How the shit do I get a job?

I don't get it Sci: I have a Physics degree with a 3.5 GPA and can code in Python and C#; why can't I get a job? Who do I fucking need to blow to find employment?

I guess science employment in general thread.

Pic unrelated

What jobs are you applying for?
What research have you done?
Why aren't you enrolled in a masters or phd program?

Everyone knows physics bachelors are useless.

Mostly software development and finance since I live in the NYC area
Undergrad research was in self-assembly of nanomaterials
Because I didn't want to spend another 6 years in school.

Kinda seems like it, yeah.

The STEM shortage is a meme. Unless you know someone who can get you a job, it's fucking brutal out there. Companies would rather hire a shit tier H1b visa holder.

>Python and C#

There's your problem

It really sucks, but if you ever went to any job fair ever, literally every employee will tell you that you need at least a masters to do anything with them.

Companies prefer engineers because more of their courses are mindless "practical" experience, and they don't want you to be able to think for yourself because it makes you inflexible in the workplace to incompetence.

What should I learn instead?

Guess I'll just keep going, then

I will add that you can get in to a government it or analyst job. Since you have a degree, your pay grade will be higher. After a few years working, you'd be qualified for something in the private sector.

>government it or analyst
That is damned depressing, but thanks anyway; I'll start applying for those

I got an internship in a tech company being a geology major. I went there to use an ICP-MS as part of a research project. They were impressed and they said to apply to their intern program. Gotta diversify nigga.

where are you located and where did you go to school?

do you know anything about lasers or optics?

I'm feeling generous so maybe I'll give you a lead with my lab

C++14

You are definitely qualified to teach high school level. If you're above that, well Idk. You could teach for now and work on a masters.

THIS. I'm seeing for myself how true this really is. It's a meme. The STEM shortage is with natural born Americans only. There is no real STEM shortage.

what school?

I have studied physics and I code in Java and Javascript for a living. It took me some time to get a job... Also, don't be an autist. Prepare well for a job interview. You also probablywon't get a job coding in C++. That's a low(er)-level language that requires deeper knowledge to utilize it properly.

You need a vagina, it's 2016.

Seriously, fake a resume with the same qualifications, and just act like you're a woman, watch how many responses you get

why are u applying for finance with a physics degree? people who get accepted have a second degree in finance.

Ah, shit, might be too late, but University of Colorado, Boulder and yeah, did an optics class as my senior elective.

just gonna piggyback here

Is Code Academy a decent way to pick up practical programming skills? There aren't any programming requirements for my chosen major, but I know it would be useful for me anyway.

They charge $20 per month for their full service, with quizzes and tests and so on, for now I'm just moving through their free lessons.

Keep in mind I'm coming from this as code illiterate

This, OP. You don't even understand how much easier life would be if you're female. Then again, you'd even have the option to not work and just marry a successful man. That said, are you autistic? I majored in math and my gpa was straight up AIDS (seriously,

Don't pay, practice more. If you're code illiterate I suggest you to come up with an interesting project, make it work and upload it on a personal website. This way will your potential employers know that you're really capable of coding.

>They charge $20 per month
You could get a friend who had taken a course and program with him. Go meet people who know how to program and learn from them. Not that difficult