Chicken Fried Steak HALP

I want to make chicken fried steak but I live in Denmark so the ingredients might not translate so well.

>Meat

What should I look for? the recipies tell me "cube steak" but I have no idea what that means? can someone from the south please tell me what this is?

>Gravy

This is the hard part. Give me your most solid advice blease.

>Mashed potatoes
Should I do it myself or get some easy powder shit?

>Vegs

What goes well with this dish? I always had sweet pies

Other urls found in this thread:

deepsouthdish.com/2010/02/how-to-make-your-own-cube-steaks.html
youtube.com/watch?v=kYJhshDI2d8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Should I do it myself or get some easy powder shit?
Do you like the taste of potatoes, or would you prefer to lick the bottom of a chemical vat?

>"cube steak" but I have no idea what that means?

It's a piece of lean beef that has been tenderized, either with a machine that stabs it with hundreds of little blades, or by being pounded with a meat hammer.

>>Gravy
This is very easy. It's basically a Bechamel sauce: Make a light roux with flour and some kind of cooking fat (ideally: bacon drippings). Add milk and a lot of black pepper.

>potatoes
Make them yourself

>veg
Traditional southern sides would be green beans, wilted spinach, or stewed collard greens. Sweet corn would be another classic side.

Cube steak is a certain cut of meat. You'll have to see about finding it yourself, since I don't know how to translate it.

>Gravy
It's just a peppery bechemel made with the fat left over from frying the breaded steak

Always nash your own potatoes

Green beans are GOAT

>What should I look for? the recipies tell me "cube steak" but I have no idea what that means? can someone from the south please tell me what this is?

In American groceries, it's a cut of steak that is pretenderized and sold in packs of 2-3 in the grocery. Top round, top sirloin, a leaner cut, about 5mm thick but half the size of a dinner plate, is pounded to tenderize it, or run through a type of tenderizing machine that punches holes in it. The steak retains strength but has all these nooks and crannies on top and bottom. It's like hamburger meat surface area on both sides, but a whole steak. The holes hold your seasoned flour, and when juices flow out during cooking, it combines with the flour and browns so nicely.
You can buy the item and do your own steaks.
deepsouthdish.com/2010/02/how-to-make-your-own-cube-steaks.html

The secret to a nice cubed steak/chicken-fried steak, is not to skimp on the black pepper. Lay out your seasoned flour in a pie plate, and dredge those steaks. Try to smash in as much heavily seasoned flour as you can. Let it rest, dredge again. Use a cast iron since it's dark (if possible), and don't turn that steak until a nice crust is done on the underside, or you could lose your whole crust! I like to cook some mushrooms or onions in the pan at the same time, increases the gravy flavor. When the steaks are done, remove from pan, keep warm in oven on a rack, or quickly pan your pan sauce. Spoon out any rendered or unused oil, and then add cream or stock to make the gravy. Because it's crunchy and kind of rich, my typical sides are mashed potatoes to use with my gravy, and some lighter veggies, like stewed tomatoes or sliced ripe tomatoes w/ salt, sauteed collards or mustard greens. If I'm in a really frying up mood, I like fried okra or green tomatoes.

>chicken fried steak
>"get a chicken breast"

u dingdong

>I want to make chicken fried steak

Chicken fried steak is chicken fried steak because it was cooked in the same oil used to make fried chicken, and while you can do this in a standard pan, ideally, it's made in a deep friar so the oil stays nice and hot and gives you a nice crispy crust. Without using the oil from making fried chicken, you're simply making a beef schnitzel, and not a chicken fried steak.

Regardless, this should get you close...

Keep in mind that you need to keep your oil HOT while cooking, because if you don't, your batter will just soak up the oil and be mushy instead of actually getting cooked by it and being crisp. Mushy, grease soaked batter is fucking nasty.

Step 1: Make fried chicken. Using the batter recipe of your choice, batter a half a dozen or so pieces of chicken, and either deep fry them, or fry them in a pan with at least a half inch of cooking oil. Save the oil.

Step 2: Take any lean cut piece of beef and tenderize the shit out of it. Using the batter recipe of your choice, batter the steak, and then fry it using the same cooking oil you used to make the chicken.

Simple batter recipe using the food wishes method: Season the steak with salt and pepper, coat it with flour, coat it in an egg wash, then coat it in bread crumbs.

Gravy: Using the skillet method, pour off all but about 1/4 cup of the oil, slowly add 1/4 cup of flour and stir to make a light roux, then slowly add 1-2 cups of milk and stir until you get the consistency you want, then season with salt and pepper.

You can also use any classic bechael sauce recipe.

Serve with green beans, corn, or any vegetables of your choice.

alirgth listen user, this will work aslong as you have some bonless meat (it will work with bones too but its not as nice)

cornflakes (crushed)
breadcumbs
parmesan
spices (oregano salt pepper/what ever you like)
^mix this shit together^

coat chicken in flour (helps make the eggs/butter stick)

Dip chicken in eggs (eww eggs and chicken, use melted butter instead you pansy, this helps your "batter" stick)

dip chicken in the cornflake mix you made

cook in oven at 200C for about 20 minutes or untill chicken is done

if you arent a complete failure it should look something like this

Thank me later

forgot to add it helps make it crispier if you put it on "galler" put something under it to make it easier to clean (you dont want to be scrubbing the bottom of your oven from chicken grease)

those are tendies

retard

Do not listen to any of this. This guy is absolutely retarded.

This is also incorrect and this poster could have a couple chromosomes to spare.

cube steak is a preparation of top sirloin or top round. look for those and beat them to death with a hammer. the cubed named comes from the machine that pierces it with tons of tiny blades that are shaped in little squares.

once you've tenderized it, soak it in buttermilk and louisiana hot sauce (tobasco will work, but lousiana is better) over night. let the buttermilk drip off and dredge in seasoned flour. to get the flaky crust, throw a few drops of the buttermilk mixture and toss it around before dredging the meat. then deep fry at 350 degrees F. it should be thin enough that it cooks pretty quickly. as soon as the color is that golden brown, youre good to go.

for the gravy, it's usually bacon or sausage scraps and oil. you add flour to the drippings (this is called singer in french), and slowly add milk until you get a thick white gravy. season with salt and pepper.

i usually dont have bacon drippings, so i'll brown up some breakfast sausage and use those drippings. make a roux, and hit it with some chicken stock, heavy cream, thyme, black pepper, and salt. then add the sausage into the gravy

for mashed potatoes, just do it from scratch. roasted garlic, butter, heavy cream, and thyme are the go to flavors here.

anything green goes well with this. a lot of times its served as breakfast and doesn thave vegetables, but asparagus, sauteed, spinach, green beans, or anything liek that go great with this.

no "tendies" are prefab shit that neet's eat, this is a cornflakes coating for chicken and if you call anything from a chicken "tendies" you should consider suicide

was only trying to give op a nice substitute for alot simpler recipe, alcohol would explain the lack of chromosomes

chicken tenders are the cut from behind the chicken breast. in the 1950's US americans started to fry them up and serve as childrens options and it's been a common child food since then.

tendies are a colloqualism for the little filet on the side of chicken breasts

what you've described is a method of breading and baking tendies

Don't you have a vegan thread to post in, user?

>gravy

gravy is when you take the juices/fat from cooking meat and turn it into a sauce, you usually need a fair amount of meat to make gravy i.e if you dont cook alot of meat you arent going to get alot of gravy

i would recommend making a bechamel with mushrooms instead and if you are able to collect any fat/juices you can always add those

>cube steak is a preparation

They aren't asking for a "cube steak" recipe.

then call it tenders not "tendies" unless you want to be considered a 30 year old autistic virgin or a child

no what i described can be used for any part of the chicken and is best when done with boneless thighs it can also be done with pork

TL:DR dont judge the breading by the cut

cube steak isa preparation of top sirloin ot top round that is used in traditional country fried steak. there is also cubed steak recipes with pan gravy and tons of onions, but thats a different thing

butthurt level 1000

There are no mushrooms in CFS gravy. Its just sawmill gravy.

this is correct. i think its also called country gravy.

Yeah but OP wants to make Chicken Fried STEAK. Which doesn't use chicken nor does it you a coating like the one you posted.

>recommending your tendie recipe

ignorance level 100,000

You're the one who is ignorant.

I didn't feel like breaking down every little bit of your post because the entire thing is wrong but fuck it. Lets do a highlight reel

>Chicken fried steak is chicken fried steak because it was cooked in the same oil used to make fried chicken

Completely false. Looks up chicken fried chicken. They are the same except for the meat used. Its about the preparation not because you fry it in oil that you just used to fry fucking chicken in. I mean, for fucks sakes thats pretty fucking retarded that anyone would even think that.

>and while you can do this in a standard pan, ideally, it's made in a deep friar so the oil stays nice and hot and gives you a nice crispy crust.

False, It is traditionally made in cast iron, usually a cast iron dutch oven but even a standard cast iron fry pan with a nice deep well works.

>Without using the oil from making fried chicken, you're simply making a beef schnitzel, and not a chicken fried steak.

While they two dishes are similar, and in fact there are a lot of fried steak dishes from all over the world, they are their own separate dishes and not really that close to each other.

>Keep in mind that you need to keep your oil HOT while cooking, because if you don't, your batter will just soak up the oil and be mushy instead of actually getting cooked by it and being crisp. Mushy, grease soaked batter is fucking nasty.

CFS is not made using a batter

>Step 1: Make fried chicken. Using the batter recipe of your choice, batter a half a dozen or so pieces of chicken, and either deep fry them, or fry them in a pan with at least a half inch of cooking oil. Save the oil.

Oh for fucks sakes you batter your fried chicken too? I also again want to point out the complete fucking stupidity of claiming that people only make CFS and that its only CFS IF you make fried chicken first. You think people typically make two main dishes per meal?

Part 2

>Simple batter recipe using the food wishes method: Season the steak with salt and pepper, coat it with flour, coat it in an egg wash, then coat it in bread crumbs.

Okay, so here is where we know you are completely fucking retarded. You don't even know the difference in a batter and a breading and on top of that you think that you make CFS with fucking breadcrumbs. Protip its not.

>Gravy: Using the skillet method, pour off all but about 1/4 cup of the oil, slowly add 1/4 cup of flour and stir to make a light roux, then slowly add 1-2 cups of milk and stir until you get the consistency you want, then season with salt and pepper.

Sawmill gravy is never made with oil and especially not frying oil that you just fried breadcrumb crusted chicken and steak it. Sawmill gravy traditionally uses drippings but since there are none for CFS you use butter then add the same amount of flour by WEIGHT cook until the flour is cooked then you add milk and black pepper.

>You can also use any classic bechael sauce recipe.

bechamel (not bechael) =/= sawmill gravy. Again similar but not the same

>Step 1: Make fried chicken
>deep friar
>bread crumbs
>bechael sauce

Please don't listen to his asshat.

Or this one either.

Meat: Round steak

Gravy: After all meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the pan, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup grease back to the pan. Allow grease to heat up.
Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix flour with grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Keep cooking until it reaches a deep golden brown color. If paste seems more oily than pasty, sprinkle in another tablespoon of flour and whisk.
Whisking constantly, pour in milk. Cook to thicken the gravy. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Add salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until gravy is smooth and thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.

Mashed potatoes:

Butter. Lots of it. Whisky pads of it slowly into your potatoes.

Veg:

Steamed string beans, corns, peas etc.

TLDR

>Regardless, this should get you close...
>make fried chicken
>bread crumbs

The absolutely state of Veeky Forums.

>everyone posting their own recipes
>everyone also calling everyone else's recipes fucking retarded
>nobody can decide on the right way to cook chicken fried steak
>OP is never going to get the perfect chicken fried steak recipe he wanted
What a story, Mark.

dont use bread crumbs

heat oil in a big pot

get one bowl with egg / milk mixture

one pan with mainly flour but add corn starch and baking powder and some seasoning

dip in egg then flour then egg then flour

then put in oil and u got dope stuff

>all that shit to read
Get real, dude.

Here ya go OP.

youtube.com/watch?v=kYJhshDI2d8

Do you prefer chicken fried chicken or country fried chicken?

So you call me a vegan and then try to act like I'm ignorant and then when you get BTFO you double post with TLDR.

Sorry you got rekt but your "recipe" is fucked and you're shits all retarded.

>Im so wrong I wont even read your post