The Long Weekend Theorem

could you cut someone in half with a one atom thick sword?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

idk maybe

don't worry, you'll never get a girlfriend anyways

It would snap

It wouldn't be able to exert a force large enough to do so.

Force is not dependent on surface area. Pressure is, and having less surface area means more pressure.

As long as the word wouldn't snap it would be easier to cut through someone as you would encounter magnitudes less resistance.

not if its Japanese made

would it just pass through the space of other atoms?

Mass is a component of force, and mass of a 1 atom thick sword is pretty low

Very unlikely. Even though you're mostly empty space between nuclei and electrons, atoms themselves are dense throughout your body.

The closer the atoms of the sword got to the atoms of your body the greater repulsive and attractive forces they would feel, until the point where the atoms of the sword would either collide with the atoms of your body, or pass mostly through the atoms of your body, but then you would have nuclei beside nuclei and electrons beside electrons which is a recipe for atoms flying in every direction.

would there be any measurable effect of these atoms flying everywhere? or would it be such a minute event to just be considered a blip in the everyday life of the atom?

my question is would an ungroken chain of molecules one molecule thick passing through you actually do damage or would the body just reform immediately

it would more likely able to pass through a sheet of metal since its uniform, but biological stuff is made from proteins which structure has a specific scale on the order of magnitude of a few atoms.
So separating two metal atoms when everythign around it is the same metal, or a long lipid chain - like the ones in cell walls - by one atom width wouldnt do much, it would stick together soon after. but each protein would be distorted and not come back together as before

Provided you do it slow enough, over the course of several minutes or hours, you could pass such a molecular thread through a body and you wouldnt die instantly, the squishy parts of cells are basically a liquid anyway, but the mitochondria and cell cores inside would take damage and require some time to repair. Not sure about the more rigid stuff like skin, bones and nerves. It would surely be tingly and uncomfortable feeling and leave at least a reddish mark

No. It would be very flexible and very, very weak such that you could break it with the tiniest amount of force.

Even if it were somehow impervious to breaking, if you "cut" something at that scale, the atoms would simply rebond so quickly that you wouldn't even be able to pull it apart without exerting enough force that you could rip it in half with that force in the first place.

you have no fucking idea what you are talking about and it shows

>could you cut someone in half with a one atom thick sword?
No.

Underrated post

no, I'm a pacifist.

but this sword you speak of, how many atoms long and wide is it?

no cuz bonds between cells hold us together not bonds between atoms

assuming the 1 atom thick sword didnt just break, it would just pass through you

you could swing it 1 billion times and there would be no physical damage

the atoms in your body would just move slightly out of the way

also it would never be enough to damage a cell

Define 'someone' and define your type of atom.

Each bond type (or hybrid bonds of the few basic types) has a distance associated with the lowest energy of the potential, and each element has a potential of its own with a specific reach. If the materials wont bond then it depends on each of those distances whether the thing being cut will have its atoms lifted from the equilibrium state into a position from which it wont spontaneously fall back into the energy valley.

On phone and tired, dont judge me if i dont quite make sense.

It'd be negligible.

Would it be similar to getting hit with a heavy metal ion beam?

it's the right answer desu!

nice

Only if it were a katana, doubt a longsword could cut like that.

> doesn't ask "could you cut someone in half with a graphene sword"

Disappointment desu yo

W E L L M E M E D
E
L
L

M
E
M
E
D

Only if you surround the blade with a stasis field.

What if the sword was made by Brian Greene?

Let's make it easier - could you cut a steak with a sword one atom thick

Overrated tosser.

Just make a fucking monomolecular edge you shitty hipster.

>molecular bonds arent actually made up of bonds between atoms

your failed logic is showing, senpai

What is the sharpest molecule?

A sword of graphene. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

fagget, mass is a casimir of the poincare gorup

I had a girlfriend. One atom sword is better.

one atom sword is impossible.

This is beyond cringey but somehow interesting. It's interesting because it would slice through someone like butter but the person wouldn't even have the slightest idea what happened. It wouldn't trigger a nerve I'm sure, just knock a linr of atoms out of the way. Sort of interesting. I wonder if like a carbon nanotube type shit would work to get it's thickness to the width of an atom while still having enough structural integrity and tensile strength to not just fucking fall apart upon impact with anything. I'll start working on the math now and begin engineering it within 10 days. Will keep you posted; in 10 days time expect to see a thread about me claiming to have actually created this sword bearing a blade with the width of just one atom across. I will rule the world.

>Implying there aren't any other 2d materials
Nice graphene meme

If it was strong enough, you could, but it would mean about as much as cutting water in half with a regular sword.

I have some candidates in mind for your human trials
Theyre a tad busy at the moment as most of them are running for president

His conlusion is still correct tho

Only if a Japanese blacksmith folds it over 1000 times

damn user
I can hardly fold a paper over 7 times