General questions thread

Hi Veeky Forums. I'm making calzone tonight, want to add some champignons. Should I fry em before putting inside?

Also general small questions thread.

Yeah I would.
What other fillings are you going with?

*mushrooms

Calzone without cheese?

>Should I fry em before putting inside?
YES

thanks for answers

not a native english speaker, so I just checked in the dictionary

who said anything about no cheese?

nothing interesting, really. tomato sauce, garlic, green olives, mushrooms, mozzarella, spices, herbs from the garden. maybe ham.

my mother was a cook and she used to make great canzone with grapes, but I can't remember what else was there

Where are you from?

I just assumed the picture was yours.
Yeah, cheese should go inside. Maybe those fried mushroms, but definitely some chopped ham.

I can't see why it's relevant, user. from race I'm polish, but I lived most of my life in china

turned out pretty good, for a first try

yes. people commonly don't dry out mushrooms enough before putting them in shit

That cutlery. Yikes
Food goes one way

Yeah, I had only fish fork at the moment.

>polish chink talking about champignons
u wot m8

I make calzones often, using the dough from the grocery.

I stuff the calzone with ricotta, smoked provolone and one of the following cooked fillings:
browned slices of chicken sausage w/sun-dried tomatoes, basil or artichoke (publix)
grilled onions, garlic slices, and chilies
sauteed baby spinach and garlic

I like to rub the tops with very fresh olive oil and coarse salt before baking (kind of the pretzel idea). I transfer to oven on a piece of parchment I lay on my preheated pizza stone. No dipping sauce!

In both polish and chinese it has its own name, not just mushroom. Isn't it a bit inconvenient? There is ton of other mushrooms, and I don't think a lot of people call them fungi, do they?

Looks alright. Good to try.

I haven't been many places but I know at least in Italy that they call mushrooms "funghi" (foong-ee)

>champignons
jesus christ die

but thats an empanada, silly user.

The only difference between a calzone and a pizza empanada is the dough

it's not. you make empanada with puff pastry or bread-like one.

why did you use the wrong type of knife?

look
actually I don't really get it neither, it's a set of fish forks and obviously not fish knives. most of the stuff is packed at the moment, so I use what I can

>champignons
>google this shit
>common white mushroom
k

You needed to use Goggle?
Dumb Shart!

Does anyone have any tips for roasts?

I've gotten into making them because I'm lazy, and I have a lot of free time. I was wondering what cuts of meat are best, what kind of things I can put in with my roast, and if you wonderful people have any secret spice medleys?

Sorry, I never heard of the term. Where I'm from people just call them mushrooms.

are they canned or fresh?

if canned dont bother

if they are fresh then you migth want to saute them for a bit to get the water out of them so you can cram even more mushrooms in the calzone

to be honest ask this guy user

Thanks user. I'm from Veeky Forums so I'm not too sure how this place works yet.

No sauce on the inside of calzones.

Attempting my first no bean chili this afternoon in the crock pot. Recipe calls for 2 28oz cans of tomato sauce, 1 6oz can of tomato paste, and 2 pounds of meat, along with the various spices. I'm okay with that much meat, but that sounds like a lot of tomato sauce and I think it'll be super runny. Am I wrong or does this sound normal?

Tried to make fish and chips a while ago. Didn't really like the way they came out.

1. What beer should I use for the batter? I used Guinness last time but I feel like it was a little too dark.

2. The batter stuck to the fish just fine when cooking, but didn't stick very well after it was cooked. Any way to fix that?

1. I wouldn't bother, I prefer it with either plain water, or if you must, carbonated water. If you insist on using a beer, I would use a mild ale.

2. Have you coated the fish with flour before placing it into the batter? That works well.

Yeah. I coated it with flour before frying.

Some people use self-raising flour in the batter, some people prefer plain, for a crispier batter.

Maybe try another type of flour to see if it gives you the effect you're looking for. I reckon it might be plain flour you're looking for, for the crispy outer shell effect.

Other than that, it should usually be a bit loose. A fish from a chip shop is really a bit flaky, or a good one is anyhow. I've never really seen it get like a corndog type batter where it retains shape all the way down.

Some people also recommend adding a little splash of vinegar to the batter, I'm undecided myself, I don't think it does fuck all.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Just go to a chippy you mong