Is it possible to do science without equations ?

is it possible to do science without equations ?

Yes, absolutely

biology

Well I don't know about you but I'd have to say that this here diagram doesn't tell you you have to use equations.

that's what we commonly call "pseudo-science"

Darwin didn't use no equations

Yah ain't gonna need no math to be a scientist yo

No, pseudo-science is characterized by two things:
>lack of rigor
>lack of revision

It's entirely possible to confirm/reject/revise a hypothesis based on experimental data, and never see or learn an equation. And that process is literally the only single thing that defines science.

tl;dr Grow up, you stupid undergrad.

It's possible. It's not like science by definition requires Mathematics, it is merely unreasonably effective. It's just good luck interpreting data without equations.

Mathematical biology is the next big thing for math. And good biologists should be able to apply statistics.

Yeah. Look up Michael Faraday.

oh sure.
How do you reject a hypothesis that makes no prediction? (prediction = mathematical prediction).

You are fooling no one, you know nothing about science.

came here to post this.

Faraday was an uneducated lay person. Yet he had the intelligence and abstract thinking needed to do some important science.

With do statistics, do you mean p-values and linear regression or actual statistics?

Does chemistry count or nah?
What about P-Values?

I would argue yes, in my field.... But we still do T-Tests and R-Values.
Fucking anova

What I mean is that when trying to analyze a certain kind of data with certain kind of dependencies, they should be able to know which method to use and how to use it. It really should go beyond p-values and linear regression. You get a lot of shit science just because people don't know how to do statistics and simply apply methods until the data says what they want it to say. I'm not into statistics myself. I'm simply relaying information I've gathered from my math prof who teaches upper year statistics courses.

Not if you're talking about math or physics tho

equations are applied to every facet of biology.

your meme rustles my biologically trained jimmies.

you just posted an image depicting an algorithm tho

>Does exposure to hammers kill hermit crabs?

>Take some hermit crabs, smash with hammer
>Hermit crabs are dead
>Take some hermit crabs and do not smash with hammer
>Hermit crabs are alive
>Exposure to hammers proves lethal to hermit crabs

Hypothesis stated, experiment conducted with control and test group, and conclusions drawn

Sounds like science without math to me.

Kind of. Before it became quantitative, physics was observational. The ancient Greeks saw ships appear to go down as they sailed away and concluded that the earth is round. People experienced gravity, but probably wouldn't have been able to explain it outside of "it pulls me down" or at best "it pulls me towards the center of the earth." Much of medicine would have developed the same. Vaccines, penicillin, and germ theory all developed without reliance on mathematics.

>2016
>clinging to the oxymoron empirical '''''''''''''''''''''''''''proof''''''''''''''''''''''

yes goy, believe what complete strangers tell you

Not worthwhile science