What coffees do you find to be the best?

What coffees do you find to be the best?

What do you brew your coffee in?

General coffee thread. I prefer a nice roast of this stuff in a standard moka pot.

Other urls found in this thread:

prima-coffee.com/blog/video-pressure-vs-flow-espresso-extraction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Roast ur own beans m8. All you need is a popcorn popper and some beans. You control the roast and the blend, you get it absolutely fresh and it's cheaper than preroasted beans. Takes 15 minutes on a Saturday to roast a week's worth.

Though World Market and Trader Joes has good coffee for decent prices

Cafe Bustelo is way better than $4 coffee has a right to be tbqphwyf.

Pic related, except the instant variety in the glass jar instead.

I mix a couple tablespoons in a shot glass with cold water in the morning and drink it like a shot.

Espressed in a home machine. Sometimes add a twist of lemon peel.

why pay $15 for this stale shit when most good local roasters charge $11-12/lb for delicious fresh roasted beans. who knows how long that shit was sitting on the shelf at starbongs

Either home roasted (usually get greens from Sweet Marias) in my Röstbiene or from Sump down the street from me. Sometimes I hit up the other roaster in town (Blueprint), or even order something online, but roasting about 75% of the time and Sump another 20%.

Ehhhh, popcorn popper coffee is basically inherently not great. I would stick to local roasters. Roasting is only really going to make good coffee with roasters that don't make any sense to save money price wise. Pretty much have to enjoy it as a hobby for it to be worthwhile.

It will be better than grocery store coffee for cheaper though. You just won't get close to the good shit.

Hello friends. I normally use my aeropress at 190 degrees and finish with water like an americano, but if I have company (very rarely, ha!) I'll do a chemex.

If it's Saturday I'll do a kind of halfassed cappuccino with a Moka pot. I also have a French press but I mainly just use that for tea these days.

>190
does that even extract caffeine after you factor in the loss from pouring? seems very low from my experience.

Aeropress is a bit different with full immersion mixed with pressure

190 is quite low for aeropress, this is true. I'd go with something between 196 and 198 since you lose ~3-5f from pouring.

but with no real steep time there's very little extraction. i haven't had the opportunity to use an aeropress, so certainly your personal taste is what matters most, but i just know that anything below 190 without longer steep times doesn't extract all of what you want from the beans.

appreciated input

makes me curious which aspects of the beans' extraction benefits from the pressure most. (between caffeine, oils, and other flavors)

Actually, 190 is fairly accurate for aeropress. The pressure causes the sugars to present themselves earlier, which means a lower temperature is very beneficial for the higher pressure. I've known some stuck up cunts who only like aeropress at 175-180, which I was not a fan of.

My local Arab supermarket sells imported beans from the near east and Africa. They also do a cardamom blend.

best coffee there is

There's usually stirring for agitation too. A a couple minutes steep with inverted.

I'm not the 190 guy btw. Not actually a fan of Aeropress out of everything I own. But it does well with a decently wide range of temperature. The only other method I can take that low is some Nel drip recipes and the Kyuemon.

I always preferred cafe pilon over cafe bustelo. Not sure why but probably because that is what my father who is was a Cuban exile from the 80's used to make cafe cubano.

Anyway he taught me the way to make cafe cubano using one of those moka pots and the secret was to take the first few drops of coffee that came out and mix it with sugar into sort of paste. Then combine the rest of the coffee into that paste and mix it before pour into the little mugs. I still do it to this day every morning.

how does water temp effect water pressure in an aeropress? isn't it the pushing down part that generates the pressure?

i've never used one, if that wasn't already clear.

To put it simply, the pressure does what a higher temperature water would do in a lower pressure extraction environment. An aeropress does exactly what's in it's name; presses the coffee against a specifically made paper filter.

You need less heat because you have more pressure.

I've heard aeropresses are affected by the specific beans used more than almost any other method of brewing, due to the different solubility of oils in relation to the pressure.

>You need less heat because you have more pressure.
But the pressure is being applied by the user. So if a user wanted to use a higher temperature then they could simply apply less pressure if they wanted to. No?

Also, do you have any figures on the sort of pressure that an aeropress could achieve? Anything like 15 bars?

15 bars is not good. Espresso is made with 9 traditionally, sometimes down to 6. The most I've done was an experiment between 10 and 15, and it's awful. Looks like you splashed drops of cooking oil in it too.

If you want variable espresso without paying for a lever machine get an Espressoforge, Aeropress can't get anywhere even close to 6, much less 9. But yes, you can control the pressure.

The real limiting factor in the pressure is the filter. And thank you , very informative and saved me a bit of typing.

>Aeropress can't get anywhere even close to 6
This is what I wanted to know.

>The real limiting factor in the pressure is the filter
Then that confirms the aeropress as a poor choice for coffee enthusiasts because the only thing resisting the pressure should be the coffee puck. Varied by tamp pressure (about 15 kg) and grind size.

I'm just trying to figure out why user posted a graph that relates to preinfusion aggitaion while talking about an aeropress, which I've already admitted to have never used.

Posting my favorite

inb4 le america XD

It's not a graph for preinfusion agitation, it's a full brewing graph to give scale for the point I made. Essentially I just saw it as an appropriate visual representation of the order of extraction to back up why the pressure changes the brewing.

But.. um.. maybe you should look at the source of the graph and watch the six minute video.

prima-coffee.com/blog/video-pressure-vs-flow-espresso-extraction

What's your point? The video is just talking about the slayer brewing technique and why it's a unique brewing process. The fact that it's not a linear progression doesn't invalidate my claims of sugars' extraction being changed by pressure and temperature.

But how can any variation in pressure or temperature alter the extraction in an extraction process that has it's paper filter, not the coffee puck itself, as the limiting factor (ie. the thing that's resisting the pressure)?

I'm not understanding this physics wizardry.

I mean, I was slightly incorrect state "order of extraction" despite it essentially working as the graph shows. My direct point of those being altered by the pressure and temperature stands fine, as there is only a small variable nature of which is extracted according to contact time.

I'm not sure I understand your question; the paper filter is indeed the primary limiting factor in regards to pressure, but that's not to say the pressure is slightly variant in accordance of the user's physical output. The specialized filters are why they advise you to not pack your coffee too tightly in an aeropress. This actually relates to the video in regards to the flow factor.

Any change in temperature and pressure is going to change the outcome of extraction, even if the filter involved is the primary determining factor in pressure.

The affect of temperature on extraction has nothing whatsoever to do with pressure. They are independent from each other.

For example, people that are into tea use various specific temps for different brews. And that's under zero pressure.

Look, pal. If you're happy with the coffee that you're making at home then great. Let's leave it that.

I'm fairly sure now that you're not a memepress shill so I'm happy to drop this line of interogation. I don't want to discourage conversation. But I despise shills who talk up their product by insisting that it's the best product available.

>The affect of temperature on extraction has nothing whatsoever to do with pressure.
FYI. In an espresso machine with a boiler the temperature will effect the pressure inside the boiler due to the amount of steam produced. Similarly in a moka pot, though not quite.

Anyway, I'm done. Enjoy your brew!

>They are independent from each other
This is technically not true, because of the way they affect each other. But the point being made by your post is essentially accurate.

I think the answer you're looking for is something along the lines of "the aeropress' filters don't specifically regulate the pressure, they are merely a large factor in the pressure produced. The puck and the physical force applied to the press alter the pressure as well".

I'm not sure I understand your point, man. I don't own an aeropress and I'm not a fan of them. I'm merely attempting to make clear the science behind extraction, and different methods of it.

Do you have an actual point to make though? You brought up the graph I posted...why? Did you not understand it's intent?

>What coffees do you find to be the best?

Low acid coffees.

Doesn't have to be dark roasts, but all my local roaster offers now are dark roasts and high acidity medium roasts (the Ethiopian being the only exception).

>What do you brew your coffee in?

Lately, french press and moka pot with preference for the former.

Excellent taste. Pile on the Pilon™ and start the day off right!

I'mma try that. I grew up with Pilon so maybe I need to get some again for nostalgia. I went to Cafe Bustelo and years later I completely forgot about Pilon and about how that I probably grew up with Pilon and not Bustelo. I saw that shit all over my grandparent's house. I think I only stuck with Bustelo because we sometimes drank it and because it was easy to find here.

Grandparents were exiles too.. not sure what else to say since every Cuban in America is assumignly an exile lol

Hi people,

I would like to eventually get something to make a decent espresso. I'm not looking for coffee shop level, but certainly not a Mr. Coffee all in one level. I've been using my moka pot which gives decent results but is kinda thwarted by my lack of a decent burr grinder. I know I need a grinder and have picked out something and am waiting until I see the best deal pop up online.

Anyway, I need a machine. I was contemplating the Rok (formerly the Presso) espresso machine. For those who don't know, it's a winged, manual, espresso press. It retails rather cheap, and that's pretty appealing, desu. Could anyone talk me out of that for another or reaffirm that it's a decent choice for the money? I just want tasty double shots :(

I drink Cafe Bustelo most of the time. Primarily because it's dirt cheap and kinda shitty, but like shitty in a good way, like a sleazy diner.

anyone else /cafedumonde/ coffee with chicory here? i wakeup before dawn everyday and a strong cup of the stuff wakes me up like no other

I just remembered that coffee gives me gas. Gonna be an interesting night!

No. Chicory tastes like shit. Plus Cafe Du Monde's coffee is more distinctive due to the scalded milk, the can shit doesn't taste like what you get there.