How have you reduced sugar in your diet, Veeky Forums?

How have you reduced sugar in your diet, Veeky Forums?

What are your daily sources of added or natural sugars?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/nature/journal/v482/n7383/full/482027a.html
who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/trs916/en/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

'Murrican reporting.
I don't add sugar to anything (except for what's mentioned below), but I do eat a lot of fruit, at least one or two pieces of fruit a day, sometimes more.
About once or twice a month, I'll bake some desserts, but I use things like fruit purees, bananas, honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar to sweeten them.
I'm not in any danger of getting the 'beetus, and it doesn't even run in my family, but eating too much sugar is just disastrous for your body.
Now, I can't control how much sugar is used when I go to restaurants, but I just have to accept that, and deal with what I can control at home.

I haven't because sugar is harmless insofar as it does not make you gain weight or cause inadequate nutrient intake (which for me it does not)

Americans consume a lot of calories from sugar because Americans consume a lot of calories in total. Americans are scared shitless of sugar despite having one of the highest fat intakes in the world and dying of heart disease, stroke and diabetes at record rates (none of which are caused by sugar). Americans are brainwashed by meat and dairy industries which have a strong interest in downplaying the harms of fat and exaggerating the harms of sugar and carbohydrates more generally.

My sources of natural sugars are fruits and vegetables as is the case for most people. I prefer bananas, dates, figs, applesauce, tomato products. Sometimes I'll have frozen berries, sometimes grapes, pineapples, whatever.

My sources of added sugars are raw cane sugar that I sprinkle on various dishes as well as adding it to certain vegetables. I also use sugar beet syrup (German) which is simply whole sugar beets with fiber and all cooked down into a syrup. Sometimes I'll have different jams obviously with added sugar, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, good stuff. And also Haribo candy, ginger-lemon is the best.

Americans consume a lot of sugar because it is in everything. Meat, bread, soup, canned food and many other products have tons of added sugar

American here. I avoid sweet drinks and convenience food. Not so big on dairy, either. So the only sugar in my diet comes from the fruit and vegetables I eat, and the rare occasion I have dessert (maybe once a month or so).

On a day to day basis there isn't any added sugar in my diet. When I go out to eat who knows, but I don't eat out all that often.

Refined and natural sugar do not cause diabetes, and aren't "disastrous for your body". It's just empty calories. It's not a health food, but unlike butter and lard (which are also empty calories), it has no negative effects either. That's because humans are very much adapted and evolved to consume and process vast quantities of sugar every single day due to our frugivorous lineage.

All of my meals are made from scratch, so yes.

The only sugar I get is fructose.

And lactose when you consume dairy.

Meat has added sugar? They inject the pigs I guess. News to me. The amount of sugar in stuff like beef jerky is tiny as a fraction of total calories.

Bread has added sugar for thousands of years and all around the world to optimize yeast activity. The amount is tiny.

Soup again has very tiny amounts of sugar added because if you add too much it tastes like a soft drink. The bigger problem here is the salt.

Canned food does not generally have added sugar, and if it does the amount is usually small as a fraction of total calories.

Americans are just ill-informed on nutrition. They just gobble down whatever bullshit fad they get fed. Most recently that's low-carb sugarphobic bullshit.

Sugar is in nearly every product in the grocery store that's not whole foods. We eat more sugar than our body can handle. I'm not going to get into a fucking debate with you about it, but you can easily find plenty of literature online about how hideous an over abundance of sugar is for your organs, and especially your skin.
If you eat fruit and vegetables, you really don't need any other sugar in your diet.
Butter and lard is preferable to eat than sugar (although you shouldn't eat much of those either, for other reasons).

>people buying meme sugars (palm, coconut, date raw..) as if it matters

It does matter. Different sugars have different nutrients. If you're going to consume sugar, why not eat sugars that have some kind of benefit to them other than just sweetening your shit.

damn would you look at all those nutrients

>Bread has added sugar for thousands of years and all around the world to optimize yeast activity. The amount is tiny.

You should really look up the nutrition labels of white bread sold in the US. The amount of sugar per slice is definitely not tiny.

The more significant point is that they all taste differently. White refined sugar has no taste except "sweet", other sugars have a unique taste profile. Honey is just sugar too but has tons of tastes, cane sugar, molasses, coconut, these all taste different because they're not refined. Texture is also a big deal (you can't really get all kinds of textures for white sugar that I'm aware of). Larger sugar crystals are clearly superior in all applications

Kekd

How much sugar does your bread have out of curiosity?

I eat a shitton of fruit every day so I consume a lot of sugar. I also like to bake, and I despise anything but sugar to sweeten my coffee.

I hardly ever eat candy or drink soda though.

What the fuck west Canada?!?!

You guys should start drinking water and unsweetened beverages exclusively. I'd say it takes one or two weeks and you get so accostumed to it that you can't drink soda anymore.
What are you talking about?

>0 sources
>arbitrarily excludes things
ok
He's making a bad joke about Alaska

Fruit and veg mostly. Some in bread and dairy alternatives.

Source: nature.com/nature/journal/v482/n7383/full/482027a.html

>source of source
who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/trs916/en/

I guess you both are too STUPID to actually look at the picture you posted.

>"Organic coconut sugar includes naturally occurring nutrients magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, B vitamins, and amino acids.

>Robert Lustig
And to think that Nature used to be a half-decent journal at some point. Pathetic and laughable. I was expecting maybe some second-rate dumbass who cites Lustig, Taubes or Ludwig as references, But no, it's just plain old Lustig himself peddling his same old bullshit. I am underwhelmed by how predictable and superficial things have become in the world of nutrition.

>Mexico and the rest of Latin America not #1

Yeah, nah.

The bread I make myself usually has no sugar. Or if I do add, it's about two tablespoons for a large bread. The Average US white bread seems to contain 5.5 grams of Sugar per 100 grams So, US bread is about 5% sugar.

>over 600 calories from sugar
what the fuck

I add honey as needed.
Even whole milk has noticeable sweetness.

>Organic coconut sugar includes naturally occurring B vitamins
so does my urine.

If the amount of Mg Zn K Fe or B vitamins was in any way significant they'd print that shit on their nutrition label and wear it like a badge.

Which tells me that the refining process used to put that sugar into that bad renders the vitamin content in it so low that if it were printed on the package it would only serve to be embarrassing.

Excuses.
The point stands. Same goes for the benefits of honey, molasses, and maple syrup.
They ARE better than white refined sugar.

Somehow stopped drinking juice, soda and anything else with fuck tons of sugar in it a long time ago. Only water. I don't hate it but I just don't really care for juice and only drink soda when I'm eating fatty oily junk food, which isn't alot.

yucky healthy person get

I'm too scared to drink juice or other processed things because I'm worried about all the sugar added and labeled as no sugar added. Everything is a lie and everything contradicts. How can I know what's actually good for me?

Nice quints m8

I mostly drink water as well, probably 90% of what I drink. Soda very occasionally, juice almost never. I do drink a fair amount of alcohol though.

>Weird-ass sugar shills are posting in Veeky Forums

You boys doing this for free or something? Eating too much sugar absolutely causes type 2 diabetes, even if you prancing faggots want to try and shitpost by claiming it's the insulin that does it.

Sliced bread has too much sugar, prepackaged meals have too much sugar. If you try and argue that we shouldn't be eating these things, you're wildly ignorant of the society you live in. They're not rich kids like you who have the choice.

>They're not rich kids like you who have the choice.

I never got this argument. How fucked are your food prices in America?

Here in aus I can get the fresh meat and veg ingredients to make 6 servings of a stew for less than $10.

6 shitty frozen dinners would cost close to $30.

?

how fucking cheap is meat in australia

>Eating too much sugar absolutely causes type 2 diabetes, even if you prancing faggots want to try and shitpost by claiming it's the insulin that does it.
There is no evidence that sugar causes type 2 diabetes. High-sugar diets have been used successfully in reversing type 2 diabetes for decades, so it doesn't make any sense anyway.

I know for a fact that you've never read an actual study from which you gained your opinion. You picked it up somewhere in popular culture or the internet. Sugar is glucose and fructose, simple energy.

Insulin does not cause diabetes either. Insulin exists to be used by the body, it's an anabolic hormone to deal with the fact that animals generally eat more calories at a time than they be able to use for energy. There is not much point in evolving a hormone that apparently serves no purpose but to make you ill.

Diabetes is caused, among other things, by high-fat diets high in animal products and LOW in carbohydrates, fiber, fruits and vegetables. This is why diabetes is virtually nonexistent in societies with a high carbohydrate intake (and a resulting high daily insulin output)

I don't know what kind of idiot would be poor and then buy prepackaged meals. If you're poor you buy rice and vegetables. When you eat rice and vegetables you end up healthy as a side effect.

You can get a whole chicken for about $4.
1 kg carrots for $1.50
Half a kilo potatoes $1.50
1kg onions $2

Just add herbs and stock. It's nothing special but a cheap way to feed people real food.

Insulin spikes are a thing

Yes the body produces insulin as a multipurpose anabolic hormone of food metabolism, that is correct. Insulin is in fact a "real thing", and when insulin is produced you get an "insulin spike".

Might be because of all the sugar in it.

>that guy who whiteknights sugar every time the topic comes up

>Eating too much sugar absolutely causes type 2 diabetes

Drinking too much water will cause drowning.

Not an argument.

> High-sugar diets have been used successfully in reversing type 2 diabetes for decades, so it doesn't make any sense anyway.
>Diabetes is caused, among other things, by high-fat diets high in animal products and LOW in carbohydrates, fiber, fruits and vegetables. This is why diabetes is virtually nonexistent in societies with a high carbohydrate intake (and a resulting high daily insulin output)

You're fucking insane.
Do you WORK for a sugar company or something? Own your own candy store? I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD, WILLY WONKA.

I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake. I use splenda in my coffee and tea. I still like putting powdered sugar on my strawberries though. I need to stop doing that. I'm already prediabetic.