Math GRE Subject Test advice and discussion

How did you study for this exam? I have been working through Stewart like crazy, as well as Dummit & Foote, to a lesser extent.

I need to find a good linear algebra book to study for the exam, too. Any recommendations? Strang? Axler?

Any tips or comments or whatever would be greatly appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/mathematics
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I also plan on buying Princeton Review's book, as well as Schaum's Calculus, fully aware of the shortcomings of both. Would really love to get in the 80% percentile, but I'm not so sure this is feasible

Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right is a text that's very theoretical in the style of Algebraic arguments/proofs. I believe that the GRE mainly calls for more manipulation than abstract arguments. In that case Gilbert Strang's books are probably more akin to the GRE.

tl;dr Axler too theoretical for GRE, Strang Good.

Thanks! Are you speaking from experience? I mean, have you taken the GRE?

desperate bump

perhaps I overestimated the number of math grad students on Veeky Forums

or, more likely, no one cares about my shitty thread

Problem is seems like majority of the people on this board are between the ages of 17-19, i.e, freshmen-sophomores and high school students.

Ever check the math threads? Most seem centric around Calculus.

It would be fun to have a poll asking for people's ages, or a thread in which people post their age, or something

I'm taking this exam in a couple of months. Haven't started studying yet though or looked at any practice tests.

I'm probably going to need to review my calculus more than anything else, it's been so long since I've done any.

Bumping for interest. Also preparing for the exam. Using Stewart calculus, Gallian abstract algebra, Friedberg linear algebra, Ross probability, and a princeton review book to get a feel for where I need to concentrate studying.

How is Friedberg? I'm pretty weak in linear algebra, so I feel like something "rigorous" would be helpful, but I don't want to be stuck with something that would take too long to work through either

I bought the review book, worked out hundreds of problems, reviewed my old books, and did hundreds of definitions and theorems on notecards. I made a 510 and still got in one of my top choices, so whatever.

I think it is a great book. It has a ton of computation problems and easy proof problems. It's not exactly a hard book to work through.

You should start now. I didn't prepare, my calculus was especially unpolished, and the test wound up being pretty damn hard.

Hmm, I thought the GRE linear algebra questions were more theory than computation though? Easy proofs might be helpful for that though

What topics end up on the GRE?

Last year, the main focus was on algebraic geometry,and the hardest questions concerned explicit resolution of singularities. A couple of routine questions about Artin L-functions and etale fundamental groups too.

is this a joke

ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/mathematics

>tfw 750 on math GRE

Tell us your secrets

Math degree fag here but haven't taken the math GRE

> The Quantitative and Verbal Sections are each out of 170 points making the highest possible score on the GRE a 340.
?

This thread is about the math subject test and not the general GRE.

Alright, seems appropriate.

Obviously

oh

top kek

>most of the exam is on calculus instead of on proofs in topology, algebra, and analysis

why the fuck even

Why is my triple integral skill necessariy when i'm doing research in galois theory

Know your single integration techniques. U-sub, by parts, trig sub, partial fractions, even symmetry arguments. Remember your vector calculus also, like both forms of the line integral, both forms of the surface integral, and the big theorems, Green's, Stoke's, Divergence.

Remember all of your diffeq as well. Separation of variables, exact, slope fields, homogeneous, nonhomogeneous.

For linear algebra, you should know your linear transformation stuff, but the exam likes to focus on eigenstuff. I would recommend Axler's chapter on eigenstuff.

The abstract algebra you need to know is group theory and ring theory. Should really focus on studying ring theory.

There will be questions on probability and combinatorics(including possibly graph theory). You should learn a bit of Python, as there will be a question on reading pseudocode and stating what it does.

Real analysis on the exam is usually some complicated epsilon-delta stuff. I was never good at it.

Topology is point-set, should know all of the definitions and basic theorems, i.e., what you usually cover in Munkres.

There's probably more topics that I missed, but I don't remember right now.

Complex analysis will probably be something on complex integration, residue integration, or Cauchy-Riemann.

I got a 790(78th percentile) on the math GRE. I fucked up one easy computational question which would have given me 800(80th percentile). I don't think my score would have mattered though.

thank you thank you thank you

I hope that everything worked out well for you ultimately