What is your favourite book ever

Only allowed to post one guys

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Glimcher
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lets see what books affected your careers sci

Veeky Forums only reads intro to calculus books and wikipedia articles just enough to sound like they have an educated opinion on everything.

Book?
Name of the Wind
Veeky Forums book?
prob Freakonomics
text book?
Spivak's Mechanics for Mathemagicians

Gödel, Escher, Bach

Are you serious mate

Yes

NOT AN ARGUMENT.

I don't read many books to be honest, orthough I really should...

As of now this has really changed my view of our world.

Gonna cheat. It is not my most favourite book ever - but it is red-hot /sci material.
I scavenged it from a skip (dumpster) it is literally a rocketeers handbook - detailing sketches,tech drawings, fuel mixes and test results from the dawn of rocketry.
its fucking amazing. Our entire space program is based upon a team who were developing rockets for film sets in the 1920's to 30's..

Any /sci guy who ever wants to develop their own rockets needs to get a copy of this - the fuel mixes alone make it probable home security would want this off the shelf.

>Only allowed to post one
Easy.

Textbooks are a Diamond Dozen.

for a long time, it was lord of the flies. it was the first book to really get me interested in reading. then, for a while it was shibumi. i read that back in 07-08. it was the first fictional/action/movie-esque book i'd read. before that, it was all school recs; so shakespeare was also interesting to me, but never quite like i really wanted to be.

hmm. then in college, i picked up plato's works; the republic became a favorite. then i read seneca or nietzsche; i don't recall the order per se, but i think seneca was my favorite author for a while. i read up on a bunch of other stoic philosophers because of the way he talked about those ideas; pretty much made me one too, and it was smart choice.

hmmm. then nietzsche: naturalism and interpretation; this was the fist academic textbook i'd read front to back. i loved the way nietzsche was argued for here - naturalism was a way of life. plus i just dug his whole god-is-dead and we have killed him vibe. really smart guy.

over the past few years it's been more sporadic.

taleb's the black swan

is pretty much the only thing that stands out in my head now; i don't think i've finished a book in about 8 months to a year, cuz nothing has grasped my interest lately. it's as if i'm being intellectually stymied...

if watching videos counts, i was really into buddhism for a while

boner

I was thinking to pick a book from Camu's work, is it a good place to start?

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

already post here but ust saying imma get this cuz you made it sound so chool man

... It tolls for thee.

Great picks.

The High Frontier by Gerrard O'Neil

First book to get me into modernism. Humbled me and I legit cried after it. I have no idea why, but it had to do with seeing my life become that.

Wolfram came off as incredible full of himself, and did very little to further understanding of natural phenomenon. It is an interesting book tho.

Ray Monk also wrote a biography of Oppenheimer that I need to check out soon.

>only allowed one
nah

if it's non-textbook then "a mathematicians apology" by hardy.

Favourite textbook is Rudin which was my first exposure to real maths.

>infantile cartoons

And if you're speaking textbooks, then probably "VI Statistical Physics" by Nolting. As a physical object, I love for "Sheaves in Geometry and Logic" in the yellow Springer version

>Spivak's Mechanics for Mathemagicians
to be honest I've only read his historical guesses and interpretations in the first chapter, but that one feels ill-guided. A mathematican making up his own story of what physics is, in a way that seems to consistent to him, which is then naturally such that other mathematicans can easily accept it

That's probably why I can't get into Landau.
I'm always looking for proof of every little claim.

>storybook about sad rich people
This book convinced me that literature is the most cringe inducing art form.

inb4 a dumb pretentious Veeky Forums poster says "you don't get it because if you got it then you would think it was good".

Blew my mind.

ahh shieet. great book.

>Having taste this bad.

Ayn Rand reads like a /pol/lack trying to write fan fiction.

At least the stranger is a good piece of literature. The myth of sisyphus just comes off too much as wannabe philosophy.

English and philosophy major turned math PhD ratings (these are not reviews of books, their reviews of your taste given these are your BEST books of all time. For example, Batman begins is a solid movie, but you are mentally retarded if it's your favorite movie of all time):
0/10

6/10 for same reason as above

7/10

10/10

7.5/10

9/10. Probably 10/10 if I was a bit more hipster.

Veeky Forums loves Russian textbooks usually but,

>no Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, or Nabokov, Chekov,

Also,
>No Kafka, Joyce, Faulkner

>at least there's two Hemingway

I get it, book nerds... It makes you look better educated and interesting if you don't talk about the giants, but they're the western canon for a reason.

See pic.

Runner ups: Enneads, Euthyphro, GEB, Anima, The Tale of Genji, Upanisads, Daodejing, Summa Theologica, Essays of Montaigne, On the Origin of Species, Finnegans Wake, Moravagine, Stoner, The Arabian Nights, Remembrance of Things Past, The Trial, Ulysses, Le Morte Darthur, Barchester Tower, The Ambassadors, The Golden Bowl, The Karamazov Brothers, War and Peace, The Red and the Black, The Charterhouse of Parma, Moby-Dick, Macbeth, Hamlet, As You Like It, The Taming of the Shrew, A Clockwork Orange, The Canterbury Tales, The Pilgrim's Progress, Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, Alice in Wonderland, Don Quixote, Ficciones, 100 Years of Solitude, Aké, The Magic Mountain, The Sound and the Fury, The Education of Henry Adams, Absalom Absalom, The Warden, The Golden Notebook, Parade's End, Peace, Aeneid, Iliad, Odyssey, Theban Plays, The Divine Comedy, Four Quartets, The Waste Land, The Great Gatsby, Catch-22, Lolita, Infinite Jest, Watchmen, Beowulf, The Scarlet Letter, Blood Meridian, SICP, Hartshorne's Algebraic Geometry, The Road to Reality.

>Textbooks are a Diamond Dozen.
They are what?

>when you waste so much time on a funpost that the result becomes unfunny

My favorite book. It came out when I was a teenager and it got me into science. Without it I don't think I'd be an Astrophysicist today.

water ship down

I'm on page 700/1200 (stupid e-reader app, it's like 600 pages at most IRL), it's pretty entertaining, but I wouldn't consider myself an objectivist or a libertarian. I'm interested whether the people who are calling you out on it have read it or are just here from /pol/ to meme.

Economics student here, is this really worth it?

As of now? This one.

Got his dick shot off right?

It's not a proper textbook but it cites a lot of experiments and covers some basic introductory game theory. Essentially it gives a probabilistic model for decision making based on game theory and economics with evidence based experiments from neuroscience. I'm not sure how useful it is to economics in general but it's a good read that makes a convincing argument, in my opinion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Glimcher
>The field of Neuroeconomics began to develop in the late 1990s. Glimcher was instrumental in the bourgeoning of the field.[5] He published one of the first academic papers in neuroeconomics which appeared in the journal Nature in 1999 co-authored with the American Neurobiologist Michael Platt.[6] His first book, Decisions, Uncertainty and the Brain: The Science of Neuroeconomics (MIT Press) was published in 2003 and is often identified as the first book to use the word Neuroeconomics.[7] That book won the PROSE Award for Best Medical science book of 2003.[8]

My prof said that one should read Landau AFTER they've learned physics, because it's very concise, but it is worth it. He's one of the more respected profs too, so not just some idiot who is bragging.

I'm pretty far into my physics sequence.
I just want to go deeper into Lagrange and Hamilton's stuff.

sadly, I don't read much anymore... but I read this one some years ago, and it blew my mind.

Is this book better than Sipsers?

The older edition. The new one is watered down to hell like sipser.

A while ago The Myth of Sisyphus actually was some really good motivational material for me and may very well have made me take a few steps back from the intense depression I was experiencing. I'm a lot more stable now, but man that book really helped me out.

And then The Stranger came along during another big period of depression in my life and I also credit it with helping me get out of that one. I was so emotionally stunted at the time due to my depression that having a character to identify with (Mersault) so heavily was really cathartic for me.

10/10

>finnegans wake
>'daodejing'

kek, i believe you read all those books, mate, tbqh.

>Gödel, Escher, Bach
why?

look at this pop-sci cuck, bet you also think Black Science Guy is beneficial in some way as well. Go back to undergrad.

horton hears a who

My Women's Studies textbook was pretty great.

>being unironically this pretentious, LITERALLY

just

Kys

Have you read it
? It's great.

Mine is Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. She had a masterful grasp of dialogue and storytelling, as her main thing was traveling to tell stories to audiences.

I'm a chemist now.

But it's actually a pretty good book.
If you like reading it can be a really fun book.

I had a friend once who gave me such a strong, glowing recommendation for Finnegan's Wake that I went out and bought a hardcover copy the very next day.

I don't talk to that friend anymore.

Could you scan it and upload to libgen? I haven't found it anywhere. plsplspls

>reading non-fiction

your autism is showing

It really makes you think.

I only read non fiction now about improving skills, but favorite story of all time was a star wars book about the bounty hunters and their adventures. That was >10 years ago.

Easily.

>fav book
pic related
>fav Veeky Forums book
weyl's philosophy of mathematics and natural history
>fav textbook
Mac Lane & Moerdijk's sheaves in geometry and logic

hell yeah

KEK

maximal kek

Odette was such a fucking Stacey though.

kek no argument there

I dont really know how to express myself in english, but she definitly is the typical XXth century's roastie. She doesnt have any kind of intern reflexion; she is just completly empty, but yet she feels entitled to a certain treatment, just because she is a grill.
And she was probably a prostitute before meeting Swann and the Verdurin.

Libertarian here. Why do people read that book? Why not just read nonfiction books about libertarianism? Why does anybody read Ayn Rand at all? Her ultra-capitalist view of the world gives libertarianism a really bad rap.

You're right, but she is entitled to a special treatment not because she is woman, but because she is a beautiful woman, beauty is an accurate measure of the value of a woman not their intelligence, women are made to be beautiful, not smart, you just have to be a man and keep your woman in check, not like what faggot Swann did.

Well, it's obviously easier to read a story than non-fiction. Also there's the vicious cycle of people reading that book, then recommending it to others.

>hehehehe science and weed dude xD

Harry Potter 4.

have you read the american prometheus by Kai Bird?
Great book about oppie, better than monk

Don Quixote is GOAT.

I have not read many books. Philip K Dick's are pretty good.

Ender's Shadow series, although for a classic I quite enjoy fahrenheit 451

Good tastes, friend.

This was the last book to affect me.

Shiiieeeeet. The book that shows how christianity alone could destroy a culture

Now thats what I call edgy

Bhavagad Gita

Followed by time machine by what's his name

H.G. Wells, I presume