This kills the crypto

>Google announced a 72-qubit universal quantum computer that promises the same low error rates the company saw in its first 9-qubit quantum computer. Google believes that this quantum computer, called Bristlecone, will be able to bring us to an age of quantum supremacy.
>yfw supercomputers on every corner, or more likely in every hand, is not a meme

tomshardware.com/news/google-72-qubit-quantum-computer,36617.html

that's why I invested in IOTA and Q chips

>So how does it work, Jim?
>Well you see Bill, it works, until you look at it, then it doesn't! But when you're not looking, it works again!
>Brilliant!

looks like you know nothing about quantum computing, and that you haven't even read your own article.

>This achievement would show that quantum computers can perform some well-defined science problems faster than the fastest supercomputers in the world can.
>some well-defined science problems
nothing to do with crypto, fuck off

"Science problems," meaning math.
Crypto is pretty well fucking defined.
I don't think this is nearly as worrying as OP makes it sound, but your argument is stupid.

>being this short sighted
you must be one of the big guys around here

>well defined science problems
>what is cryptography

Prime factorisation is easier on quantum because current complexity can be done faster. You can increase complexity to the degree that quantum computers have to work. > RSA saved.
> New asics come out from Google.
> Crypto gets adopted worldwide because new asics are centralised with Google partners.

it will spawn quantum resistant cryptos lmao, crypto is not going anywhere

Yes but those not resistant to quantum will be dead. Your bitcoin will be dead.

Who fucking cares, just tell me my linkies are safe

This will create an age of cryptography that is impossible to break, ever!

All this means is that old 128 bit hashes are no longer secure. 256 SHA is still fine. But ETHs ECC algorithm might need to be changed in the next few years.

As for people having quantum devices in their hands in the next few years, that’s a flat no. Quantum computers need to be operated very very close to absolute zero (-273 celcius, -460 Fahrenheit). Unless there’s a big technological shift in the quantum space we will probably all have limited cloud access to quantum computers. Like google maps will return the best route found through a quantum computer as the routing problem is very difficult. Or we will all have a cloud based digital assistant running on a quantum computer. We probably won’t own a quantum computer ourselves.

Bitcoin Candy - Get In

Core bros will just upgrade the bitcoin github thing to be quantum immortality with a patch

So f u google

Are there any realistic estimates on how much better a quantum computer would be at finding blocks than a regular computer?
Most people seem to have the mindset of waiting until they become mainstream, but some government or company is going to start pointing them at blockchains long before that happens.

no shit, but like you said, cloud based backends will be a thing, so you use the app on your phone that does the computing on the backend quantum computer

Man just shove one in my wife's vagina. The temp is so cold in there the shit will calculate how to travel between mulitverses, gather every fathomable wallet key and suck your dick while tickling your bumhole.

>hurr it says science so its math so it's crypto
brute-forcing cryptography is not what these early quantum machines are good at. "some well-defined" doesn't mean "all decently defined". work on your reading comprehension, mate.

if you would maybe use some of the brain cells you might have inside your head, you would understand that I was responding to the OP, who claims that "this kills the crypto", while the machine in question has nothing to do with crypto. it's not hard to understand, friend.

72-qubit is massive holy fuck

top lek

what's the point of having an array of qubits? it's not an actual quantum computer is it

>brute-forcing cryptography is not what these early quantum machines are good at. "some well-defined" doesn't mean "all decently defined". work on your reading comprehension, mate.
Except it's been known for decades that any quantum computer is going to be able to tear through all of the public key cryptographic algorithms that are in wide use today. Look up Shor's algorithm and stfu.

72 cubits, but they've not yet demonstrated it working or achieving the low error rates quoted, those are for their earlier 9 cubit model. Supercomputer in your hand is a no in all but the distant future, they only operate near absolute zero. Takes a dilution refrigerator the size of a room, no matter the size of the chip.
For context on the 72 cubit number, breaking ECC requires around 2300 cubits, with low error rates.
ETH and ETH based cryptos will be well-positioned to survive the quantum era, work is already advanced on modularising things so that a quantum-resistant algorithm can be swapped out when the time comes.
Bitcoin is a dinosaur that will shit itself and take years to make the changes.
IOTA is a joke.
Both ETH and BTC, and those based on them, are safe under one condition: funds stored in an address/account you have never sent a transaction from, since only the hash of your public key is public in that case. Quantum computers can't break hashes, at least, not as badly as they break most asymmetric crypto.
And in theory it could be used for mining, but that's further off than breaking ECC.

What's an hard fork?

Crypto will adopt quantum algorithms before it gets killed by quantum algorithms.

There is no need to worry about quantum computing.

You're not supposed to fuck her after she died

>Shor's algorithm
Does not apply to SHA-256, only Grover's algorithm does. The speedup is significant, but nothing that "kills crypto".

haha this is the best thing I've read today.

So I guess learning to program dApps will pay off

Kek

We're not just talking about the block hashing, but also the asymmetric cryptography that's used in signing/validating transactions, for instance Bitcoin uses ECDSA which is vulnerable to Shor's algorithm

somebody update XMR stak to quantum so i can mine XMR on it

Iota is shit do some research retard and not listen to buzz words you would know this if you moved your coins off the exchange but you don’t and will be poor forever

This. BTC, ETH, devs already have contingency plans in place in there is a gradual development of quantum computing that breaks the currently used cryptography. If there is a sudden development, the whole internet is fucked anyways.

we're still nowhere near high enough speeds on these machines to pose a risk to "crypto" on any term short enough to surprise everyone.
yes, obviously changes will have to be made in the long term, but this OP is 100% FUD.

All this means is those who are smart will get doubly rich riding both bull runs.

>tfw owned bitcoin cash at the snapshot but never got the candy

Fuck you binance

Just a few years ago it was only 9 qubits, now it's 72. I hope for the best, but fully expect it to keep progressing at its current rate, if not faster a la Moore's law. The NSA with its unlimited budget undoubtedly has a better quantum computer that we don't know about either.

If this stuff does get broken, though, it will kill way more than crypto. So there's that at least.

These fucking altars of alien gods already present us far bigger problems than internet meme money being decrypted - I mean you're going to wake up to find out all of a sudden it was Donald Trump who won the presidency.

>IOTA is a joke
explain

Yeah you are a faggot

hahah- wait a minute

>implying that it will never be use to mine shitcoins like other super computers.

moores law, your argument is basically "we still have time to bs". Not really, all the 160 iq nerds at google will btfo the market in 2 years.

Hint hint look at the Cardano roadmap

You're quite literally a retarded child

Nash's rule: Encryption is always ahead of decryption.

>yfw supercomputers on every corner, or more likely in every hand, is not a meme

sensationalist on many levels

first, you have to get to mass production of quantum computing. to make it affordable to the retail customer let's say the device has to retail under $1,000. in order to make a profit the company has to produce a quantum device for a good margin under that amount in today's dollars. all these projects are still multi-million dollar affairs. as long as quantum computers remain specialized projects, no worry.

second, yeah lemme just quick stash my quantum smartphone in my household millikelvin refrigerator and strap that fridge to my arm before i boot it up to brute force some keys. op is literally a brainlet for actually believing "every hand" or "every corner." even if we reach the point of "every corner," the rental and access to them will be supervised and firewalled, since they would still be an expensive asset.

third, op seems to have forgotten something similar has already happened with present-day computers. old 20th century cipher machines are easily broken by today's technology, but its not as if cryptography remained stuck in time while computers advanced. it has kept pace. so even if we reach the age of consumer quantum, we'll have cryptography at that level too.

This may be the worst meme I have ever seen.

this if sauce

mfw >>crtl F : QRL = 0/0

never gonna make it tards