If Facebook wasn't stupid enough already

If Facebook wasn't stupid enough already.

iflscience.com/editors-blog/homework-could-have-impact-kids-health-should-schools-ban-it/

Ever since I graduated high school and got into university my overall performance has gone up. I attribute that a bit to the fact that there is literally no use at assigning homework for pure mathematics and thus we barely get anything of that nature except for random 'prove this trivial lemma that follows for the class that I could not prove for you because time is up but you should still know it' that take about 5 minutes of deep thought and then 2 minutes of writing.

Homework is shit and I cannot believe that after all this time it is still handed down.

My theory of why we do this is to appease those who believe too much in children. People think that if you just keep forcing stupid kids to learn more they will learn and thus they bombard them with assignments. If we could all just agree that some people are simply not smart enough to be great at academic subjects then we could all move on and find a better alternative.

Those smart enough will be given better guidance once the 20% of absolutely retarded kids are thrown out of school. These 20% of kids will be allowed to come back if they so desire but will be adviced and given guidance to join tech schools to become skilled workers or they can even go pursue a career in rap or who gives a shit.

In all honesty, many of the problems in society would be fixed if people could just accept that some people are simply not smart enough to succeed. This is just the most obvious one.

I never did homework at home in grade school, and I'm not the only one. We could just easily do it in the fifteen minutes before classes started in the morning. What are they even complaining about?

That said, individual study and reflection without someone holding your hand through it (re: doing it for you) is where all of the learning happens.

Meh, I agree with the others.
The most useful "homework" usually involved researching stuff I did not know or learn in class, and spending time to find good ideas and put them in a nice form for a long essay.
Kids should spend time doing other stuff than working at home.
Classes should become much harder and denser though, I feel like I wasted my first 18 years.

You should check that snapchat

Thank you for gracing us cretins with your surpreme intelligence and infinite wisdom. Normally I would have denounced your post as pretentious and I would have called you a conceited retard, but seeing as you are a pure math major of such extraordinary caliber, this obviously is not the case. Please continue to offer your opinion on topics such as this one... with time, I am confident that your deep and intelligent thoughts will inform the solutions to the world's greatest problems.

see

*tips*

>School teacher
>Give an assignment in class
>Give them at least 30 minutes to start on it (takes maybe 10 if focused)
>"I'll do it at home
>They don't
>Their grade falls
>Parents email asking why they get so much homework.

1-800-cmon-now

Damn I didn't know I would trigger so much people.

By your triggering and the fact that none of your replies is a counterargument I can safely assume that you are from that 20% of absolutely retarded people I was talking about.

Not my fault you were born stupid, just accept it and live and let live.

be more autoritative.
you're not their friend, they should shit themselves every morning when they see you.
Stand next to table until you tell them to sit
no talking
homework done or out
etc.

I literally dropped out of education because of homework. I just cannot stand it. It's much more comfy to learn on your own without being drown in assignments.

A true hero: even when facing criticism he remains stalwart and confident in his ideals. He is not afraid to face the mouth breathing troglodytes that attack him with such senseless vitriol. One might say (admittedly, I would have said if I had not known he was such a learned and accomplished pure math major) that he has no basis for his argument, and that he offers no meaningful contribution to the discussion. One might even have the audacity to say that his elitism and edgy opinions are a desperate appeal for acceptance by those who engage themselves in the perpetual circle-jerk on this board. But surely such libelious and deceptive claims are the product of the petty thoughts of the simple minded.

How do you not have a lot of homework as a math major?
How do you get intuition for proofs if you don't have to do a shitload of them for homework?
I would understand it if you were actually talking about post grad since it's hard to actually pose meaningful homework problems for classes but undergraduate math was the first time in my life to actually do homework because I would fail classes otherwise because of lack of training

>pure math major
>doesn't do homework
>learns math simply through sheer intelligence
>others do not possess the mental capacity to achieve what he has achieved, completing his first semester of community college

Pretty much true. Homework is bullshit, and most schools are pretty worthless too. You guys are just butthurt because you were nerds in school so hamster-on-wheel academics is all you have.

What about group work? Should this be abolished?

Group work helps students work together which can help with studying.

but why is mandatory?

>but why is mandatory?
Because learning to work in groups is essential to living in the real world.
Might as well teach you how in uni.

Groupwork in school is dumb, but it is not inherently bad. Nothing wrong with it really but doing it at school is absolutely useless.

My reasoning goes like this: humans are social animals by nature. We know how to interact with each other so we do not really need to practice these interactions in random pointless environments.

However, when you are in university and you are an engineer then it would be actually helpful to pair you with other engineering students so that you can perfect your social skills in your specific environment.

Doing group work in random history research for high school will never help me. Doing group work for my undergrad thesis would be helpful if I wanted to be a researcher. Doing group work in a statistics project would be helpful if I wanted to be a statistician, and so on.

Nobody needs to learn to be social, but most need to polish their social skills in their specific environments. We all know how to talk to friends practically from birth, but very few know how to talk to a co-worker or boss in a specific field from birth.

If you want to be important in anything at all, collaboration is necessary. It's not just to "build social skills".

You sound like a sophomore autist who's never done anything challenging.

>If you want to be important in anything at all, collaboration is necessary.

Do you have good enough memory of the kind of group work you were assigned in elementary education?

It was very random and pointless! I got nothing from making a picture of different animal families for biology with 3 other kids.

That did not teach me social skills because I already had them, and it did not help me build something important because that picture book was stupid. Stupid idea, stupid execution.

But doing group work at the undergrad and grad level is actually helpful, but only because you are interacting with people of your field.

Or because it's always easier to grade students as groups instead of individually

They only use
>learning to work in groups is essential to living in the real world.
as an excuse so professors don't have work that much.

I study for the main purpose of gaining expertise in some field of study; if I wanted to learn how to work with other people, I'd go to a teamwork seminar or whatever those are called. I think it's fucking retarded to force this shit because "hurr you might need it one day"

I didn't go to school to study how to be important at anything