Industry cooks/chefs get in here

ITT: post pictures of food we've done at work; specials we've come up with, food we've put on menu, experimental R+D food, talk about service, etc. anything pertaining to the restaurant life.

pic related: poached squid dressed in patis vinegarette, ink aioli, pickled spring onions, spring onion oil, crispy fried spring onions, fresno peppers, micro sorrel.

op here
omelette of the day:
filling: chorizo, cotijia and queso fresco

garnish: corn salt (dehydrated corn blended with salt) seasoned popcorn, cilantro oil, picked cilantro, corn crema (made corn puree and corn stock and made corn mayo, mixed with creme fraiche, seasoned with same corn salt), paprika and chili powder.

forgot to add that roasted corn is in the filling.
elote inspired omelette

No one can produce this better than me

>popcorn

google image, but at least im not alone in this board.

op here (again)
had extra terres major steak. made a special

grilled terres major, mushroom demi, button mushroom conserva, ramp green puree, pickled ramps, mushroom seasoned rice puffs

OP pic is really pretty.. the omelette is probably good but it's forgettable (and i hate the popcorn garnish).

i'll see what i've got on this computer..

>sous vide/fried pork belly
>merlot pickled cabbage
>pickled cherry
>cherry gastrique
>habanero/coconut espuma
>peanut dust

peanut dust....maltodextrin and peanut oil?

Cooking 2 1.2 kg Heritage dry-aged ribeye $130 meant for share but some fat cunt ate a whole one for himself, gets carved and served with fresh horseradish and hojiblanca evo.

Cooking dry aged beef is completely different to cooking regular steaks, it feels so different and you have to learn how to test how cooked it is again, poking it feels medium but its actually just under Medium rare

Another shot.
of the steak

When you're in the shit and don't have time to hold pork chops fat into the flattop to get that sexy crackle going

My head chef took that photo, i was busy doing other shit

yes.

>grapefruit curd
>lovage/brandy sorbet
>graham cracker
>berry consomme
>candied kumquat

That looks shit.

no u

I guess I'd have to taste it, but these dishes seem awfully busy flavor-wise

OP here

some R+D work at the house:

slow smoked then seared pork belly, chive puree, grated hard boiled quail egg, soft boiled quail egg, kalamansi compressed cucumbers, hoisin mustard, sauteed honshimeiji mushrooms, quick fried steamed rice bread tossed with togarashi.

i hope thats a starter, cause i would feel ripped the fuck off if someone put that infront of me

Stick to golden corral pleb

This is how real food is served, not retarded leftover shit on a sauce smear. Go to fucking art school if you love that garbage so much.

Why are you so angry?

Because you are so fucking stupid

What's the inspiration behind this? Like what's the intent? Having trouble comprehending it from the description.

You're the one who doesn't realize you're looking at a single course of many.

sio pao. the steamed bun of the philippines.
not an exact flavor replica, just an inspired dish.

its a small shared plate. bold fucking flavors

OP here.

special i ran at an italian place in the burbs: rabbit sausage sacchetini, parm soubise, fava beans, calabrian togarashi, crispy chicken skins, pickled parsley stem

OP here again . just dumping now

R+D takoyaki from home.

from work:
shrimp, peas, yuzu soy dressed pea tendrils, pea puree, fermented black bean chili sauce.

from work:

piperade stuffed boneless trout, pistachio romesco, toasted pistachio, saffron aioli, sorrel

home fun:
rendered crispy prosciutto, prosciutto brodo, parm, parsley flower, spaghetti.

pigtail ragu, pork tenderloin, pickled mustard seeds, dijon creme fraiche, lovage, lovage oil, pierogis

"shrimp dumpling" omelette.

filling: chives, scallions, rockshrimp, sesame oil, chili flake

garnish: emulsified soy beurre, chive blossom, puffed rice, scallions

your awful garnishes have to stop my man

Not sure I love the whole 'asian omelette' idea, but I have to give you props on your omelette cookery. That is pretty damn near perfect.

what do you mean?

thanks, im pretty proud of the cooking techinuque i use.
i was wary at first, but before i out one out for pre-shift before brunch opens, i taste one myself. i would put one out for people to eat if i didnt stand by it.

OP your dishes all sound like they'd be tasty af and I'd love to have you cook for me but:

These dishes are all presented odd. It's like everything on the plate is chunky and mixed together like a stew on a plate. Even your takoyaki has this quality when the brown sauce is in four different spots of different sizes. Your Grapefruit curd had the same problem. Maybe it makes it better to eat so you can try different combination of the ingredients, but it looks potpourri af.

Your omelettes didn't have this problem since they are in one piece and look pretty meaty. Your pork ragu and grilled terres major look like piles of food that are falling in on each other. The ragu especially makes it hard to identify what's happening on the plate. Friendly advice, it makes good food look less appealing.

Your spaghetti and your salad looked a lot more appealing. There's a clear visual style and look that really conveys the food. Not trying to be a white plate fag, but 10/10 would eat.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion and thanks for sharing yours,as i asked what you meant by it.
people have different points of view as to what beauty is. most of the dishes i plate are done at work and follow the guidelines of the chef/owner:
-try to make it look natural, he calls it hand of god plating.
-make it so that the diner can eat a little bit of everthing by taking his/her fork from one corner of the plate to the other
-balance textures, flavors, colors, sizes
-food in odd numbers (includes dots, cuts of meat...etc etc.)

for example, my chef would hate this plate, but it doesnt mean it doesnt look goodsame with this one even number of grapefruit curd.

not saying that everything my chef says is absolute truth, but it is in his kitchen.
dude cant be wrong with james beard nominee in midwest and bon appetites mention of top 50 best new restaurant of 2016 for his new place

>not saying that everything my chef says is absolute truth, but it is in his kitchen.

Fair enough mate, not trying to beat you down. Might look better in person. Still would definitely eat, but I do think the stuff you showed yourself looked better than some of his plating styles. Plan on opening your own restaurant sometime?

By the way, I'm not the bitter anons telling you it sucks. They sound like they want fine dining to look like TGIF's or Red Lobster's.

All of your playing is superb. The flavor combinations seem very complex as well. Where do you the ingredients you use at home? Also you got any advice for a cook of 5 years trying to start cooking at places like where you work? I've never done anything that high end. Just hotels and mid tier restaurants.

thanks for keeping it real and not feeding me bullshit. i love hearing honest feedback.
all of us who are down for the cause should be hyper critical of our own work and be able to receive the constructive criticism positively, all while being able to back up our reasoning behind our actions.

i do intend on opening up a place sometime.

thank you. as for ingredients for home cooking, the asian market, mexican mercados, shit...any ethnic grocery store honestly.

advice:
i can only tell you what worked for me. reading books (flavor bible, vegetable literacy, roberta's, herbs and spices, coi, faviken, and more phaidon cooking books), watching food related shows ( chef's table series, jiro dreams, top chef, good eats), doing internet research.

all that reading and watching is good and all, but what i found what worked best for me was to go out and eat at the places you want to work at. network and get to know the cooks and ask if you can meet the chef. schedule stagiers/stages (pronounced st-ah-j) at these restaurants you enjoy and actually do it! keep a pocket not book. and most importantly, no matter how nervous you are or how busy it gets, push yourself, keep your attitude positive, listen to your chef, and keep your head down and work.
this industry is hard work, so expect to work hard.

I really appreciate the advice, seriously. I want to open my own restaurant eventually, but I know I don't have the ability yet. Seeing the food you make it seems like you are much farther ahead in that goal.

They are just "omelettes" cooked in an immersion circulator. If OP says they aren't he's a fucking liar. Very easy to tell.

"industry chefs"

You mean classroom chefs.

i meant by people who are either line cooks, sous chefs, or chefs who are in the restaurant industry. what do you mean classroom chefs?

>what do you mean classroom chefs?

My guess is someone that graduated from a culinary school but has little, if any, real-world experience.

I worked in catering for a large airplane company. Damn, that food was awfull, except those for Singapore Airlines, that was classy stuff and so was the stewardesses.

OP here
you're a close minded idiot who relies on immersion circulators too much if you dont think the perfect omelet is attainable with pan.

try this, i promise it will work.
you will need:
-6 in non stick saute pan
-1 ounce emulsified liquid beurre
-8 ounces of eggs (blended and then passed through chinois)
-salt
-heavy cream.
-any kind of filling
-small high heat resistant rubber spatula
-a couple folded towels

add the beurre, eggs, squirt of cream, and pinch of salt to the pan. over lo heat, mix thoroughly by moving the pan banck and forth and mixing the eggs with the spatula vigorously in a counter clockwise motion. cook the eggs till a little under soft scramble, should look like cottage cheese.

now for the important part

then, slap the pan down on the folded towles on a hard surface a couple times. this will get with of air bubbles and fill in the surface of the omelet, leaving it smooth and crack free.
use the spatula to scrap the edges clean.

fill the omelet with filling lining it up with the pan handle, let omelet rest in at a warm ( prob about 115F) for 3 minutes.

holding the pan almost perpendicular to a plate, scrape the top part of omelet toward the bottom, guiding it with the spatula. the omelet should roll and be perfect on the plate.

pic(s) related, you can see the bottle of cream in the 9 pan in the well. cook these to order without a damn immersion circulator.

Restaurant costumer here
I don't know if I hate or love those dishes. I love the green ingredients and it seems like they're all well balanced taste wise, nothing is too greasy or sweet or tangy (that is very rare at restaurants where I live) ...at the same time the plating looks so awfully pretentious, and I wonder if the food can remain it's heat if it's served like that.

I may be the wrong type of costumer for that type of restaurant though, as I don't order a table, or try to get an experience out of it ...I normally barge in alone at lunch to eat something. I never order more than one dish.

>costumer

OP here
so the squid dish is a chilled dish, it meant to be a cool refreshing poached squid.

the other plates are hot. the way the kitchen and line is set up.
plates are heated up before putting hot food on them (cold food, cold plates; hot food, hot plates)
from the fire of a ticket to cooking,to plating then to leaving the pass, no ticket is over 15 minutes old, and everything in one course comes up at the same time. nothing that dies in the window gets sent out. if anything is cold or ugly in the pass, it gets boomaranged and has to be refired, but properly this time.

with the collective efforts of the cooks, sous chefs, chef, and expo, we make sure that customers get hot food hot, and cold food cold. all tasting and looking delicious at the same time.

i guess when it comes to the amount of items orderd, it all depend son the dish (whether is a small plate, sandiwich, side dish, entree, amuse, share plate) you order or the type of restaurant you are at.

OP here

yeah i was hoping to have actual people who work in restaurants to post here.