[meta] EU Referendum

Brits of Veeky Forums, what if your position on leaving the EU?

Related video: youtube.com/watch?v=dfef9oKDz80

Now that all those refugees are in, were locking them up on an island. Brilliant!

Make this thread in friend

But the referendum is highly relevant to science in the UK, and thus relevant to this board senpai

Nope. EU business is purely politics, run by politicians. And Cameron is a cuck.

It's a thread for /pol/ coz its politics

Not a brit, but a yuropean who spent some time in britland for a research project (then came back).

>leaving the EU
It's retarded. There is absolutely no diplomatic or economic case to it. The wishful thinking of the leave campaign that everything will be fine or turn in favour of the UK is just that; wishful thinking. At best, they'll be in for 1-2 decades of lost growth, and at worst they'll go through a crippling recession. Every relevant financial institution in the world and a huge majority of economist said so. But sure, the words of some pint-waving opportunists are worth much more. If your GDP is plummeting, you're not going to do a lot of science. That is on the top of the fact that the UK has one of the lowest science funding in the western world (less than 1% of GDP versus 3 for Germany). I thus believe Stephen Hawking (and about 100 other royal academy members) are correct to think this will be a disaster for UK science.

Now, on to the bits of retardation I often has the misfortune to read online. (next post)

>b-b-but CERN, ESA, ESO, etc aren't EU-related!
Indeed they're not. But they're supported by the EU in many ways, mostly financial and legal. Industrial procurement policies are based on EU laws and machinery is ordered in € for all these institutions. Moreover, while these experiments gather data, the bulk of the scientific work is done in universities. And these depend a lot on EU funding, both for money and for the ability to hire whoever they want regardless of (european) nationality. Same goes for internal R&D project: they depend on EU grants both for money and for collaboration opportunities.

Research was very isolated 40 years ago, and now we observe a "reverse" brain drain from the US on fields like high-energy physics of fusion physics. The fact that scientists can now consider the EU as (mostly) one country, and that they can rely on huge funding opportunities has made Europe a science superpower. More article, more patents, more citations than the US, and not only because of the higher population (countries like Germany do better than the US on these metrics per capita).

>b-b-but we give more than we get back, so we can make up for the lost funding
That, also, is retarded, for many reasons : 1) EU withdrawal will make the UK a lot poorer so it will be very hard to make up for the lost budget (this is especially true for the UK who just spends 1% of its GDP in science, as I've said earlier). 2) Brexit parties are generaly very anti-science (even more so than tories, can you imagine), so I really don't see a Brexit government doing shit for science. 3) A lot of brain drain will happen because of the aforementionned reasons.

>b-b-but switzerland is doing great in science outside the EU
Switzerland also invests about 3% of its GDP in science, so they have a good national science funding (unlike the UK), but regarding EU matters, well the swiss example is pretty interesting. After their stupid referendum on immigration,t hey were barred from the 100 billions € of H2020, which was a disaster for universities. They have bargained their way in again, but 1) for a fee 2) still losing all "coordinating" rights: in short they are allowed to work on H2020 projects but have no say in their direction. The Swiss EU science effort is basically just servitude to the EU.

tl;dr: Brexit is a retarded idea, wished for by retarded people

The eu is the only institution experiencing no economic growth. Britain will strengthen it's trade links overseas with other countries and won't be crippled by enforced migration quotas. Leave is the only way

Remove Germany

>invests in science
lol what does this even mean

>The eu is the only institution experiencing no economic growth.
Bullshit again. The UK got much more hit during the recession, which is why it has slightly higher growth recently. And even that is relative since the €zone is now beating economic expectations while 100billions pounds have vanished from the UK economy ion polls alone.

> Britain will strengthen it's trade links overseas with other countries
All of which have said they have no interest in trading with post-Brexit UK

>crippled by enforced migration quota
topkek

Mind you, As a European I'm pro-EU and pretty pro-Brexit as well because I think it will silence eurosceptic voices across the EU when people will see what will happen to you in the next few years. You have lived off EU privileges for long enough, let's see how you fare without them.

You're a deluded moron if you're certain about the consequences of either outcomes. The fact of the matter is you're an ignoramus on the issue unless you have a history or economics qualification since the issue is largely political and economic. You armchair commentators need to stfu

Nations spend money for scientific research. Are you really that dumb?

>lived off EU privilges
we get 50p return for a pound investment into your shitty organisation.
>silence eurosceptic voices
EU would most certainly collapse without us.
>when people see what will happen to you
I guess Greece was really rewarded for it's EU membership. It's clear you're a retard that knows nothing so just stop posting your're embarrassing yourself

I'm doing a PhD in physics and had long talks on the subject with university deans and research centre directors. This is mostly what they say as well. One would think they're lot more knowledgeable than what dwells on /pol/.

Again, the sort of simplistic views that are so common amongst brexiters. As I've said, your wishful thinking will remain just that.

You're about to see to what extent in about a week. Have fun

Britain didn't really take many refugees, they aren't part of Schengen.

You're a fucking idiot. Bottom line is we put in more money than we get out so could make up for the difference by not joining in the first place. Also you haven't even addressed any of my points.

You are probably from some sad European country that sucks off of the EU and needs the UK, unlike the reversal. Stay mad lad.

The main ways that the UK uses to get wealth flowing inside are selling Oil (kinda shit atm) and servicing other EU economies, particularly with the City serving something like 40% of the world's forex market (it's the main trading area for euros).

Without the latter and since we know that the pound is going to be both devaluating and depreciating, leaving the EU without a contingency plan or a huge, never-before-seen currency reserve is suicidal.

I see you've bought into project FEAR. Leaving the EU is just a return to what Britain was before joining it. I.e prosperous

Fuckwits.