What are the biggest memes in each field?

What are the biggest memes in each field?

Physics: cold fusion
Mathematics: set theory
Computer science: P=NP
Biology: telomerase
Chemistry: buckyball

Other urls found in this thread:

sagebase.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

/thread

That's actually really accurate, f am

Quantum Mechanics: many worlds
Cosmology: wormholes
Astronautics: warp drive

>Mathematics: Topology

FTFY

>> Mathematics: category theory

Quantum mechanics is a meme in general, familia.

Comp sci has a few. P=NP is good, but we can do better.

>Quantum computing
Retards love this shit despite the actual applications of QC being confined to high level math/science. The average person extolling QC thinks their phone will run on QC one day. There is no reason for this ever... QC is less efficient for simple tasks and will always be vastly more expensive.

>Artificial intelligence
The only AI that exists is just smart programming. There is no "intelligence" behind any of it. Just code that can deal with new data efficiently.

>Moore's law/singularity
Let's cluster a few data points, draw a line through it and extrapolate it to infinity... The future is limitless man. Physical limitations? Pfft... The robots will find a way around that man. Infinite intelligence man... Think about it... Blows your mind.

Also for physics, cold fusion is pseudoscience akin to perpetual motion. For a proper meme try:

>Multiverse
So there's infinite universes out there, with infinite variability of physical constants and opportunities for life and evolution and everything you can imagine and I base all this on... maybe its real? It's as scientific as scientology.

I mean, you're not wrong.

>it's only scientific to extrapolate theories beyond the current observable and predictable universe when mathematics does it.

Ok

Engineering: Nothing

Cold fusion hasn't been a thing for years

>Engineering: coming out

ftfy

It's a meme that works though

how the fuck are buckyballs memes

It's the most meme molecule on the planet. At the forefront of every chemistry intro talk because it looks cool but it's actually absolutely useless.

Engineering's meme is SSTO

Geology: supervolcano eruptions
Paleontology: de-extinction

I'd say telomerase is the cell/molecular biology meme, but the organismal biology meme is definitely artificial life.

How is telomerase a meme? We know exactly the role it plays in solving the end replication problem in certain cell lines.

>but it's actually absolutely useless.
The precursor to fullerenes and modern carbon allotropes is useless? I saw an article a few days ago on a paper about emitting photons from a planar carbon sheet. It might have meme status, but it's not useless.

Meme means something blown out of proportion to it's actual usefulness. So even if it was a little useful it's still a huge meme due to adorning the front cover of every pop-sci publication

fullerides are superconductors

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

Astronomy: horoscopes
Electrical engineering: Tesla

>i said one thing but i meant another
Just fuck off, no one has time for this.

>>Artificial intelligence
>The only AI that exists is just smart programming. There is no "intelligence" behind any of it. Just code that can deal with new data efficiently.

That's a pretty stupid assessment

its graphene in chemistry. the buckeyball is nowhere near graphene.

next up is probably seratonin. every non-chemistry literate person wants to tattoo it on their bodies for some reason.

Butthurt inorganic chemists detected

>There is no "intelligence" behind any of it.
define "intelligence", also what makes you think humans aren't programmed?

I'm , I'm not even in chemistry, I just hate stupidity. Nice try kiddo.

Medicine: cure for cancer

sorry everyone

A friend of mine with a phd in physics from an ivy league wasted three years of his life at sage trying to come up with a cure for cancer. Their research was a mess, and five years later their research has gone nowhere.

>serotonin
That, or THC because LOL smoke weed erreday 420

Can you point me in the right direction so I can read his research works?

Mathematics: mathematics

Engineering: Right-Hand Rule

Why is teloremase a meme?

t. CE

sagebase.org/
I don't know how much of the research ended up getting published, the original intention was to open source whatever results they had.

Sage really burned my friend bad, the stuff he personally worked on went nowhere, but the way they were setup his department had practically no interaction with the other research groups.

Because people stupidly believe they will live forever if they activate it.

dude immortality lmao

Aspiring mathfag here, why is set theory a meme exactly? It seems like it's been pretty useful.

because
>muh foundations

Are foundations not important?

No. Seeing as we disregard them as soon as they become inconvenient.

Like when?

Psychology: the entire field

>QM
Don't you mean Pilot Wave Theory?

stuff even as simple as basic arithmetic and numbers

Climate Science: Global Warming

When did we disregard set theory in favor of basic arithmetic and numbers? Not trying to be a dick and troll or anything just genuinely wondering,

wikipedia has a good rundown on it

Link me to the article?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theory

see the objections part. there's a whole lot of academic papers written for and against set theory but that's beyond me

Computer/Electronic Engineering: Internet of Things.

It's called meteorology you dingus.

>Computer science: Deep learning

Ftfy

That section doesn't really seem to offer any serious statements of us abandoning set theory at the inconvenience of basic arithmetic, it just brings up the fact that a lot and most necessary ideas can be derived from some type of constructivist perspective. The harshest critique seems to come from Wittgenstein who was more of a logician than mathematician anyway, and the rest of it talks about other competing foundations for math which doesn't imply that foundations are unimportant in any way.

>Artificial intelligence is just smart programming
>There is no intelligence behind it

>Smart programming
>Not intelligence

Copenhagen/positivist degenerate detected.

nutrition: the entire field outside of gross clinical manifestations of vitamin deficiency or various prescribed diets due to physiologic defects (no medium chain fatty acids in MCADD)

computer engineering: IoT

Chem buckyballs? M8 it's gotta be crossed with physics, zero point energy for sure

>implying it isn't graphene

Chemical Engineering: Biochemical Engineering

Hurr you sure showed them psychologists Cletus

>There is no "intelligence" behind any of it.
>Just code that can deal with new data efficiently.

I'll wait for you to realise how retarded this is.

>Moore's law/singularity

Map it as a logistic function, instead of exponentially, and it's still a perfectly reasonable concern.

>Multiverse

It's a perfectly logical hypothesis, which cannot be falsified at this point in time, therefore it is currently unscientific.

Only plebs claim otherwise, however people continue developing the math around it, in order to explore related possibilites.

It's called a hypothesis, user.

Found the psuedo-science fag

For geology, the biggest meme is geophysics.
>muh redite, blueite

>biology
more like chromatin

>EM """drive"""
>IoT
>Women In Tech (aka marketing grads think they can do our job)
>Skylon
>Tesla
>ITER fusion

We've got memes, the best memes.

Being in the field, apart from Volcanology (to which your very apropo meme applies), I'd have to say:
Geology- Sedimentology: Sequence Stratigraphy.
Geology -GeoPhysics: Thrust faulting at inclinations above 30°
Geology- GeoChem: Formation and retro-gradation of exceedingly high T, high P minerals.
Geology- Petrology: Ophiolites & Accretionary wedges.
Geology- Geomorphology: The whole discipline is a meme.
Geology- StructuralGeo: Isostacy following femeral faulting.
Geology- HydroGeo: Salt-water intrusion & 100, 50, 25, and 10 year superstorms.
Geology- CoastalGeo: Beach nourishment & the public (private & govern't).
Geology- Seismology: The wait for something big along the San Andreas fault & post Sevier Orogeny extension in the western US.

the list goes on...

?

EE: tarduinos,PoE, IoT

pretty much marketing nigger shit and wankery perpetuated by IEEE

> 1000 shekels for the datasheet for Power Over Ethernet

ayyy... suck my cock, IEEE. You wannabe ISO posers.

You know why Shenzhen is kicking our ass? Because they don't have patents. The worst thing we ever did was suggest that once you invent something you own it, you are set for life, and you never have to work again. Might have worked a hundred years ago, but it's been holding us back ever since.

Also because the chinks don't let Gringos and foreigners buy Chinese companies... what the fuck are we doing...

>You know why Shenzhen is kicking our ass?
Because they're a manufacturing economy while we are a service economy, they have a lower minimum wage, lower standard of living and are willing to work in more dangerous conditions for longer periods?

And they aren't. The have to steal ideas from the West to advance science.

Economics: Trickle-Down

Well no wonder, it was a physicist working on a medical problem. I don't call animal control when the coffee pot won't work.

I would argue the next in line would be nanoparticles/nanotechnology

>Medicine: miRNA

Technicolour-pill me on bucky-balls and carbon nanotubes.

What could they actually do, what is the pop-sci hype getting wrong about them.

>The only AI that exists is just smart programming. There is no "intelligence" behind any of it. Just code that can deal with new data efficiently.

>Artificial Intelligence
Yes they're just programmed by us, but the robots can do anything by itself that's why they are artificially intelligent.

> pop-sci indoctrinates another one

My great uncle, who was a physicist who worked with flight mechanics and on Reagans SDI, once told me the key to finding the cure for cancer is in the atomic structure of cells. He was also freinds with Linus Pauling, cool guy.

Psychiatry: Disease Model of Mental Health
Psychology: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sociology: Cultural Hegemony
Epistemology: Frankfurt Critical Theory
Philosophy: Existential Social Constructs/Hyperreality
Theology: Apologetics

Ad hominem in response to a criticism instead of a counter-argument/point?
Pseudo-science fag detected.

Actually psychology has always been under scrutiny as a pseudo-science.
Even Freud and Jung called each other frauds.
There is something called the "hard and soft science debate".

The fact you BELIEVE in something without researching academic criticisms proves you're actually not into science nor understand science at all.
Science demands skepticism.

You don't like CBT?

Studies have shown it to be complete nonsense, and in fact it only works as a short term placebo.
The APA, NIMH, NAMI and WHO have all caved into the reality that emotional and behavioral issues are centrally caused by a hostile or irrational environment, which then affects brain development and how the brain functions.
CBT only works as a distraction for a short time when coupled with encouragement to "believe" by therapists that give people positive emotional reinforcement... but eventually that fails.
The only proven solution is better social and economic opportunities and freedom, sometimes with medication.

Nigga I'm working on a warp drive myself

>Medicine: Micro Arrays