User's theorem

>user's theorem
>user's postulate
>user's argument
>user's diagram

How much of a retard am I for partially going into science because I want things named after me?

it's a motivation, probably a common one, maybe not the best one

beyond that, who cares?

You aren't retarded for wanting that.
it's an enormous feat.

I would cringe so hard every time I had to mention something named after me

It's one type of motivation among many. Whatever works to get you off your ass to apply yourself.

Instead of saying "user's theorem" you could just say, "the theorem I proved in ___ shows..."

Stigler's law of eponymy states that no scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer. Stigler named the sociologist Robert K. Merton as the discoverer of "Stigler's law" to show that it follows its own decree. So you shouldn't worry about it as long as you are not some masonic cunt.

>tfw generic common last name

"Theorem 2.5.13 of [Anon16] shows that.."

It's fortunate that I'm too lazy and unmotivated to ever make a discovery of note. My name is so long and awkward to pronounce (Polish, so a true consonant massacre) that generations would curse me for it.

good call. I know Dijkstra has already caused enough suffering

bump

Concepts named after people is the cancer of mathematics.

seconded
> abelian groups
they're fucking commutative groups

>Hello, I'm user and going to present a generalization of user's Theorem

You do realize that you don't pronounce the j in his name, right? The ij is a diphthong in Dutch, and in English you just pronounce it like the y in by, so there's nothing hard about his name at all.

It's pronounced exactly like I would expect it to be pronounced. What was your first thought?

Boer please, the pronunciation of your language doesn't make sense to anybody else.

or "My theorem shows..."

Fuck off, usually mathematicians are humble enough to only let other people name stuff after them. (Often after they died)

Also what else do you want to call new shit? Do you want more different notions of "regular", "normal", "equivalent"

You could always be like Wronski and be an idiot pulling an awesome equation out of your ass while playing with baby math.

Just to fuck with everyone I'd like to invent a very important theory and name it "Big Dick's Theory".

Well at least you can make up as many axioms as you want.

>Mathematicians
>Humble
Most euphoric, pretentious self-aggrandized people on the planet

I also have a Polish last name.
One or two people (outside of family and friends) have said it correctly the first time.

Now I really want to have something named after me.

fucking brainlet detected
come back after you've generalized all curved lines, then talk shit

full retard

At what point is it academically acceptable to start naming things after yourself?

That's not how it works.

you dont even know what you're talking about lmao

You don't. Other people start calling the important theorem from your paper "user's Theorem" because it's an easy way to identify it.

If everyone's lucky, you realized it was important and gave it a somewhat descriptive name in the paper instead of just calling it "Theorem 2.10". That way it becomes "user's Characterization Theorem", so the name at least hints at what it's for.

Bump

You write a paper. You use an attempted descriptive name but you're a mathematician so you suck ass at naming things. You don't use your name because you're not an egotistical fuckass. Someone with more influence finds it interesting. They write a paper referencing your paper, but rather than using your stupid name, they simply refer to it as "user's (some appropriate term)". Probably because they think the name you chose sucks. More people see their paper, and assuming they also find it interesting, they pick up the latter convention. Congratulations, something is now "named after you".

I want to be influential ;-;

Kill yourself you dumb narcissistic fuck.

Kys

I had a lecturer who knew Chandrasekhar fairly well, he was so proud just to have known him, probably largely because of the so called limit. This lecturer spent much of his life studying physics, he probably would have given anything to have something half as important named after him. So I don't think its a bad aspiration to have at all.

i don't get that unless i think of it in terms of being the first to accomplish x

we all want this ... intuitively that's the conclusion i've come to

only the pious have purer notions? maybe not even them

seek and you shall find

I improved upon a lemma in a fairly famous textbook, pretty sure it's a new result so I'm going to email the author and hopefully I can get it mentioned in the next edition

I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a mediocre researcher, all I want is a comfy footnote and I can die happy