Vegemite

Okay, Veeky Forums help me out.

Americlap here, I just got some of this through the mail, since I've been curious about it, and it wasn't expensive. I think non-Aussies exaggerate about the flavor, because I find it fine, if a little strong.

My question is, now that I have it, what does it pair really well with? Sure, I could keep spreading it on toast, but that's boring. Yes, I could "just fucking google it", but I want to get your opinions, especially those of Aussies, for what you think it works best, for you.

Thanks

Vegemite and cheese mate. On toast. In scrolls. In rolls. On a cake.

Think it might go good on a grilled cheese sandwich, then?

I've heard you're supposed to mix that shit with a healthy amount of butter before spreading, yeah? Like you don't just do straight veg on your toast.

spread thin on buttered toast
it's not nutella

disgusting, salt+salty cheese?

OP have it on toast with sliced tomato on top and black pepper. amazing

How does the taste of marmite compare to vegemite? I've never had either which I know isn't very helpful.

Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a go.

Make vegemite scrolls.
Like cinnamon scrolls, only replace cinnamon and raisins with vegemite and cheese.
Instead of dough, use puff pastry.

Marmite is a lot sweeter. The textures are also slightly different which may offend some people who don't prepare themselves if they lived their whole life with only one kind.
I like both for their mild differences.

Cool idea. Is what said about vegemite and cheese a viable concern, or is it bluster?

Not doubting anyone, just want multiple opinions. I don't want to be sitting on these jars for the next 5 years.

Not OP but have been lurking and in the same boat, this sounds like it'd work. Could probably go further and add basil, balsamic vinegar and some kind of mild cheese such as mozzarella

When I'm making soups and casseroles and I accidentally make them too bland, I usually throw in a little bit of Vegemite to give it a little last-minute flavor.

vegemite toast with a fried egg on top

nectar of the dreamtime gods

Vegemite and cheese on crackers/toast

Vegemite, tomato and butter or cheese another good candidate.

Very common here in Australia, so yes. Some here might even say that cheese on vegemite is the default way to consume it.
It also goes really well with tomato sauce (ie. ketchup). It can also be mixed with plain pasta/ramen for an easy snack.
Vegemite is a fairly dry paste so when spreading on toast it helps to add butter.
It's more spreadable than marmite which is more like a glue.

Before any fellow Aussie criticise that last sentence you should understand that the original UK version of marmite is sold as marmate here in Australia because different company own the marnite trademark. themoreyouknow.png

Spread vegemite thinly on a salad sandwich for a bit of kick. Burgers too.

I always add a little bit to my shepards pie filling for some extra depth

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

i bought a big jar of this once on sale when i was working with my dad, and had it in the break room of the family business. he made a sandwich while stoned out of his mind on some shatter a friend brought from colorado.

he made this horrible retching sound and started yelling "THAT FUCKING PEANUT BUTTER IS BAD, DONT EAT THAT SHIT IT MADE ME PUKE!!!".

He's the same guy that told me that nuttella was mislabeled cake frosting in a peanut butter jar.

its like the man just doesnt give enough of a shit to read labels.

i use it to lubricate the bearings in my bicycle's bottom bracket and wheel hubs. works great! much better than peanut butter (which attracts flies).

use it in soups. Aussie here, its good shit.

Make vegemite butter toast and add thin sliced tomato and avocado.

It also goes well under poached eggs on toast.

I'm more of a promite man anyway, but vegemite is okay.

Very similar but both are different enough that you'll strongly prefer one and prob hate the other. The one you try first will be the one you like, and you probably won't even like it the first time you try it.

Lay it on some toast as thickly as you're prepared to go, then smash some avocado over the top. Pepper if you want. Black coffee. Boom, breakfast.

I put mine on pancakes, need to have butter first tho, I'm sure there's here that do the same

others here***

I'm drunk... proving I'm an aussie I guess :/