What's a good further text on Organic Laboratory technique having completed Zubrick's Survival Guide?

What's a good further text on Organic Laboratory technique having completed Zubrick's Survival Guide?

Other urls found in this thread:

uscibooks.com/rauch.htm
mega.nz/#!z90V1KhR!jRVD0YhL5_LRN70pLfa5ejq9gFRAS3cTUCY9UFxY5W8
mega.nz/#!Wg0GmSBK!ZrZ20Y7iEwla6hie4cGagTNqFoaz8VNs0cbLv1C44G8
mega.nz/#!rlEHySjT!LIpnX3KKLJG8tO79VFSleL90crFJNLwyIJL3sD_ZZSQ
mega.nz/#!i0El1DJC!WPhfxcLAvPty3fzbiT6h6sZ1yKd_A5bpfJmyniamkbw
mega.nz/#!vpk2wSjR!aPE08oW1je3Dh7pB_DhmwE3VQUoX2V6fp68jAXBaZkc
bestprogramminglanguagefor.me/q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>beyond Zubrick
I'll assume you're a motivated undergrad:
at this point you don't need a textbook, you need 1 on 1 instruction. You need to be paired up with a grad student or post-doc.

if such an opportunity is not available to you, you may well benefit from this undergrad level inorganic lab text
uscibooks.com/rauch.htm
(go to bookzz or libgen or whatever to get it for free)

Schlenk is Schlenk - at lot of techniques carry over.

> I'll assume you're a motivated undergrad:
Aye.

> at this point you don't need a textbook, you need 1 on 1 instruction. You need to be paired up with a grad student or post-doc.

A textbook to get pointers over the summer would be quite cool, all the same. Our undergraduate student doesn't have pairing, except for one poorly paid grad student to 10 undergrads, where they try to instruct us en masse in short 3 hour labs. There is very little room for improvisation or extra learning.

*a lot

Thanks, will check this one out!

I also got a book called Classics in Total Synthesis, but it's a bit dense and I haven't been able to get stuck into it.

>Classics in Total Synthesis,
Great series, but it's not going to help in terms of manipulation (how to set up/run/work up a reaction).

Let me drop some more good shit.
These aren't 'practical', they won't help you in lab, just like Classics won't.
But these are highly valuable resources.

"Comprehensive Asymmetric Catalysis" (Jacobsen, Pfaltz, Yamamoto) Vols 1-3
mega.nz/#!z90V1KhR!jRVD0YhL5_LRN70pLfa5ejq9gFRAS3cTUCY9UFxY5W8

mega.nz/#!Wg0GmSBK!ZrZ20Y7iEwla6hie4cGagTNqFoaz8VNs0cbLv1C44G8

mega.nz/#!rlEHySjT!LIpnX3KKLJG8tO79VFSleL90crFJNLwyIJL3sD_ZZSQ

There's an addendum I can't find.

Classics Vol 2

mega.nz/#!i0El1DJC!WPhfxcLAvPty3fzbiT6h6sZ1yKd_A5bpfJmyniamkbw

Kurti, Czako "Strategic Applications of Name Reactions in Organic Synthesis"
mega.nz/#!vpk2wSjR!aPE08oW1je3Dh7pB_DhmwE3VQUoX2V6fp68jAXBaZkc

Email professors for research / independent projects.

Much appreciated, grabbed them all except Classics Vol. 2 because it's the volume I already have. If you had a link for Volume 1 or 3 that would be fantastic, though.

>muh chlorophyll

How would you recommend doing this?

Here is what I imagine:
1. Read up on lecturers on their academic page.
2. If their research looks decent, read their past publications and become knowledgeable on them.
3. Make an email with a pitch asking if you can work with them.

Does this ever work?

How do you pitch yourself?

I am going to be a freshman at uni and would like to do research.

What are some skills I should have and acquire over the summer to get involved?

I am looking to get into condensed matter physics

Anyone?

Learn programming? Idk, someone better here probably can give some good advice

Just say you're interested in their research. You probably won't understand their papers desu. Just find a field and email a PI. I like to email the newish professors. So if you got a new one on the dept try him since he will actually teach you the ropes.

I was the first one to join mines group and he spent a lot of 1 on 1 time with me teaching me. Got three pubs out of two year with him so it was all good. Assistant professors are going to try hard as fuck to publish, so you might get lucky like me.

Got a dank LoR and top 10 Chem graduate school, even though my GPA was around a 3.5 because I spent so much time in lab. But decided to be a med fag instead.

>Learn public speaking skills.
>Reinforce your mathematical and physics intuition.
And of course, read around your subject to the point of obsession.

How do I reinforce my math and physics intuition?
And do you recommend reading just scientific journals or any other genres of literature specifically?

Also should I try to learn Python, C++, or R?

C++ is for n00bz; no relevance anymore now a days

March's is a good advanced text, if you are looking.

Research more on the history of concepts, and how they've developed and are also derived from more basic concepts, although in some cases it may be trivial to do so.
And read anything you can get your hands on.

>For your programming language.
bestprogramminglanguagefor.me/q

>March's is a good advanced text
I disagree.
It's more of a reference work than a textbook.
In my experience everyone owns it and no one uses it.
YMMV.

Once you get past introductory material, textbooks *should* be reference works. Once you get advanced enough, "basic overviews" cease to be useful. The tradeoff is that, for the intermediate reader, it's not evident which material is frequently used for the practicing scientist and which material has largely fallen out of favor: that's typically where the instructor comes into play.