If brain uploading technology was available, would you undergo it?

If brain uploading technology was available, would you undergo it?

no

It depends on the implementation. I don't want a copy of me to live forever, I want to live forever dammit.

If you duplicate your entire memory accurately, do you also duplicate your consciousness ?

I'm not well versed in the philosophy behind this by any means, but I would think that if my entire memory was duplicated, the resulting mind would be conscious, but distinct from myself.
I don't know how to describe it, but for it to work out and actually be "me" I think there would need to be a "continuity" between my brain and whatever it is uploaded to.

How would you even know it worked?
Sure, the newly uploaded people would _think_ they were the original, but how would you really know?

Yes

If my brain isn't shredded in the process, it'd be neat to have a backup. However, my personality in digital form would not like being in that form one bit.

>philosophy

You don't need it.

Of course.

>Sure, the newly uploaded people would _think_ they were the original, but how would you really know?

Why would they think that? It'd be instantly obvious something isn't correct.

>willingly undergoing digital schizophrenia induction

I would undergo it if it is into a computer embedded in my body that works in symbiosis with my actual brain

Yes.

Then I'd do embarassing shit to emabrass my silico-copy for the rest of eternity. Fuck that asshole.

If you were willing to do such a thing, he'd be just as willing as you.

fuck no living forever would suck

As far as you're concerned you have been living for ever and will continue to do so.

I mean I definitely would, then I'd kill the original me. My uploaded brain's past would be my current past and I would have much more freedom without physical limitations such as health, danger, et .

hell to the motherfucking yes whatever is necessary to live long enough for space travel

>2017
>sign up for mind upload
>wake up in a blank room with no body
>forced to work solving captchas for eternity
let me see the contract before i decide

You don't need a contract if the following is true

Tell me it runs on a free virtualized OS which in turn runs on completely free hardware.

Every brain runs in its own virtualized environment
in the cloud.

Kernel modifications can only be done with a 60% majority voting in the commits favor

Mind uploading? No, because I would die and a copy would take over. Gradual replacement of the parts of the brain with electrical alternatives? Yes. Then the transition to robotic body is possible.

>Cut out my brain
>Put into vat

The world needs to know of my meemees.

Are we talking consciousness upload or just duplicating the pattern of thoughts? A consciousness upload would require a continuous flow of information between the original and the computer, essentially meaning that as long as the connection remains the two separate bodies will share the same mind and experiences in real time, then the original body can be discarded or allowed to die of age, less dying and more losing a set of limbs and sensors. A copy would only be designing a system which can accurately reproduce your personality.

Either way, sure, although if I were expanding my consciousness I'd want the platform I'm expanding into to be protected against tampering. I don't like the idea of clever hackers or the NSA banging around inside my mind. I'd also totally go for the personality copy, it literally has no disadvantage to me and it means that at the very least my unique identity will continue to live and evolve after my own death, which would be a nice consolation.

I bet you'd also get ads directly uploaded to your brain.
No thank you.

>If brain uploading technology was available, would you undergo it?
Yes. Then I'd kill all humans just to spite all the "it's just a copy" faggots.

What if somebody decided to put you into a digital hell forever? You wouldn't be able to die and you could be kept their for as long as your captors wanted.

What the hell would I get out of it?

No way. No is the only correct answer.

See Greg Egan's Diaspora.

Serisously? No one has pointed out the dilemma of hormones. Our brains need an array of hormones to function properly.

Hell no.

If that were possible, it would need to be banned globally. Every country who refused should be nuked from orbit.

If the artificial structure is mathematically equivalent to the organic original, then it would be irrelevant.

well what are the odds of me needing a backup of my brain. Probably not very likely. Its like backing up a phone. Some people think its necessary some don't.

Agreed. I want this to be less of a clone and more of a Ship-of-Theseus thing.

Not particularly interested. I guess it'd be cool talking to myself but other than that I don't see the need for a copy of me floating about.

some GiTS type of technology would be pretty cool
external memory and whatnot

Sounds like dissociative disorder

All this. Brain backup is as much of a meme as quantum teleportation. The only way to argue otherwise is to suppose the existence of souls. Replacing organs and flesh over time is actually possible, and it's even hypothetically reasonable to imagine swapping chunks of the brain out, even if it wont be happening in 500 years.

Cory Doctorow's "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" had an awesome solution to the paradox of whether an exact copy of your mind is really you:
>everyone who thinks it isn't died hundreds of years ago

protip: if you think the universe gives a fuck about your sense of identity, go jerk off your pineal gland