a centrifuge which can simulate it.

What about square-cube law? There would be many problems.

jdavis.tv/jd_animation_sub_motion_aiaa.html

>go outside of the habitat and throw big rocks
most badass workout regimen ever

Going to Mars for human habitat is like going to the Arctic to make ice cubes for soda.

Wasteful idiocy of a narcissistic billionaire. Once his money runs out, it will all be dead space again. I only hope we don't have to "bail them out" when they inevitably fail.

If the Earth dies, living in the Arctic won't save you. Living on Mars might.

In all likelihood living in space stations is a more resource-efficient way or preserving the human race

>If the Earth dies
Mars is already dead, idiot.

What possible scenario could cause you to survive on Mars but not in a bunker on earth?

What's the probability of survival from staying on earth vs. moving to Mars? You have a higher probability to die on the fucking rocket takeoff.

*of preserving

Mars a shit

Absurdly massive space stations, perhaps. Surviving on Mars is a much nearer goal. A space station less than a thousand times the size of the ISS would likely be insufficient to preserve humanity in the case of the loss of Earth.

>Surviving on Mars is a much nearer goal.
You know what would be even "nearer'"? Surviving on earth.

>A space station less than a thousand times the size of the ISS
That's why you build one on an asteroid.

Apart from problems with radiation space is a better bet, the Martian atmosphere is too thin to protect against meteorites anyway.

Plus you can spread like a virus if you stay in space

>the gravity's too low on Mars. Humanity would have too many problems living like that

>colonizing a space station or an asteroid would be much better

>watched the Martian for the first time last night
>mfw he uses a sheet of plastic and some duct tape to cover up the hab
>mfw it is seperating 1 atm of pressure from the near vaccum of mars
>mfw it doesn't even leak

>preserving the human race
Not sure why anyone would pay for that, desu.

Individually, we'll all be dead in a couple decades. If you care for your children, you're better off leaving them assets on Earth, perhaps in different countries. Even if you care about something like your culture or nation, your money is better spent on Earth, to compete with the others.

But even IF you care about the human race, a Mars colony is sub-optimal spending at this time. Musk has done more for the human race by donating a few million dollars to AI safety research, than he ever could by spending billions on Mars.

The worst part about that movie was that other people ended up paying millions to save one human life, when they could have saved thousands of poor kids from hunger and disease for the same cost. And the guy had accepted the risk when he signed up for the mission.

>human lives have equal value

You're right, saving one idiot who signed up for a dangerous mission has less value than saving a random person.

Well, leaving a person stranded on another planet has much greater political implications.

If that happens in real life they had better get him home safe if they have any intention of a second mission.

You are providing an argument that the government should ban private Mars missions altogether.

Because we all know who is going to be forced to "bail them out".

>You are providing an argument that the government should ban private Mars missions altogether.
maybe.

>Brilliant, courageous scientist and explorer is less valuable than 'people' who can't even vegetables

He signed up for the mission knowing the risk, which means he was already compensated for it, either in higher pay or in social status. When the risk materialized, he had nothing to complain about and no one to blame but himself.

Of course, that's not what the propaganda movie tried to tell us.

Take 3 billion copys of that Sandra Bullock movie.
Then you have to much Gravity.

It's always better to play it safe when dealing with unknowns.
Mars will be no different, regardless of the "impossibility".

>1k
Try under 100

It will be an accident, but it will happen.
Put two people together for a long period and they will have sex. It doesn't matter if her face was smashed in at the age of 4, third degree burns over her body and hairier than a chimp. She's going to look pretty attractive after a few years alone.

I would argue very strongly that, at some point, movement to other planets (and ultimately, other solar systems) is not only an illustrious goal for the human race, but also a survival necessity.

All it takes is one extinction event to fuck us all up. And we're due (geological speaking) for a new one "soon".

Obviously just put them in a centrifuge to live on. Then most of their time will be spent at ~g and when they go out to Mars they will have the g/3

Extinction schmextinction. Humanity is overrated anyway.

If, very theoretically speaking and with some amazing imagination, we could not only build on an asteroid but construct a "ring" to facilitate artificial gravity...... We would have our own space ship to spread to other asteroids and travel.

It's a nice thought, regardless of the challenges (it's fucking impossible) we'd face. Might make a cool sci-fi though.

Wasn't that the biggest ramifications in the movie itself? The political and social implications?

I've never seen it 2bh

I give it an 8/10.
It's worth watching. It makes a validity attempt at "accuracy..

A centrifuge to rest, eat, and sleep in

Sure it could be done easily enough
But then large scale mars colonization is essentially impossible

So then we'll talk about Venus i suppose.
Venus is better anyways, easier to aerobrake, conditions closer to earth, shorter trip needing less delta V, etc

Mother fucker I almost spilled my coffee.

>makes the possibility of women on Mars 1000000000000-1
999999999999?

I want what Elon Musk used to cure his hair loss.

evolution happens in big jumps when you have a population bottleneck

>hasn't felt gravity

Bro do you even lift

the feeble winds of Mars caused him to be stranded

like wtf...?

>Venus is better anyways
Satan pls go

Moving to Venus is like moving to hell. I would rather take my chances with a nuclear wasteland.