Local Coffee Shop "Barristas"

Happened just now

>pay $2.75 for a coffee from a nice local coffee shop
>Ask for cream and sugar in my coffee when I order it
>"oh, it's right on the counter there"

Fuck that, I'm paying money so I can just grab the cup and go, I don't want to fuck around with pouring cream and sugar in and then throwing the stirrer in the trash myself, why the fuck can't the "barista" do it? They do that for you at Dunkin Donuts and Chic-fil-a, what's the point of a dedicated coffee shop if they can't even stir in what you want for you?

>why the fuck can't the "barista" do it?

Because it's faster for all involved if you do it. The barista would have to ask you how much cream/sugar you like. In the time taken to do that Q&A exchange you could have done it and already be out the door.

Your Barista was lazy. That's it. And the takeaway is that you have your dollar over the tip jar, and when they say that shit, you sigh audibly, and put the dollar back in your wallet and/or you stop going there and/or you write a letter to the management online about the lack of legit customer service.
Notice how Starbucks does not correct you when you say "small" or "medium" and not use their grande term. You're not to be blamed for being a wealthy and well-rounded consumer of so many damn restaurants and experiences that you're not expert at their one specific quirky menu. But, that's opposite philosophy to some self-important Baristas. You found someone who was lazy and going through the motions and forgot to remember he was there to SERVE you and make you happy enough to return for a repeat experience. If he's the soup nazi of baristas, he might not get fired, he might be the owner.

Fine, enjoy your rice milk and aspartame.

Jesus fucking christ

$2.75

A regular coffee starts at $4 in Melbourne, they generally put milk in for you though.

Wrong. First of all, the the two seconds it takes to ask "how much cream/sugar do you like" is not the amount of time it would have taken him to walk over to the items, pour and mix them and walk out. Second and more importantly, someone who does the task all day is going to be a lot faster and more efficient than someone who might do it once a day. Further, cream and sugar are an expected default, not some odd addition that someone /might/ want sometimes. OP is right, and you are not.

Barristas brew coffee and pull espresso shots.

Sounds like OP was expecting the barrista to make him some kind of latte when he didn't even order that.

Coffee shop "barista" (i hate that goddamn word) here.

I will gladly put cream and sugar in your coffee, I actually have many customers who request that I do it, "you guys just do it better". That's my job and I'll do it with a smile. I also will do it for customers who will turn around take a sip, claim it to be too this or not enough this and want a new cup of coffee. That is also fine, because frankly where I work if we sell 1 medium cup of coffee at $2.15 we can waste the entire 1 gallon pot.

Coffee shops are a scam, but that's fine, you guys want to pay for water, I'll serve it to you with my insipid, fake smile.

>Further, cream and sugar are an expected default, not some odd addition....

You've never actually worked serving coffee have you? Sure, some people are perfectly fine with the standard "one cream one sugar". But then you get people who have odd requirements: "I want one sugar and three splendas. No no, the ones in the pink packet" (never-minding the fact that the pink packet is not splenda). You would not believe how silly some of these requests can be. Having the customer do it him/herself is idiot-proof. The customer gets exactly what they want and it saves everyone's time.

>>Second and more importantly, someone who does the task all day is going to be a lot faster and more efficient than someone who might do it once a day

For something complex, sure. But dumping a container of creamer into a cup of coffee? Lol, you're just as fast as the Barista is. And more importantly, if you are doing it than that frees up the Barista's time for the next customer's order. Two people working gets the job done faster than just one person.

Why does your smile have to be fake? People like the service of getting coffee, they like the experience. I used to work at a coffee shop and was completely okay with that. It's a comfy experience for people. That's where more of the value add is.

It sounds like you hate your job with a passion. Maybe you should've studied a career like everyone else :)

Good post. This sums up the discipline problem with modern waiters.

>"barista" (i hate that goddamn word)
what title would you prefer?

failures.

/thread

>People like the service of getting coffee, they like the experience
Bullshit. I buy coffee based drinks because I'm not at home.
I would much rather have a starbucks CNC kiosk. I would be way happier having a cheaper product.
Win-win. Starbucks has lower overhead and the same or higher profits, and I get coffee with decreased labor costs.

>That's where more of the value add is.
The value added is not having to do it yourself, not being confined to enjoying product near your home, and/or not having to stock the flavorants at home.

This. His job is to make you coffee. That's all he is supposed to do. He's a fucking monkey that works a machine.

I'd complain and get that fucking faggot fired.

>For something complex, sure. But dumping a container of creamer into a cup of coffee? Lol, you're just as fast as the Barista is. And more importantly, if you are doing it than that frees up the Barista's time for the next customer's order. Two people working gets the job done faster than just one person.

Why put it on the customer? Maybe they should hire some more employees if they can't keep up with orders without having me do their job for them. Why don't I scrub the toilets there too while I'm at it, I'm sure that would free up tons of time for the employees to put coffee in the brewing machine, pour it, and then not do anything else because that would be so, so hard for them.

So anything besides black coffee is some complex latte? I ordered their regular house brew and politely asked for cream and sugar in it, pretty simple.

It's not that it was one rogue lazy barista, that's how most of the local coffee shops here are set up. There's a dedicated little area for the customer to mix in their cream and sugar. Meanwhile at chain coffee places and fast food restaraunts they ask what you want in it and do it for you. Yeah yeah inb4 "then just go to those places instead if you hate it so much you pleb". I really like the vibe, location, and supporting local business at many of the coffee shop in town, I just don't like that they expect me to do tedious labor on the drink they're serving me. I don't like how I have to spend way more money on a cup than what it costs to make it at home and I still have to mix in the stuff myself. I just want to pay for it be done. Not walk over to a counter, mix in the cream and sugar, throw away the stirrer in the trash, then put on the lid and make sure it's tight. It's bullshit, I expect all that to be done by the employee, service is part of what I'm paying for. It's really not that hard to ask people specifically what they want in their coffee and correctly put it in for them.

Try living in Perth

How much is it there?

>Put sugar and creamer myself
>Tedious labor

Jesus wept tears of rage

>Why put it on the customer?

As I already explained, having the customer do it makes 100% certain that the customer is getting exactly what they want. It prevents delays to other customers when someone comes in with a bizarre and complicated request.

You're not too bright are you?

This is one of those threads again, where I'm not sure anymore who's trolling whom…

>putting milk in a coffee is now officiall tedious labour

>So anything besides black coffee is some complex latte?

Apples and oranges.

That's literally what a barristas job is you retard. Maybe they shouldn't work there if they're so stupid they can't fuck up customers orders every other time. So what if it's complicated? Write it down if you can't remember exactly what they want. Put in an actual effort to be fast and accurate, god forbid you have to work at a fast pace and remember orders in the fucking coffee shop industry.

If it's so fucking easy why doesn't the employee do it? I am the fucking cutomer. YOU serve ME.

Chain coffee places have machines that dispense consistent amounts of cream and sugar for every cup. Small places can't afford those machines so their cream and sugar additions would vary from barista to barista. Most customers enjoy consistency and the easiest way to achieve that in a small coffee shop is to allow the customer to do it for their self. It's not really a huge deal. They probably don't even have that stuff behind the counter to do it for you.

You sound like an insufferable customer to deal with. Congrats on all your perceived personal success. Sorry about your alcoholism/ex-wives/kids that hate you an for everyone who ever has to serve you.

>gimme cream and sugar
>here's your cream and sugar
>IT'S TOO HOT

>gimme cream and sugar
>IT'S TOO COLD

>gimme cream and sugar
>THERE'S TOO MUCH CREAM

>gimme cream and sugar
>THERE'S TOO MUCH SUGAR

>gimme cream and sugar
>JUST DO IT YOURSELF

Oh shut up. Yeah, I know it's not that hard, that's not the point. There are an infinite number of simple, easy tasks that employees do at restaraunts because it's their fucking job. They work there, I don't. I don't feel like doing that shit myself. The customer is always right, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all. Plenty of other places do this without a problem at chains because they actually work hard there and do things at a fast pace, local coffee shop barristas usually seem like they're moving in slow motion and have an attitude for no reason. It's plain laziness and lack of customer service.

>The customer is always right

What on Gods good Earth would put such a ludicrous notion into your head?

>boo hoo boo hoo my life is miserable because customers

should've studied in school kid

>why doesn't the employee do it?

Because the employee doesn't know the exact special snowflake combination of cream and sugar that you want.

>I am the fucking cutomer. YOU serve ME.
>Oh shut up. Yeah, I know it's not that hard, that's not the point.

i just got a mental image of a manchild shouting at his mother:
>MOM, I'M THE CHILD SO YOU HAVE TO SERVE ME. IT'S YOUR JOB!
the fact that you're making such a big deal over nothing rasies concerns about the state of your mental health.

>Chain coffee places have machines that dispense consistent amounts of cream and sugar for every cup. Small places can't afford those machines so their cream and sugar additions would vary from barista to barista.

If only there were some kind of measurement cups and spoons that could be used to accurately and consistently measure exactly how much sugar and cream a barrista is putting in the coffee.

>They probably don't even have that stuff behind the counter to do it for you

Maybe they should move that stuff behind the counter then?

Nope, I'm always polite to employees. Criticizing an aspect of their service on Veeky Forums does not make me an imsufferable asshole. Do you understand what service means? It's on the business to meet the customers expectations, not the other way around. Also like I said, plenty of places are able to do this service without going out of buisiness or screwing up every order.

Managers everywhere.

>It's on the business to meet the customers expectations,
maybe they don't want business from the sort of people who want cream and sugar in their coffee. maybe they're talented and passionate about what they do and want to offer ap product for clientel who appreciate their craftmanship. but people keep walking in and asking for cream and sugar so they put some on a table and say "help yourself".

Do you understand the difference between a spoiled child demanding his mother do some simple task for them and a paying customer expecting an employee do do something for them?

They can ask the customer how much of what they want and the customer can tell them. Yes, I know they pour sugar and cream instead of using disposable packets. They should still be able to discern what one means when they say "X amount of cream, Y amount of sugar".

Lmao. Nope, they're not prentious assholes like you, it's just that they're lazy and/or understaffed.

So many lazy butthurt barristas ITT, oh my god.

I don't get it, have people who've complained about this stuff never actually worked a shitty part-time job before?

If you have, you should understand how few shits the employees give, and how they're unlikely to be fired because no place is going to fire a low-level employee so casually, they would miss out on tax benefits depending on their state.

If you haven't, how many shits would you give about your job if it didn't even pay you enough to live on? How much would you care if it was just a part-time gig while you went to school? Or if you were some immigrant who works several of these jobs for over 50+ hours a week, and could easily get another if you got fired for whatever reason?

It's really pointless to complain about minor stuff like this, because the employees are just going to roll their eyes, along with their managers, and their managers.

They don't know how much you want. People who order coffee are pretty picky and 9/10 times would prefer to add the stuff themselves, unless it's something like a cappuccino obviously

They should have the option for either self service or employee service

I've worked at shitty food service jobs before and been fired because it turns out I suck at food service, now I do something else. People get hired and fired all the time here, employers are allowed to fire whoever they want whenever they want for any reason that's not discrimination, even for no reason.

Again, they do this service at fast food places without a problem. Hipster barristas don't know how to work fast, hard, and accurately, they think it's ridiculous to expect them to work at anything other than a leisurely pace.

It's not always fake, I was being an ass to OP. I love a good majority of my regulars, but there are some terrible ones who don't realize how much they suck.

I really don't hate my job. For what I do, my Monday through Friday 5am to 1pm and no commute is great.

I make coffee, not an artist. To me barista implies something higher, but for what I do, it's not special.

I have healthcare, currently on a paid vacation for the next 2 weeks and salaried just under 40k, which starting in January my life is going to be glorious. Should have finished my accounting degree but I'm doing just.

Or they can just leave it to the customer. They're not going to read your mind. They're not going to risk fucking it up and having to redo it for you. Quit being a picky bitch. It's faster for literally everyone to do it yourself.

HOW ABOUT THEY FUCKING TAKE ORDERS CORRECTLY YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT

kys faggit

They do. When it's an actual order. No different than ordering coffee at a restaurant, they will supply you with the cream and sugar, and you add it. Once again, they aren't going to run the risk of them putting too much of one or the other in your coffee and then you coming back saying it tastes like shit.

THAT'S WHY THEY ASK YOU HOW MUCH YOU WANT IN IT, THAT'S PART OF THE ORDER YOU LAZY BARRISTA FUCK. THEY DO IT AT DUNKIN DONUTS AND OTHER PLACES, IT WORKS JUST FINE

>how much do you want in?
>oh just a little bit
Once again, most people don't know what the fuck they want. Leave it to them to fuck up their coffee.

Omg that racist symbol

It is just funny how people say im a paying customer im always right.. when theyre paying less than 5$ and theyre not regulars
The owner,manager,employee couldnt give less of a fuck of your patronage
Also if you regularly go to a coffee place the barista will eventually know your order and the amouny of this and that you want on your coffee

So vasically the cream and sugar on the counter is for all customers that dont go there regularly

>It's on the business to meet the customers expectations

No, it is upon yourself to decide if you wish to partake of the service being offered by a business, you have no right to expect them to accommodate you wishing to act like a special snowflake.

Either put in your own fucking cream and sugar, or go somewhere fucking else.

I won't even go to a coffee shop that offers sugar, even on the self service counter

>asking for cream and sugar is akin to having special snow flake syndrome

Well I work at a gas station,not a coffee shop but the cashiers have one fancy coffee-shop tier machine and peoole like OP are heavily frowned upon - we are understaffed and our work hours are more than they need to be,yet there's insane ammounts of customers every day. And no,we're not there to SERVE some spoiled manchild,we don't get paid like we should and we're there to earn money to pay our bills and afford things that are essential to every human - not to serve

You're a faggot with too much money. Get a coffee maker and get your coffee right the first time and every time, and maybe not have anymore coffee after that first pot.

>have your dollar over the tip jar
dumbass do you know how little in tips service counters make? it's not like a sit down restaurant. not even in a pizza place will they tip you more than a few dollars a day total, split among the front. If you tip, she's going to cream your fucking coffee, you may act like a complete asshole online but you're exactly the kind of customer we want more of;

>wealthy
jesus christ calm your fucking tits you rockafeler, even poor ass people like me go and enjoy restaurants. I make minimum and have gone to places where the menu totals 100 for two people. chill your fucking ass out, and stop bitching about your coffee, If your time was actually valuable, you would use a quick coffee maker at home for the caps. It's faster, cheaper, and easier than waiting in line and talking to a person in a busy barista. the only reason to go would be to buy snacks.

Cool strawman bro.

The asshole asked for cream and sugar, and he was directed to the cream and sugar.

It steps into special snowflake territory when he insists that the server comes from behind the counter and adds the cream and sugar for them.

No, I want them to do it behind the counter as the default. They should have it set up that way.

>some complex latte
it's coffee and textured milk lmao

>cream

You're autism is out of this world

No, not really.

>"How much cream?"
>"Just a little bit"
>Put a little
>"THAT'S TOO MUCH"
do you understand your stupidity? And if you say to fucking measure it then you just add even more useless time on the Batista that could have been used to make another customers order who isn't a picky bitch like you

Double negative

>more useless time on Batista

This. They say the most vague shit and if you do what they say they'll get upset when you fuck up their special measurement. That is why usually most coffee shops ask if they want room in their coffee for cream and sugar.

>tfw a regular coffee from McDonalds of all places is $4.50 where I live
>going to starbucks with a friend ends up being a $25+ trip for 2 drinks

Threads like these remind me how much I hate coffee enthusiasts, you are some of the worst people I swear to god

Nice devilish quads (^:
Anywhere where the fuck do you live? Around here a venti coffee from starbucks is $1.70 or so. No idea about McDonald's their coffee tastes like absolute shit.

Real coffe enthusiasts don't give a fuck. It's all those insufferable people who go to Starbucks and ask for a grande triple shot double caramel latte with extra caramale and an added three and a half pumps of chooclate.

This so much

coffee in murica and australia is different. Also everyone in melbourne is a hipster fag so we all drink coffee

Do you faggots want the chef to cut your steak into bite size pieces for you too?

It's so easy, why can't the chef do it for me?

>I am sorry for cutting the line, but IS THIS NON-DAIRY creamer in this? I know I asked, but I am not sure because last time I was here they gave me DAIRY creamer, because My stomach was upset after, so I just wanted to double check even though I already walked away with the coffee, again sorry for cutting in line to make sure you did your job right because I was on the phone at the time and wasn't paying attention to you.

>NEVER
>WORKED
>RETAIL

You can spot it a mile away.

You'd fully understand why it's hard to keep track of all the coffees and the complaints and the different orders.

>The worse is when it's a regular and they asked for a coffee a different way.
>The worse is when you did it the way they asked, but the coffees got mixed up.
>The worse is when they order a bunch of coffees and you nail it, but then the next order you fuck up and it was super simple
>The worse is when the customer orders incorrectly and you have no way of double checking it other then also having to write down what you did to the coffee as tangible evidence
>The worse is when someone else called sick, you're working a double, it's been non-stop all day, it gets down to a slow period and the customer is upset you're not working twice as fast because you wanted to take a break for the first time in hours.
>The worse is when you do everything right and proper and the customer doesn't tip, doesn't say thanks, throws the change on the counter, doesn't make eye contact when you try to hand them the coffee, and then tell someone else later on that you were rude to them
>The worse is when you run out of freshly brewed coffee because someone ordered like 10 coffees and it takes a few minutes and people are upset their coffee isn't sitting there waiting for them already before they entered, like it should be.

There's so many ways for mistakes to happen. It's coffee but everyones is different.

>go to local cafe i've never been to before
>pay $4 for a large black coffee
>a little disgruntled at the price, but pay and take my coffee
>check the receipt when i get back to my car to see if i've been overcharged
>mfw there's a ~$1.50 "barista service charge" listed

...starbucks I go to have a dedicated area to putting your own sugar and cream in your coffee.. I rarely ever see people use these stations though. I never use them either.

Christ, the fact that you need evidence against a customer says it all.

Barista literally means barman in Italian. Because you serve coffee in a coffee bar, you are a barista. The word has been used in the English language to refer to coffee-making/serving coffee bar/shop workers for almost 40 years. This is probably longer than you've been alive. Sorry, but you're probably going to have to get used to it.

You remembered to put $1 in the tip jar too didn't you?

>coffee enthusiast
>wanting cream and sugar
OP is not representative of a coffee enthusiast. Quite the opposite, in fact.

And you're a moron for not recognising that this issue (read: drama) has very little to do with coffee, and everything to do with a strong independent black woman demanding to treated with the respect and authority that she paid for!

OP, if I knew you irl I would never stop punching you. kys.

Yeah one thing you learn serving retail is that some people don't realize what they're doing. Zombie like states. People have memory issues and attention span issues and just defects with reality.

I don't, and have some good memory that arguing with girlfriends I can retell back almost line for line what we said in a conversation.

You'd have someone come in order the same thing every day and some people would have it ready when they came in, then they DON'T WANT IT and something else.

OR

You'd have someone come in order the same thing every day and then they ask for something else (it's their choice!) and then you make it, then they realize they didn't mean to say that!!!

OOHHH NOOOOOES, it the people that didn't realize they fucked up and the people that think they fucked up because they normally fuck up....

anyways...

work retail before you bitch about customer service.

>BLACK COFFEE ELDER GODS REPORTING IN!

Nah, I worked in the service industry for almost a decade. Fuck that noise.

standard procedure is to ask the customer what they want before you make it...

>regular customer walks in
>"just the usual for you, sir?"
>"yes, please"

...unless they specifically request that an order be made at the same time every day for pick up. like a local office worker doing a regular coffee-run/pick-up for their office coworkers. paid for in advance.

>I give you money so I own you
>DO THINGS FOR ME
This thread just shows how much slavery is entrenched in American culture.
Think about it before you report me.

Then go to fucking McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts faggot. You sure like you complain, that's it.

>Can't put cream and sugar in his own coffee and stir it himself

kek what an entitled babyfag. Does mommy wipe your asshole, too?

In general, I hate the entire coffee shop barista """culture""" that exists, but holy fuck, you are such an annoying retard that words cannot adequately express how much I want to take a bat to your face.

Fucking die of colon cancer.

>Americans

Why do Americans feel so entitled?

So customers have to deal with you being a lazy useless whine ass because your job sucks? It's nobodies fault but your own that you're struggling to make ends meet. Maybe don't work at a fucking gas station if it can't support your wasted life

entitled faggots like you need to live in the third world for a couple months to chill the fuck out

Because they're trash and want to do as little as possible.

Veeky Forums Pass user since October 2016.

We flag gold members now?
That's fun

>I'm a proud victim of cyberbullying
>since October 2016
filtered, tbqh