Are there any good educational YouTube channels?

Are there any good educational YouTube channels?

>pic possibly related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/1veritasium
youtube.com/user/SeriousScience
youtube.com/watch?v=PS9h7j5vpr0
viascience.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=_FHNMZbnvYU
youtube.com/watch?v=DwTht2L4jqA
youtube.com/watch?v=gSKzgpt4HBU
youtube.com/channel/UCYO_jab_esuFRV4b17AJtAw
youtube.com/user/crashcourse
youtube.com/watch?v=x8DtojIWZC4
youtube.com/watch?v=VLAAy_pM-k8
youtube.com/user/LookingGlassUniverse/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=STgbHFvUMlE
youtube.com/user/Kurzgesagt/videos
youtube.com/user/MathDoctorBob
youtube.com/watch?v=qT4ccNTIE0A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Numberphile

I think Numberphile can get pretty good but it's more informative than educational.
I don't know if that make sense, but what I'm trying to say is that you could watch a certain video and learn 'about', say, graph theory. But you aren't really going to 'learn' graph theory.

Vsauce is garbage.

I think Veritasium is pretty good.
youtube.com/user/1veritasium

>implying Wilderberger doesn't exist

viascience is one of the few above meme quality channels

PBS SPACE TIME.

Underrated channel
youtube.com/user/SeriousScience

youtube.com/watch?v=PS9h7j5vpr0

>SeriousScience
>philosophy
you'll have a hard time in this board, m8. for some reason, edgy people in this board hate to mix these topics.

in any case, I don't think the trolley problem is analogous to having 5 dying patients and one healthy person that could be killed to save the other people. it would be... if this person was also dying, but compatible with all the other people.

oh, and forgot to mention... I love the political propaganda he's spreading (perhaps unintentionally)

>>pic possibly related

Fuck no.

Second

>numberphile

What is this guy, some kind of pedophile for numbers or something?

Any more channels like this?

Thanks!

Also, I googled before I searched youtube, check out this amazing meme splash page for this unrelated garbage: viascience.com/

I love Vsauce, but sometimes his videos are too pseudoscience for me.

It is angering to me that you would post Vsauce. I personally think he is trash, and although I don't have proof right now to prove it, I remember him spouting out inaccurate and conjectural information as fact. Same goes for fucking backyard """""""""""""""""""scientist"""""""""""""""""

Veritasium is good.

chomsky's philosophy. It's just short excerpts of this dude's talks put into categories on various topics, but I think I've learnt more actually meaningful things than from all channels mentioned in this thread together. I think it's because he's a person commenting on social/human issues who actually makes sense.
youtube.com/watch?v=_FHNMZbnvYU
youtube.com/watch?v=DwTht2L4jqA

>Phile

>Denoting a person or thing having a fondness for a specified thing

How old are? 12?

You need to learn philosophy if you want not only to know, but also understand. Lack of proper understanding is a major problem in modren science.

He likes small numbers

Ted-ED

>I don't like things that are popular

What a pathetic basement dwelling faggot

Mit ocw

Obligatory image.

-1/12

What is he all about? I watched some videos and all he is talking about is how infinity and reals don't exist etc. He is limiting maths because there is no physical equivalent. BUT does this make sense? Is mathematics not proposed to be limitless as long as it's rigourous and logically correct?

I'm a physicist but this seems interesting.

Also, are there any other "big famous" people acknowledging his work or is this just a circlejerk for autists?

> He is limiting maths because there is no physical equivalent

I think he just wants to prove that you don't need to get into high level abstraction to do stuff.

> Is mathematics not proposed to be limitless as long as it's rigourous and logically correct?

That's the funny part of it, there is no such thing as a "math." What we do have are sets of laws that we like to work with, because they apparently work in our universe. We also like to work with stuff that doesn't belong to our world, but looks promising and we like to mess around with.

You can create any kind of set of laws, and they don't even need to be consistent. Nobody will give two fucks about it, but that doesn't mean that your abomination isn't valid.

Third.

Their video explaining mass-energy equivalence is unmatched.

youtube.com/watch?v=gSKzgpt4HBU

>pic possibly related

Who made these and when?

idk, i only have this one, i forgot what thread it was in

this is just gold

V de la sauce. There's a whole bunch of them out there.

>no one mentioned 3blu1brown

graduate level maths guy talking about maths stuff with really nice animations

youtube.com/channel/UCYO_jab_esuFRV4b17AJtAw

>Veritasium is not popular
I gave my reasons for why I don't like Vsauce, are you projecting much?

this guy got me into some weird cello music

another

>individual photons don't have time
Huh. What's that mean?

They are moving at the speed of light, so from the photon's frame of reference, there is no time.

There's just not enough of these.

>lets talk about lemon sandwiches
>10 seconds into video
>so thats why crocodiles cant fly

> the -1/12 channel is good education

I like CrashCourse. Loved their series on astronomy.
youtube.com/user/crashcourse

Sixty Symbols
Computerphile
Periodic Videos
Nottingham Science
DeepSky Videos

>I'm trying to make a popsci meme video on neutron stars

should I kill myself

>popsci

you never should've been born

Vsauce is good, fuck you!

Yeeeess

Yale's channel's pre' good

So is Stanford's.

I think NOVA might have one? Nvm, but I found a channel called 'Universe TV' during my search. All educational programming therein.

Mah niggah
Their history course was dope, and I had some fun with their chemistry as well.

Nothing can save you from your shit taste.
also I can easily say with confidence you are under 18. pls go.

youtube.com/watch?v=x8DtojIWZC4

That proves nothing. If you watch his videos you will actually see that he uses many sources. A parody saying he doesn't is nothing. I don't get why this is the reason you don't like him

Sometimes ill find myself watching kurzgesagt when im drunk but i dont really know how well they actually hold up.

>when im drunk
Why do people do this?

his math history series is pretty great tbqh

Im a raging alcoholic and have no particular excuse, but its the only time i really bothered with the videos so I don't have any proper opinion of them other than them being "cozy" i guess

Hes scatterbrained
He caters to add milenial trash with his constant clipping and the fucking terrible cantor of his voice.
Hes so uncomfortably intense and dramatic its cringeworthy
He mixes science with ludicrous opinionated and occasionally flatout wrong conclusions

I could go on, but frankly Ive lost interest

Too thinly spread knowledge imo. Deep sky videos is muuuch better for me.

Also, sixty symbols, numberophile, thunderf00t (if you don't mind anti- feminism, anti-religion stuff) and smarter everyday

*ADD

Mathologer
Vihart
EEVblog

Have you seen his newer videos on math? They're actually pretty good. He focuses on one topic a lot more and doesn't run off on tangents as much. Check out his Banach-Tarski paradox video.

I suppose I havent.

Maybe Ill give him another shot sometime this week.

I already see a low amount of American sounding names in the title, must be of higher quality than most channels already.

It's always the same on Veeky Forums, gets so boring hearing brainless hate towards popular things without arguments.

This isn't the point of vsauce, god some people are so fucking autistic (not towards you specifically, just autistic downies who think everything that doesn't go in depth is bad)

Is it autistic to not want to hear a fucking spastic tell you shit you already know in a lilting cadence and conclude his videos with some emo feel good shit that has fuck all to do with the original topic?
This is a science board, we all know the shitty popsci we hear it every day.

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

Mathologer is one I like.

>le fuck vsauce xD am i cool and contrarian enough guys?

its more of a meme video since it wont appeal to popsci retards probably maybe idk ill just kill myself

backyard scientist used to do actually cool shit like making chloroform and chlorobutynal and show the math behind it, but now he just pours shit in watermelons

youtube.com/watch?v=VLAAy_pM-k8

fucking great, watched a few videos, fucking amazing.

people hate spams and advertising you shitposter. deal with it.

>Is mathematics not proposed to be limitless as long as it's rigorous and logically correct?

Think about the terms you're using

>limitless and logically correct

You can't prove the existence of something that does not terminate. You can at most say "it does not terminate", but you can never verify even that. Read up on non-referring terms. This is a very old problem in the philosophy of language and has definitely not been "solved" by set theorists, or anyone who claims to have solved it. To be dismissive of this is foolish.

>are there any other "big famous" people acknowledging his work or is this just a circlejerk for autists?

You have to verify that the conclusions follow from the premises according to the rules, on your own, and then demonstrate this to others so they can verify it too. The central authority with which we appeal to is the rule itself, which, is an abstraction of nature, and did not come about "arbitrarily". Appealing to authority is poor form.

>That's the funny part of it, there is no such thing as a "math"
>What we do have are sets of laws that we like to work with
>You can create any kind of set of laws, and they don't even need to be consistent
>Nobody will give two fucks about it, but that doesn't mean that your abomination isn't valid

It's funny, I transferred from the college of art at my university to get away from the contradictions, pseudo/anti-intellectualism, and absurdity of mod/contemp art, and thought I could find refuge in the mathematics department, thinking surely mathematics would be safe from the toxic and trendy deconstructionists- but no, math has been corrupted too. What happened in the last century? Who is telling people to abandon their senses, to abandon reason? Why has it become so popular to give up on reality? Was it the post-war brain-drain? Did we get more than just the nobel laureates but their 12 influential schizophrenic cousins? What the fuck is going on in our academic communities?

Bait

>people who disagree orthodoxy are trolls

Again, it's funny that whenever I post my views on this *I* get called the troll. Are people so convinced that they can understand infinity that I just *have* to be a troll to think otherwise? What am I missing if it is so obvious how simple it is to resolve the contradiction of a finite understanding of the world comprehending infinity?

I mean, do you really know what infinity means? Sometimes I think it is the people who are telling everyone they're using the term "infinity" incorrectly are the ones who *actually* understand what it means. How is what I am saying "bait"? I'm trying to argue my point of view and instead I just get dismissed as a troll? that's very frustrating. I'm not making these arguments in bad faith.

I probably shouldn't even respond to these types of posts.

Also, to anyone who is afraid to speak up about this, but wants to read more about the philosophy of math, I suggest reading some of the papers that Vlad Shaposhnikov has written on the "theological underpinnings philosophy of modern mathematics". he makes some connections between the increase in secularization and the need to replace what was lost with a new absolute certainty. He cites some of bertrand russell's journal entries, so it's not just conjecture! worth a look. you can d/l them for free on academia,edu. also, James Franklin, who is a colleague and faculty member at the same university that wildberger is from (university of new south wales) also writes on the philosophy of math. Worth reading if you're confused about these things like me!

And as always...

"The truth does not fear investigation"

youtube.com/user/LookingGlassUniverse/videos

She also has a really qt voice

is there anything else like this?

hugefloods is pretty damn good, though tends to focus soley on the geology of WA.

youtube.com/watch?v=STgbHFvUMlE

if you look hard enough you can find full episodes of Beakman on YT.

These videos exist and are successful through rewarding the viewer with instant gratification.

The video will appear to teach the viewer, with statements communicated clearly and explicitly, spanning just 9 minutes. What a win-win situation! Just 9 minutes out of their busy day, some interesting information, and they're on they're way.

Despite the seeming win-win, any video watched will have the viewer forgetting what they just watched 2 weeks down the road.

Sure, the main 'idea' of the video will be remembered for these few weeks, and perhaps the video made such an impact on the viewer that they'll repeat the concept to their friends and seem intellectual for a fleeting moment.

However, in reality, basic understanding or lasting knowledge would never be gained through watching five, ten, or twenty 10 minute videos on differing topics. Although, they do a rather good job of making the viewer feel like they've learned something, hence why viewers return, but in the end its all an illusion filling the modern nurtured craving for a consumer's instant gratification.

Just read IFLS posts on Facebook

kek

its not like its the video's fault if the viewer doesn't retain the information

I mean a lot of kids take Algebra II for a whole year get an A and still forget most of it

While that might be true, I doubt any video is going to provide lasting understanding in any worthwhile subject, no matter how much of that video the viewer remembers.

No, books are the only true source of knowledge

This : youtube.com/user/Kurzgesagt/videos

/thread

Youtube channel 'Brian Douglas' has some videos on Laplace & Fourier transforms, control systems and mathematical modeling of physical systems.

I don't know if it has been posted yet but this the only serious mathematical channel I look at:

>youtube.com/user/MathDoctorBob

Of course it doesn't have silly number magic and/or weirdly explained theories, it's simply a good channel to watch. Sit back and enjoy some good videos.

It's also useful for revising subjects. It doesn't go into proofs but everything is explained rather clearly. Also I like the dude. Go MathDoctorBob!

yes, this dude

Veritasium is a shitty channel.

>Vihart
Are you fucking retarded ?
All she does is ramble about the mainstream, especially why a common and useful representation of a number is less appropriate than some other.

I tried.

youtube.com/watch?v=qT4ccNTIE0A

How did I do?

Pretty bad. Write a script next time. Far too much umming and aahing.

A better title wouldn't hurt :^)

Left her a comment :^ )

that would happen even with a script, I'm afraid