I'm a horrible cook

I'm a horrible cook

Are there any general rules when making stir fry?

What the fuck do i do?

Why is the food never crunchy soft?

hotter for less time

explain

sorry, went all technical on you there. let me break it down.
>make pan hotter than you have been doing.
>cook food in new hotter pan for less time than you have been doing.

let me know if that's still above your level of understanding and we can have another go.

still not getting it

PAN NICE AND HOT
MEAT

IN

STIR
VEGETABLES

IN

STIR
SERVE

LOOK AT THAT

STIR FRY
SIMPLE, RUSTIC, DELICIOUS

DONE

Retards are never funny.

Alright now I got it.

Don't use a nonstick pan

That's why no one laughs at your jokes

It can be difficult to get a good stir-fry going (at least on par with restaurants) since most residential cook tops simply don't supply enough heat through their burners (this is even worse with electrical tops).
This will probably be your issue. If you're really keen on getting a primo stir-fry then consider investing in a wok burner or wok chimney.

ebin comeback.

Season beautifully

If you can't get your pan hot enough, cook in batches. I have to do it literally a handful of ingredients at a time, then add them all back together at the end for saucing.

YES CHEF

YOU FORGOT TO SEASON THE MEAT CHEF

>If you can't get your pan hot enough, cook in batches. I have to do it literally a handful of ingredients at a time, then add them all back together at the end for saucing.
This. You plan the cooking time of each ingredient, to keep those veggies crunchy. When you overcrowd a pan, you get steaming going on, and massive lowering of heat. It helps to use a quality pan with a thick bottom that isn't going to lose heat quickly (cast iron works for cheap). Keep your recipes simple, 3-4 ingredients tops. Add the flavor at the end, in your sauce and then your toppings. Then, you simply practice and trial and error til you get your desired effect.

Favorite toppings crunchy: slivered almonds which I toast before I cook anything else (set aside), alternately, peanuts, cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds. Rice noodles or chow mein noodles. Sesame seeds, black or regular, again toast them first, or sprinkle them at the end over high heat. Onions and garlic chips can add some crunch and nice topping, kind of in an indian sense.
Favorite herbs: basil or cilantro

You can always watch some old Yan Can Cook episodes, but know that his burner is crazy hot and so some of the pushing things aside and other methods simply aren't going to work for you to drive off steam fast enough. I pretty much put a platter out and do the batches thing, and then back into pot. I cook the meat first, and then descending order veggies, and finish with the most delicate. Meat goes back in, sauce goes in (has a little corn starch sometimes), and cook 1-2 mins til glossy and maybe a little caramelized if sugars in there.

>since most residential cook tops simply don't supply enough heat through their burners (this is even worse with electrical tops).

Is this really the problem?

It has to be hotter than an electric stove?

god damn

High heat, use high smoke point oil/fat, don't take longer than five minutes, stir like a motherfucker.

Even most gas tops are adequate at best. If you ever go to a Chinese takeout where you can see the kitchen, notice the burners they use. They're massive, which allows them to stir fry large batches of food.

>It has to be hotter than an electric stove?

Yes. That really is the problem.

Best you can do with an electric stove is to get a really thick and heavy pan (cast iron, for example) then heat it up as long as possible before you start.

Think of it this way: If you don't have enough money to buy something you want then you save up for it. Same concept here. If your hob isn't strong enough on its own then you store up the heat in a thick/heavy pan.

There are other alternatives too. If you have a grill you can put your wok over the coals. There are also inexpensive "turkey fryer" propane burners you can use outdoors.

>Best you can do with an electric stove is to get a really thick and heavy pan (cast iron, for example) then heat it up as long as possible before you start.
Okay if I do this will it work?

How long do I leave it on for to get hot enough?

Tip: you can purchase an IR thermometer.

>How long do I leave it on for to get hot enough?

That's impossible to answer because it depends on a lot of different variables.

What I'd do is add a little oil to the pan first, then start to heat it up on the highest setting your range has. When you see the oil just barely start to smoke, then start cooking. Use the smoke from the oil as an indicator rather than trying to magically guess a pre-heat time.

If I use too much oil or leave it on for a long time could it start a grease fire?

I had that happen once and I'm scared of heating oil too high.

>If I use too much oil or leave it on for a long time could it start a grease fire?

Only if you did something really silly like left the room. There's nothing to worry about if you are watching the pan. And mind you, when I say "look for smoke" I mean just the tiniest little wisp.

what do I do if it ignites?

Also can I use a lot of oil if I need to?

Is it dangerous?

You sound so clueless, I think you are going to die.

Okay thanks.

>what do I do if it ignites?
That should never happen because you are there watching it, waiting to put the food in right when you see the smoke. If it does ignite, same as any other kitchen fire: put a lid on it, then take it off the heat.

>Also can I use a lot of oil if I need to?
Sure

>Is it dangerous?
As I said before, only if you're a retard and you leave the room with the stove on high. Don't leave the room or play video games or whatever else. Watch the pan.

You will never cook like gook on a household wok and stovetop. Give up.

Unless you're stir frying restaurant quantities you don't need a burner that large.

He did get you there, user. Kind of telling since all that you came back with was a different version of "no u".